Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
power train warranty is 5/60 - I believe that includes the turbocharger
My mistake...
Something else to say about this...there are quite a few Ranger owners in here. A number of them run E85 and have crazy mods, attempting to get into the 12's on the track. I have not heard of a rash of blown turbos or thrown rods or blown engines. These 2.3 motors seem to be very resilient!
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
the local volunteer fire department where i used to live, had a few F550 rescue trucks and had many turbo failures.
low mileage, but driven hard when they had to go on a rescue.
My friend who was one of the volunteers said you could still drive the truck, you just couldn't fly to the call. they became very anemic and sluggish. some specific trucks were onto their third turbo within a year in service, others only failed one. I'll have to ask him if they continue to have issues after many years.
Not sure why theirs failed, or if it was a widespread issue for F550's in general, but they clearly had their lions share of them.

I hope the longevity of our turbos is high, but as usual, I'm sure usage dictates the lifespan.

Fire dept trucks do one of two things.

1. Idle forever and then get hammered to a call
2. get started from stone cold to WOT in a matter of seconds.

Neither of those things will be good for a turbo.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
A lady I worked with had a turbo failure in her ecoboost edge at around 70 thousand miles....I know she totally neglected the maintenance on it. I wouldn't be surprised if she went a year between oil changes.

OP
OP

noidentity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
A lot of people asking about how the truck was driven. I bought it used in Nov. with 48k miles from the same dealer thats doing the work. It's definitely not stock, and if i had to guess I'd say its had some tough miles on it. It's lifted with an air suspension, 20" rims, 33" tires, petal commander, and some performance tune, although im not sure the maker. No one said it had a tune, but its too fast, and only gets 15mpg. I guess it would be easy to point the blame at the tune, but hell, even ford has one out so maybe thats not automatically the problem.

I'll ask the shop how the turbo looks once they have a chance do dig in to it.

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
A lot of people asking about how the truck was driven. I bought it used in Nov. with 48k miles from the same dealer thats doing the work. It's definitely not stock, and if i had to guess I'd say its had some tough miles on it. It's lifted with an air suspension, 20" rims, 33" tires, petal commander, and some performance tune, although im not sure the maker. No one said it had a tune, but its too fast, and only gets 15mpg. I guess it would be easy to point the blame at the tune, but hell, even ford has one out so maybe thats not automatically the problem.

I'll ask the shop how the turbo looks once they have a chance do dig in to it.
y’all should start including these sorts of details in the first post. Lol.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
:idea: Nitrous in the jet fuel!

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
In all reality if the 2.3 has issues with the turbo. It would be a issues with the Mustangs with it. I've done quite a lot of research prior to purchase and the updated 2.3 has few issues and non major ones.

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
The questioning of turbos are over multiple manufacturers have turbo powered gas engines that are getting 150-200k. Are things going to happen yes to everyone no. Shit it may happen to me and I will be thankful I have a 100k bumper to bumper but still bummed.

I'm only saying this because I see multiple replys about turbos failing and its possible but we know they are running just as long as some N/A engines.

Ps if anyone is wondering hemi had a horrible dropped valve seat up until 09 I believe it was, and the 3.6 liter pintistar had bad cylinders 2-4 on most earlier models. Just trying to make everyone feel better. Lol happy Friday

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Another good advertisement for an extended warranty. If he's at 53K that would be the only way that is covered.
Well, I'm almost at 38K in my 2019 and most of you know I run the poo poo out of mine. As long as they don't squirrel with me about my tune...I'll pay the $100 deductible for a turbo replacement. I'm betting it don't happen ;)
Sure won't inhibit me from making my rear-end bump 3 times....lol :turkey::turkey::turkey:
This is probably what the finance (crook) wants us to say. This one should be covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty. But if it was beyond 60k mi and an extended warranty did kick in, it would come down to the cost of the warranty versus the repair cost.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
Sounds like someone beat the hell out of that truck before you got it. I would investigate that tune / commander situation. I'm convinced these motors will last a long time if they're cared for. Quality oil changes, good operating temps before use, and responsible tuning should be the focus.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
The questioning of turbos are over multiple manufacturers have turbo powered gas engines that are getting 150-200k. Are things going to happen yes to everyone no. Shit it may happen to me and I will be thankful I have a 100k bumper to bumper but still bummed.

[/QUOTE]

I rolled up 250k miles on my 1986 Saab turbo - not water cooled and pre syn oil. Turbo construction itself has been improved since then. At 250k miles the seals were shot, so pulled the turbo and rebuilt the cartridge, pretty easy to do before they made them part of the exhaust manifold.

Just say no to extended warranties and helping the finance guy make his boat payments, and most of all understand your auto's warranty prior to posting that something isn't covered.