Catalytic converter Anti-theft

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Make the recyclers log who is bringing the converters to them... they are the one's giving the thieves money for them, right?
My thinking is that as long as it is profitable for the scumbags, the cats will continue to be stolen. There must be way to stop them from getting cash or the thefts continue. It is at the recyclers where the business must stop.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
i get that the thefts aren't high enough numbers to make people really worry.
thats just optimism and a fair argument.

Let me ask you this question, how many of you own trailers? how many of you have had a trailer or its contents stolen? how many of you lock your trailer in some way?

I think there is a fair comparison in rates to both types of thefts in my area.
so those that are comfortable leaving their cat unprotected, would you shame a trailer owner for the same choice to protect their property?
I look at trailers completely different for multiple reasons.

A. Trailers and their contents are much more valuable.

B. An unlocked trailer is a bigger crime of opportunity. Any jackass with a hitch can drive by, listen to the wrong shoulder, and be down the road in seconds. A person stealing a cat is looking to do it.

C. Slapping a padlock on hitch is a much simpler remedy than the proposed cat security devices. The "yield" in security and peace of mind is much greater than that of the proposed cat security devices.

D. A padlock on an unhitched trailer, to me, would be one of those common sense security steps I mentioned earlier.

To me it's a reach to compare the two.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
As a side note: Garages / barns are awesome.

Folks are always telling me.. "I/we drove by your place the other day, looked like nobody was home?"

Exactly. A place for everything... and everything in it's place.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Is it really an issue?

Or do the local news stations hype it up and pass the same bullshit story around the nation?

Despite the news saying it's an issue here I've yet to hear of 1 individual I know who has had this happen.

A quick Google search shows Denver had 15 stolen in 2019, 257 in 2020, and so far this year 108.

Not something I'm going to waste my time worrying about.
My cousin's fiance had the cat(s?) stolen TWICE from his Honda Accord in Chicago. One time it was parked on the street outside their home. The other time it was in a parking lot outside a movie theater. All they need is 2 minutes and sawzall apparently.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I can't speak for others places in the US, but....

Here in New Mexico, anyone selling scrap to a local dealer, must show PHOTO IDs (for some reason, you can vote without one?). All of the dealers here in Roswell, are on the lookout for copper of any sort, and cat converters.

Alas, I suspect most are being fenced in Ole Mexico. If you can wade in 2 inches of water, crossing the border near Deming, is rather easy.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
i compared the two because of the rates of theft, and i get some trailers are mucho denero, especially with toys inside, but so are some cats, price one with install labor and you tear up a little if it was cash out of your pocket.
trailers are different though, because you gotta move them well out of the area, hide them in a large building or paint them. that costs extra and the risk is higher to the thief. not as attractive to steal as one might think.
cats...the local metal recycler, boom cash in your pocket. anyone with a stolen recip saw is ready for business.

like i said before, the theft rate doesnt make me think i need to extra protect mine, but its also high enough that there should be concern.
I get 'cha. And I appreciate the point. Just don't see them the same.

My cousin's fiance had the cat(s?) stolen TWICE from his Honda Accord in Chicago. One time it was parked on the street outside their home. The other time it was in a parking lot outside a movie theater. All they need is 2 minutes and sawzall apparently.
I've seen Shameless I'm not surprised.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I've said it before, but will again, with pictures for clarity. I think you honestly have a higher chance of the truck being stolen than the cat on these Rangers.

This is the type of cat that theives look to steal. Cut the exhaust pipe on both ends and be in and out in under 2 minutes:
63KQMFF5Z5DALD3BEYOPIWNDQ4.jpg

On our Rangers, the cat is built into the downpipe, which is bolted to the turbo. Here is a picture of the downpipe from under the truck. Note that it goes up quite a bit from here to bolt to the turbo:
20210518_223736.jpg

While you could cut this side out fairly easily, there is no access from the top to cut it, and if you did, you would effectively ruin the downpipe. Here it is from the top. You can see one of the nuts that holds it on.
20210518_223841.jpg

For reference the is what the downpipe looks like. This is an aftermarket downpipe from SPD Performance. The wide part in the middle is the cat.
20210518_224008.jpg

My point is that the cat sits vertically in an area that does not have enough clearance for any cutting tools, unlike the cats like my first picture that sit horizontally and are easy to cut out.

Of course anything can happen, but realistically, I dont think you have anything to worry about.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I've said it before, but will again, with pictures for clarity. I think you honestly have a higher chance of the truck being stolen than the cat on these Rangers.

This is the type of cat that theives look to steal. Cut the exhaust pipe on both ends and be in and out in under 2 minutes:

On our Rangers, the cat is built into the downpipe, which is bolted to the turbo. Here is a picture of the downpipe from under the truck. Note that it goes up quite a bit from here to bolt to the turbo:
20210518_223736.jpg

While you could cut this side out fairly easily, there is no access from the top to cut it, and if you did, you would effectively ruin the downpipe. Here it is from the top. You can see one of the nuts that holds it on.
20210518_223841.jpg

For reference the is what the downpipe looks like. This is an aftermarket downpipe from SPD Performance. The wide part in the middle is the cat.
20210518_224008.jpg

My point is that the cat sits vertically in an area that does not have enough clearance for any cutting tools, unlike the cats like my first picture that sit horizontally and are easy to cut out.

Of course anything can happen, but realistically, I dont think you have anything to worry about.
Need a right angle saws all ?

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I have a Ruger .357 security system
I am a Life member of the NRA and a member of the California Rifle and Pistol Assn. so I support the 2nd Amendment. Having said that, I can tell you, at least in California, shooting someone for property thief will put you away for a very long time. Not saying that is right, just saying that is the way it is.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
so you're also planning to kill someone over car parts? seems reasonable.
When it comes to my ranger, yes!

Realistically, don't think I'd shoot someone over it, but I'd sure want to.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I am a Life member of the NRA and a member of the California Rifle and Pistol Assn. so I support the 2nd Amendment. Having said that, I can tell you, at least in California, shooting someone for property thief will put you away for a very long time. Not saying that is right, just saying that is the way it is.
It's sad when you cant even protect yourself or your property against thieves in fear of being the one labeled "the bad guy". :(

Edit: I don't condone killing someone but you should have every right to protect yourself and what's yours.

Last edited:

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
It's sad when you cant even protect yourself or your property against thieves in fear of being the one labeled "the bad guy". :(

Edit: I don't condone killing someone but you should have every right to protect yourself and what's yours.
Wouldn't be your fault if culprit accidentally tripped and hit their head on the rock you were carrying...:angel:

robusta

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4

20210518_223736.jpg

20210518_223841.jpg

20210518_224008.jpg

How do you like the SPD downpipe? I'm thinking of getting one but I don't want it to be extremely loud, especially on start up. How is the sound difference for you? Can it be heard from inside the cabin?
Sponsored