Blown turbo at 50k [Update]

noidentity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
In February I posted about getting a blown turbo caused by a bad bearing on a used ranger I bought back in November. The truck came with a few mods such as a pedal commander and some kind of tune, although I'm not sure from whom. It also had a redneck engineered cold air intake, basically the guy just flipped the air box over and left the filter exposed.

Anyway, after a month in the shop I got it back March 12, the same day a low oil pressure light came on. There was still oil and it didn't look like it had leaked or sprayed anywhere. I got it back to the dealer and they reported "engine sludge." After an attempted cleaning and unsuccessful test drives, they say they're going to preform "major engine repair" and replace a number of parts. They didn't specify which, though.

I have to give a lot of credit to the dealer. They've been surprisingly helpful and are taking full responsibility for selling it to me like that. After replacing the parts they said they'll give me a new warranty on the parts and labor.

I couldn't get the service advisor to specify what they thought the problem was, all he would only say it was something the previous owner had done. Of course the new parts are on backorder as well, so I'll get some more quality time in the loaner f150, which I'm actually enjoying. If I get any specifics on the cause of parts being replaced I'll post them.
Sponsored

OP
OP

noidentity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Sounds like a good dealership. You should share who it is so people local to you will know where to go.
For sure. My dad is going to start giving them his business. I'm not usually big on writing reviews, good or bad, but they've definitely earned a good one.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
if you don't have an extended warranty - might be wise to consider buying one while you still can. Low oil pressure light not good, could be a harbinger of more issues.

" It also had a redneck engineered cold air intake" love it, great description.

OP
OP

noidentity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
if you don't have an extended warranty - might be wise to consider buying one while you still can. Low oil pressure light not good, could be a harbinger of more issues.

" It also had a redneck engineered cold air intake" love it, great description.
Yeah. I bought a 3/36 extended warranty when I bought the truck.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
I get that you might not want confrontation with the dealer since they are addressing the issue. However, they sold you the vehicle and it has major issues I think it would be wise to be more forceful in getting them to disclose exactly what repairs are being performed. If there’s something majorly wrong with the vehicle that might affect future reliability or resale value you should know about it. Additionally, you should be able to get the honest story from them so you can have a sense of what was done to address the issue. Make sure they aren’t just putting lipstick on a pig!

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I can't believe they would sell the truck with the intake like that.
Dealers will try to sell anything, if they cant sell it on their lot they send them to auction. I've never had good luck buying used cars you are usually buying someone else's problem.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Kinda looks like the previous owner cut the top off the air box. I've bought 2 certified pre owned fords an the only problem I had was a bad abs sensor on the mariner at around 50K an a bad sensor on the ecm on a contour but it was well over 100K when that happened.

glad their taking care of you. you might wanna trade that ranger in in the 35th month of that warranty for peace of mind.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Did you just ASSUME the previous owner’s gender?! Also, it is ‘parental unit’! Geeeeez....

the previous owner was likely doing burnouts and shit, then it started to go south, so he (or his mom) traded it in quick, and told no one of the impending failures that were sure to come.