First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I dropped my truck off at the dealer to have them diagnose the bucking issue. Was debating if I wanted to do change spark plugs and the EGR sensor myself, but I got pretty busy so I figured I would just drop it off at the dealer since I still have powertrain warranty.

Got a call back and they confirmed that the truck threw several misfire codes but never a CEL. They wanted $800 to "fix" the issue - change spark plugs and run a fuel system cleaner. Service guy did confirm that my spark plugs were in poor shape; he also confirmed that they're supposed to last 100k miles. I also asked why I would need a fuel system cleaner at 40k miles. His answer was "because our fuel is so garbage with all the ethanol crap".

I told them to put it all back together and I'll change the plugs myself. Now I'm kicking myself in the foot because I still have to pay $125 for diagnostics. I'll report back if spark plugs fix the bucking issue, if not, I guess the EGR sensor is next.
Sponsored

Last edited:

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I think the accomplished what they were trying to do.......get rid of you as a customer.

$125 for diagnostics has been in place for a long time. You want them to do it for free?

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Hope changing the plugs works out for you Doug.
Thanks Daniel.

I think the accomplished what they were trying to do.......get rid of you as a customer.

$125 for diagnostics has been in place for a long time. You want them to do it for free?
I'm sorry, what? Never was I rude to the service rep. I'm just expressing my frustration that the dealership didn't fix my powertrain issue when I still have powertrain warranty, while trying to upsell me on services I don't need.

OP
OP
Tim Vogt Sr.

Tim Vogt Sr.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Sport, 2021 Lariat FX4

Yes, it should absolutely be free when the truck has a known issue and is still under warranty. The whole diagnosis for Doug's truck is likely crap to sell unneeded work. A new EGR, covered under warranty, including the diagnostics should be paid for by Ford.

There is a valid reason why dealerships' service departments are not trusted.

OP
OP
Tim Vogt Sr.

Tim Vogt Sr.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Sport, 2021 Lariat FX4
Thanks Daniel.

I'm sorry, what? Never was I rude to the service rep. I'm just expressing my frustration that the dealership didn't fix my powertrain issue when I still have powertrain warranty, while trying to upsell me on services I don't need.
Maybe change the EGR yourself and if this fixes the problem, refuse to pay them anything.

RangerSteve

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I dropped my truck off at the dealer to have them diagnose the bucking issue. Was debating if I wanted to do change spark plugs and the EGR sensor myself, but I got pretty busy so I figured I would just drop it off at the dealer since I still have powertrain warranty.

Got a call back and they confirmed that the truck threw several misfire codes but never a CEL. They wanted $800 to "fix" the issue - change spark plugs and run a fuel system cleaner. Yeah right lol. Service guy did confirm that my spark plugs were in poor shape; he also confirmed that they're supposed to last 100k miles. Why it's not covered by powertrain warranty even though they said that's what's causing the issue? No idea... I also asked why I would need a fuel system cleaner at 40k miles. His answer was "because our fuel is so garbage with all the ethanol crap". It's a 2019 Ranger my guy, not a lawnmower with a HF carby.

I told them to put it all back together and I'll change the plugs myself. Now I'm kicking myself in the foot because I still have to pay $125 for diagnostics. Never going to the dealership again if I don't have to. I'll report back if spark plugs fix the bucking issue, if not, I guess the EGR sensor is next.
Literally the same situation my dealer put me in, minus the $125 diagnostic fee. I will not go back to them for service, fortunately there are two other dealers in my area I can go to.

When I got the truck back from the dealer I put new NGKs in. No performance difference at all. Old plugs looked so-so, but nothing out of the ordinary, could have probably went to 100k with them.

Definitely go for the sensor replacement, works a charm.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Literally the same situation my dealer put me in, minus the $125 diagnostic fee. I will not go back to them for service, fortunately there are two other dealers in my area I can go to.

When I got the truck back from the dealer I put new NGKs in. No performance difference at all. Old plugs looked so-so, but nothing out of the ordinary, could have probably went to 100k with them.

Definitely go for the sensor replacement, works a charm.
That's good to know that you had good luck with the EGR sensor. So frustrating.

Last edited:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
They are called 'Stealers' for a reason, especially in the RV industry. I have a very good independent repair guy for both my RV & Truck once its out of warranty, I would never go back to the Dealer for anything after that.

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
That's good to know that you had good luck with the EGR sensor. Starting to get so frustrated with these dealerships.
Yeah, I think yours is definitely taking you for a ride. My dealer didnt charge anything for troubleshooting and changing the plugs, even though that didn't fix the problem. I'm sure they would have done the EGR sensor too if I had taken it back, but I didn't have the time to let the truck sit at the dealership for another week so I did it myself.

Change the plugs if you want to be on the safe side, they're not expensive or hard to do. But it's not helped most of the folks here, so I'd bet yours are probably still fine. The pressure sensor seems like is at least most of the solution for most of us.

I tried a round of fuel cleaner before replacing the parts too, didn't seem to do much except make my wallet lighter.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Quick update, I changed out the spark plugs myself with new Motorcraft ones (Part #: SP-578) and it runs marginally better (I think?), but it definitely didn't solve the issue. Next is definitely the EGR pressure sensor after the holidays. The pic below is of my old spark plugs, they don't look great but they also don't look horrible like the service rep was making it out to be.

I also did some digging to see what is and isn't covered by powertrain warranty as I'm at 46k miles. As it turns out, emissions equipment besides the catalytic converter, electronics emissions control unit, and onboard emissions diagnostic devices are NOT warrantied past bumper-to-bumper warranty. So, the EGR pressure sensor would not be covered by powertrain warranty and if you've exceed 36k miles/3 years, don't take it to the dealer if you have some DIY capabilities. Dealer wanted $400 just for spark plugs, don't want to know what they would charge for the EGR sensor.

Finally, I can personally vouch that Motorcraft spark plugs are going to be your best option. I figured I would try something different, so I got Bosch spark plugs. Wrong decision. Made the engine run like crap, misfired everywhere, so I immediately got some Motorcraft ones at O'Reilly. Autozone was nice enough to let me return the Bosch ones, but just take my word for it and avoid the hassle.

And when changing your spark plugs, it is much easier to unclip the coil from the harness for cylinder #4. The high pressure fuel line (I think) is in a bad spot right above the spark plug hole so it requires some finagling to get the coil and boot out; much easier when it's disconnected from the harness and it took me longer than I care to admit that I realized I had that option, lol.

sparkplugs.jpg

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Well I went to the dealer today for the TSB talked about here. The only reprogrammed the PCM and gave me some story about no fault found for Low speed vibration. TSB 20-2277. I still have another year of bumper to bumper so will see if my bucking bronc is fixed or needs to go back to argue for the EGR fix. I did tell them to check that, but easier to just reprogram I suppose :-/ And I need to see if I still notice the low speed vibration anymore, may have gotten used to it!

On a more positive note - got my battery and cracked E-Brake boot replaced under warranty.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Well 30 deg morning and truck did not buck coming pulling away from my driveway. But will keep an eye on it.
As problem seems to be water or moisture in the EGR control valve has anyone noticed if its worse when rainy?
Sponsored