Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Leveling Shock Kit

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I went the full 2.5. Front is a little higher but not goofy looking, tbh it's not even noticeable unless you really stare at it. I'm thinking probably going to add the BDS shackles to the rear to bring it up a little more. Only $150 and about an hour install I hear.

View attachment 123620
Sponsored

Ryanosaurus

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, Magnetic, FX4
I'll jump in here and add that I just had Les Schwab install the 5100's, front and rear, and the difference is night and day. It drives now as you would expect - the "up-down-up" on almost every bump is gone. The ride is not harsh at all, and love the new look. Had them put it on the middle clip position.

Headlight aim was easy, too. Before the install, in the garage, I taped off where the lights were, and just matched them up after. The adjusters seemed to go forever. I just "knew" that they were going to unwind and end up in the engine bay, but they kept coming out.

The adaptive cruise works great. Pre-install, it actually was not level per the Fox install docs, and now it is actually closer to level now than before.

BTW - you can get that cover off the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) module w/o having to pull any of the trim panels. (I was looking at the Fox install PDF from Ford, and it is (supposedly) very convoluted to get the cover off the ACC module.)

20201128_160646.jpg
rparge, I just saw your post from 2020. When you had Les Schwab put or Bilsteins on, did they adjust/check the ACC for you? Or did you just check it afterward yourself and find it was good? Thanks!

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
rparge, I just saw your post from 2020. When you had Les Schwab put or Bilsteins on, did they adjust/check the ACC for you? Or did you just check it afterward yourself and find it was good? Thanks!
I decided to do this myself, and used the directions from the Ford "Fox Off-road leveling kit."
On a related note, I have since installed one of those grill kits, and it has had no effect on the ACC as well.

Hope this helps.

20220226_151705.jpg

Veesy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 4x2
Occupation
Construction Worker
How hard is it to install these yourself, or would it be better off getting a shop to do it. And any idea on cost of shop?

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
If I could found bilstien in stock I would have considered them. Went with Eibach 2.0 coilovers adjusted to 2.5" , rear shocks and 1" blocks in rear. Happy with results. The ride is great improved over the stock fx4 dampeners. No more rolly polly and break dive.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
How hard is it to install these yourself, or would it be better off getting a shop to do it. And any idea on cost of shop?
Rears are pretty easy , fronts more difficult but doable with right tools and you being carefully with cv bearing. It took my mechanic 4.5 hours to install front coilovers, rear shocks and 1" lift blocks.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I decided to do this myself, and used the directions from the Ford "Fox Off-road leveling kit."
On a related note, I have since installed one of those grill kits, and it has had no effect on the ACC as well.

Hope this helps.

20220226_151705.jpg
Yeah I just installed the ‘Merica lower grille guard and no effect on ACC and installed in about 4 minutes.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
If your truck is 2 wd it's not too bad. There's plenty of videos around on it. The front drive shafts an the chance they pop out an the way they limit travel makes 4 wd much harder to do. If you tackle it yourself it might be a good ideal to take the old struts and the new ones to a shop an have them assemble the new ones since a good quality spring tool is needed.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I went with 1.8"

leveled.jpg
Thanks @Langwilliams, as of today I did too! Just got back from the garage with new 5100s all around on (new to me) tremor wheels and 33s. Love this look, can't wait to drive it more.
IMG_4294.jpg
Are you both still enjoying the 1.8 inch level for front? Would love an update on your experience.

Does anyone know if this affects ACC?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Are you both still enjoying the 1.8 inch level for front? Would love an update on your experience.

I don't have ACC. I don't know if it settled any or if it's still the same height as when I installed the kit. I'm still happy with the ride an look. It's probably better to go with a coil over setup but that's going to cost at lease $600 more.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have ACC. I don't know if it settled any or if it's still the same height as when I installed the kit. I'm still happy with the ride an look. It's probably better to go with a coil over setup but that's going to cost at lease $600 more.
what do you think is better about just doing coil over in your opinion?

hogsrear

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX

Same here, still loving the look. The ride is a bit stiff and it can be pretty jarring over bumps but for the price I am still much happier than with the stock shock setup.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same here, still loving the look. The ride is a bit stiff and it can be pretty jarring over bumps but for the price I am still much happier than with the stock shock setup.
If you could go back, would you do either 1.2 inch or leave stock height instead?

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll jump in here and add that I just had Les Schwab install the 5100's, front and rear, and the difference is night and day. It drives now as you would expect - the "up-down-up" on almost every bump is gone. The ride is not harsh at all, and love the new look. Had them put it on the middle clip position.

Headlight aim was easy, too. Before the install, in the garage, I taped off where the lights were, and just matched them up after. The adjusters seemed to go forever. I just "knew" that they were going to unwind and end up in the engine bay, but they kept coming out.

The adaptive cruise works great. Pre-install, it actually was not level per the Fox install docs, and now it is actually closer to level now than before.

BTW - you can get that cover off the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) module w/o having to pull any of the trim panels. (I was looking at the Fox install PDF from Ford, and it is (supposedly) very convoluted to get the cover off the ACC module.)

20201128_160646.jpg
Are you still pleased with the ride at the 1.2 inch setting (middle) setting?

ACC still working without issues?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
what do you think is better about just doing coil over in your opinion?
The spring rates probably ride better an you lose a little wheel travel since the stock spring is partly compressed on the fixed height adjustable units. I'm assuming this is the case others may know more for sure but a purpose designed unit will usually out perform a modified factory part.
Sponsored