First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Military
Hi everyone, I've been lurking for awhile but this is my first post. I did a search and didn't find anything. I'm moving to a place where cat theft is an issue and I'll have to park outside for awhile. I know Rangers aren't well known for being targeted, but it sure would be easy to get under. Does anyone have anything they recommend?

My Ranger is a stock 2019 Lariat with about 14000 miles. I added side steps, an ATC topper, and of course the damper.:rockon: pic is before steps.

20200518_133332.jpg
Sponsored

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Hope you don't have any problems. It is happening around here.

FInoob

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
??
I wouldn't worry about it.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Drive a railroad tie spike through the bed and cat and bend the tip...:crazy:

How about a spot weld or two on cat/tailpipe?

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone, I've been lurking for awhile but this is my first post. I did a search and didn't find anything. I'm moving to a place where cat theft is an issue and I'll have to park outside for awhile. I know Rangers aren't well known for being targeted, but it sure would be easy to get under. Does anyone have anything they recommend?

My Ranger is a stock 2019 Lariat with about 14000 miles. I added side steps, an ATC topper, and of course the damper.:rockon: pic is before steps.

20200518_133332.jpg
since you have a damper you're safe.
thieves associate those with owners down on their luck and have empathy towards them

as far as cat theft deterrents....theres few options out there, none i could find specific to the ranger, but hopefully soon
the plate idea is the option i would most prefer, since it could double as a skid plate. but then i worry too much heat from the cat will not be able to be ventilated...

the cable one seems like it would rattle and bug the shit out of me, but likely works as advertised.

then there was the one of some sort of fibre wrap...which simply jams up any saw blade....might work well to be honest.
Could always slam it, haha… try to steal that cat!

085F7CB9-135C-4C5B-B3F0-D005739AF54A.jpeg

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Setup your Ford Pass app to start the truck every half hour a let it run for five minutes. It will keep the cat hot enough that anyone who touches is will incriminate themselves quite loudly.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager

20200518_133332.jpg
Several people near here have rebar welded on the pipes.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Is it really an issue?

Or do the local news stations hype it up and pass the same bullshit story around the nation?

Despite the news saying it's an issue here I've yet to hear of 1 individual I know who has had this happen.

A quick Google search shows Denver had 15 stolen in 2019, 257 in 2020, and so far this year 108.

Not something I'm going to waste my time worrying about.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Skid plates would make it difficult to get at and you get the extra frontal protection. Your rig isn’t alarmed?

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Is it really an issue?

Or do the local news stations hype it up and pass the same bullshit story around the nation?

Despite the news saying it's an issue here I've yet to hear of 1 individual I know who has had this happen.

A quick Google search shows Denver had 15 stolen in 2019, 257 in 2020, and so far this year 108.

The older Tundra parked in the driveway across the street from me has had the converter stolen twice, the last time about one year ago. The Chevy pickup parked in the street next to my house had his stolen about two months ago. So, yes, its a problem. I don't live in a "bad" area either.

OP
OP

jthompson48

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Military
Thanks to all for responses, some things to consider.

Is it really an issue?

St Louis went from 50 in 2019 to 400+ in 2020 according to a local news article. Per capita I guess it's still unlikely but anecdotally I'm on a Facebook page for my new neighborhood, which is pretty well regarded, that has people talking about it happening to them.

Skid plates would make it difficult to get at and you get the extra frontal protection. Your rig isn’t alarmed?
Do FX4 skid plates cover it or would it be an added plate? I don't have any alarm other than anything it came with. Would an alarm trigger from someone cutting off the cat?

Grooge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Thanks to all for responses, some things to consider.

St Louis went from 50 in 2019 to 400+ in 2020 according to a local news article. Per capita I guess it's still unlikely but anecdotally I'm on a Facebook page for my new neighborhood, which is pretty well regarded, that has people talking about it happening to them.

Do FX4 skid plates cover it or would it be an added plate? I don't have any alarm other than anything it came with. Would an alarm trigger from someone cutting off the cat?

I am from St. Louis. St. Louis has become the next Detroit. Crime and poverty is killing the city.

Good luck.
Sponsored