Catalytic Converter Protection

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
The Toyota dealer that sold the Prius to us said that they have had a couple dozen converter thefts from their lot. This is a big deal in CARB emissions states (not NH, but our neighbors in MA) because legal compliance requires an OEM or other CARB-certified replacement part. The OEM converter is a very high-quality part, and costs up to $2500 for the part alone. I think that there is only one aftermarket supplier (MillerCat) with certified replacement converters. Supplies are not abundant, and it can take weeks, or months, to get one. For an older car, like the still-popular and still viable 2nd generation Prius, that ended production in 2009, the cost of repair means that the car is a total loss to the insurance companies, so you pay out-of-pocket or lose the car. $250 for a theft deterrent is a cost that Iā€™m willing to pay.

Iā€™m glad that the Ranger converter is hard to access. One less thing to think about.
Sponsored

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Where I live I haven't heard of cat theft as a problem in a while. A few yeas back they passed a law requiring recyclers to photocopy an file drivers licenses of people "scrapping" cats. If they don't an are caught the get huge fines.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone used this product to prevent your catalytic converter from being stolen?

One got stolen in my work parking lot so I went exploring for solutions.

https://www.catstrap.net/
Wow, been looking for a solution as well, this a nice solution and price as well. Yeah, there have been Catalytic breaking in my neighborhood.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
To get one out of a Ranger would be something to see. Not that it couldnā€™t happen but my bet is it would be the last on the lot to go after. Not easy to get at at all.
Do you think Ford did that on purpose?

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Do you think Ford did that on purpose?
That converter is purposely close to the engine to warm it up more quickly from cold start, decreasing the time to closed-loop operation, reducing emissions, and saving fuel. I first noticed this in the early 2000s in economy cars. Itā€˜s smart, but a real pain to work on in close quarters, and probably harder to steal for the same reason.

ranger4x

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 301a
I will say moving won't fix the cat theft issue. I live in a very safe/high cost of living area, and cat thefts are still pretty common. If you park your car outside you're at risk regardless of where you live as long as its a population dense area.
We've found that thieves tend to gravitate toward the nicer/safer areas of our city. Had my toy hauler stolen right out of my driveway (found my hitch lock laying on the ground), then my F250 stolen twice. Alarm, kill switch and cameras didn't stop them. Hell the second time the truck was stolen I had a friggin parkin boot on it and they cut that sucker off with bolt cutters. Not much in the way of cat thefts around here, the tweakers come in from surrounding areas and just take the whole dam vehicle. Ford didn't put the PATS system in the F250/F350 until 2008 so my 2002 F250 was stolen with just a screwdriver both times.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
It's literally just news that is not real, ie, fake
I was being facetious. ;)
I will say moving won't fix the cat theft issue. I live in a very safe/high cost of living area, and cat thefts are still pretty common. If you park your car outside you're at risk regardless of where you live as long as its a population dense area.
You're not looking far enough away then.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
That converter is purposely close to the engine to warm it up more quickly from cold start, decreasing the time to closed-loop operation, reducing emissions, and saving fuel. I first noticed this in the early 2000s in economy cars. Itā€˜s smart, but a real pain to work on in close quarters, and probably harder to steal for the same reason.
So on purpose, but not necessarily for the theft issue.

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I don't know what "fake news" is.

But I do know that all news reporting has some sort of bias to it. The secret is ferreting that out.

For example, Colorado is on track to have 5,000 catalytic converter thefts this year. There are roughly 1.75 million cars registered here. We have about 70,000 hail damage claims per year.

You're 14 more times likely to have to file a hail damage claim in this state than have your cat stolen. Yet the local news acts as though the Mafia is organizing some big heist.

It's OK if you want to buy what they're selling you without applying some critical thinking. Doesn't mean we all have to.

And, frankly, if you have that big of a valid concern over this, you should've probably skipped the new truck and moved.
My next door neighbor had his stolen off his truck a few years ago, so I will go let him know you said it's no big deal.

veedubtuner

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 VW R32/2023 CG XLT Scab FX4 Ranger
Occupation
VW Parts
Vehicle Showcase
So this is a motion sensor devise, what happens if an animal like a cat (pun intended lol) or raccoon or something walks under you vehicle, will they set it off?

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Engineer
Wife had hers stolen off her Mitsubishi Outlander Sport right at her place of business- an elementary school parking lot. $3300 later she was back on the road. Got a shield put on as well- another $400. I'm still not comfortable with her leaving the vehicle for long periods of time, but at least it shouldn't happen again while she's working.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
My next door neighbor had his stolen off his truck a few years ago, so I will go let him know you said it's no big deal.
My next door neighbor fell off a ladder a few years ago. Rang his noggin pretty good.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student