off idle stumble, rough idle, bucking surging while underway in over drive?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
ok, those with the radar on for issues with the 5g you may stand easy... This is with my 4g ranger lol. 3.0 l vulcan v6, auto. 140k miles. truck has always been the picture of no issue reliability. until this week. Monday i noticed pulling away from red lights a quick and subtle stumble as soon as i apply any throttle. quick stumble like 1 second then running normal. I was low on fuel and figured bad fuel etc. got a full tank and seemed to run fine the rest of the day. tuesday same thing, stumble was back. for those old enough to remember carburetors that were not "screwed" perfect, the stumble feels like that. So i though maybe dirty throttle body etc. so i gave it a good spray of seafoam and it seemed to smooth out. today, more stumble again and while in overdrive at speed when i applied light throttle, enough to gradually speed up from 50 to 55 mph truck would sort of buck and cough like it was starving for fuel or air or even had a bent rim. So im kinda stumped here. trucks always ran great, i keep up with the maintenance like oil, filters, air filters and so on. changed the transmission fluid and filter about a year ago. fluid looks and feels clean still. changed the oil last weekend, new air filter. did plugs and wires about 2 years ago, only 40k miles on them at most. new fuel filter about 8 months ago. Any ideas? i guess one issue in 140k miles is not bad. :frown:
Sponsored

Last edited:

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Didn’t mention what year but fuel filter again or possible coil pack.
Do you always buy quality fuel from the same location?

I had a 97LB, great trouble free truck, kinda slow and mpg’s sucked but reliable.
Good luck.

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
its an 05, edge 2 or whatever ford called it. sort of an odd ball truck. it came with the suspension like a 4x4 with torsion bars etc. but is a 2wd. fords answer to the popular pre runners of that time i guess. the mpg is not great around town. if i really behave on the highway it will get 20 - ish lol. as for speed, its just fast enough to get out of its own way.
as for fuel i typically get the same stuff from the same place but when prices got crazy i had to get what i could find when i could afford it. last place i got fuel was racetrack which i normally avoid but it was the closest place, low fuel light was on. normally i got quick trip or sams club. thats her pre covid. load of trailer tires in the back
1662078357997.jpeg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I had one with a 3.0 in it. Same issues off and on. I swapped out my injectors and rail pressure module. It was one, the other or both but solved it. Injectors on those only last so long and they plug up. Had new ones do that too so def change the filter before doing top work.

Oh! Timing sensor can be another one. PIA to get at too!

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
its an 05, edge 2 or whatever ford called it. sort of an odd ball truck. it came with the suspension like a 4x4 with torsion bars etc. but is a 2wd. fords answer to the popular pre runners of that time i guess. the mpg is not great around town. if i really behave on the highway it will get 20 - ish lol. as for speed, its just fast enough to get out of its own way.
as for fuel i typically get the same stuff from the same place but when prices got crazy i had to get what i could find when i could afford it. last place i got fuel was racetrack which i normally avoid but it was the closest place, low fuel light was on. normally i got quick trip or sams club. thats her pre covid. load of trailer tires in the back
1662078357997.jpeg
Check for a vacuum leak. Those lines get brittle over time.

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
looks like my saturday afternoon is booked up with truck repair. :frown: i was gonna go fishing while the waters moving.

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
so put in a new fuel filter on the 4 g and dumped some octane boost and seafoam in the tank hoping that it was a crusty filter and bad fuel. cranked it up, and it coughed and sputtered more than before. took it for a spin around the block and it smoothed out some but still has the issue. so im back to square one. no lights came on the dash but i might see if any codes exist.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
so put in a new fuel filter on the 4 g and dumped some octane boost and seafoam in the tank hoping that it was a crusty filter and bad fuel. cranked it up, and it coughed and sputtered more than before. took it for a spin around the block and it smoothed out some but still has the issue. so im back to square one. no lights came on the dash but i might see if any codes exist.
Check the vacuum lines?

Also, might want to check your plugs again just because.

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
Ee, fuel pump?

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Ranger5G has overdrive?
I would say the 5g has 3 overdrive gears.
Everything above 1:1.
1st gear ratio of 4.69:1; 2nd: 2.98:1; 3rd: 2.14:1; 4th: 1.76:1; 5th: 1.52:1; 6th: 1.27:1; 7th: 1.00:1; 8th: 0.85:1; 9th: 0:68:1; and 10th: 0.63:1.
Sponsored