Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
When a faulty and/or failing transmission is slamming gears up/down, it's transferring all that kinetic shock into your drive shaft and engine...I'm glad mine got replace sooner than later...
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, I most have the only good trans.
other than the first cold shift, it works perfect.
2019 XLT.
Knock on wood...mine was perfect...until 95K miles...

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Mine currently has three things that happen at random. 23k miles.

Weird slip, feels like a dip in power, into 4th with super low throttle and only when super "cold". Not cold outside... relative to operating temp. Happens maybe once a month. No issues once I get on a main road.

Harsh shift into 5th with low to sort of moderate throttle but it's random when it happens. Sometimes goes a week or so in between being a butt at times or sometimes a few times in a day depending on what I am doing.

Harsh downshift into 8th when really warm. Super rare but happens enough to know what gear it went into on the highway.

It had a ton of other quirks that vanished with the tune (cant remember all the goofy stuff it did before.. none of this happened on the test drive or for a bit after i first got it)..... except that harsh down to 8th thing. That is there on stop trans or tuned.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I swear the truck read that and is shifting smooth as butter this afternoon. At least it didn't get mad at me....
I remember the calm...right before you know what hit the fan...I still have PTSD and sometimes flinch between shifts even with my new tranny...

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
I remember the calm...right before you know what hit the fan...I still have PTSD and sometimes flinch between shifts even with my new tranny...
You must look as though you’re having an epileptic seizure while driving:LOL::crackup::crackup:
Sorry couldn’t help myself…

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Weird slip, feels like a dip in power, into 4th with super low throttle and only when super "cold". Not cold outside... relative to operating temp. Happens maybe once a month. No issues once I get on a main road.
I've experienced this too. First shift turning out of my parking lot onto the main road. Loss of power for about a second shifting into 4th. Strange.

About 3 months ago, I actually started locking out 8, 9, 10 gears every time I drive as most of my driving around town is below 50. 7th gear is perfect for this and prevents the truck from lugging. I'll bump up the gears if I get on the highway, but the locking out really has transformed how the truck feels. Most of the jerking during downshifts come from the 10 -> 9, 9 -> 8, 8 ->7 , and then when it shifts from 3 -> 1. So I eliminate a lot of the roughness for me but just limiting it to 7th gear. I started running 87 again because my truck is not trying to be in 10th gear while going 35 anymore so the lugging is basically gone.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I've read somewhere on the 6G site that the 6G Ranger will be getting the 10R60 trans. Which is a lighter version of the 10R80. I also heard that the 10R60, which is a redesign of 10R80, has its own issues too.

From Bronco Nation:

"However, the reasoning behind Ford’s choice to use the 10R60 rather than the 10R80 seems solid. Firstly, the Ranger is equipped with the 10R80 solely because the 10R60 did not exist in its current state back when the Ranger was in development. While the 10R80 may have some advantages in certain applications over the 10R60, the Ranger was not equipped with the 10R80 due to its more robust design. Rather, Ford used it because it managed to meet the towing, payload, and GVWR of the Ranger during development.

Secondly, the 10R60 is a newer, more efficient transmission that is perfectly at home with either of the Bronco’s engines. Bronco Brand Manager Esteban Plaza-Jennings told BN that the 10R60 is more than capable of handling the Bronco’s power output, as the trans is rated at 406lb-ft with the 2.3L engine and 424lb-ft with the 2.7L engine. For reference, the 2.3L engine is projected to produce 310lb-ft of torque, while the 2.7L will produce 400lb-ft."

" While the design is similar to the 10R80, the 10R60 is experiencing growing pains. An issue of harsh 6-7 shift is attributed to the A-clutch return spring snap ring popping off (figure 8). There is an updated housing assembly to correct this issue."

Can't win for loosing with auto transmissions.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT - FX4
I am happier with my trans performance now at 21k compared to 10k miles ago. The delayed shifts while cold are just it being cold, I dont worry about that or push it when its warming up. Locking out higher gears like someone else mentioned has made things much more normal around town and while towing. I have had a few hard shifts outside of it warming up, but not consistently enough to know which gear its between.

I tow a lot also, bought the truck new 15-months ago to go with the travel trailer I'm living in. Towed all over CO last summer, and down to AZ and back for the winter with zero issues. The camper is 5,200# but also 8' wide, I think the frontal area is more stress on the truck than the weight. So I don't push to 70 mph when I have a strong headwind while towing. User behavior is as much a factor in longevity as design I think. Everything is stock on 91 octane.
Sponsored