First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Maybe its that the interior hasn't been "cooled to an acceptable level"? I wonder if the temperature you set the interior at needs to be met before it works. That's kind of a vague statement though so I will give that shot, thank you!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Marcospolos

Marcospolos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Mine has a mind of its own. My previous daily was a 2008 Escape Hybrid, which was pretty aggressive about shutting down the engine every chance it got. I am in the minority that actually likes the auto-shut off... but I'm still having a hard time figuring out why it is enabled sometimes and not others. I've read the manual, but did not know I could get it to tell me on the mileage screen. I'll check that next time I'm driving.

My experience has been really hit and miss with it, though, and since I'm mostly staying home to avoid the plague I have not been able to really pay much attention to it. I did run some errands today, and I think the engine turned itself off one time at a stop light... this was over the course of about an hour of city driving, broken up into a few trips - 10 mins to a store, 20 to another, etc.
It should be covered under the manufacture warranty though right?

Crazymonkey96

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Radiographer
I think it might be because the ambient temperature is too high...if the engine shuts down then there is no coolant flowing....and that can heat soak the motor making it too hot to run, but that's just my guess.....I live in West Texas and have had a few 100° days and the auto stop works alot less mid day....try driving in the evening or night and see?

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Ran a couple errands today, and used the left screen to see what the auto-start/stop was up to. Again it only actually shut the engine off 1 time during my errands, and all the other times I came to a stop light or had to otherwise wait for traffic it said the engine was running to charge the battery. Seems odd to me that with a presumably full battery from driving it around yesterday it would have to keep charging the battery after only starting it once... but whatever.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Ran a couple errands today, and used the left screen to see what the auto-start/stop was up to. Again it only actually shut the engine off 1 time during my errands, and all the other times I came to a stop light or had to otherwise wait for traffic it said the engine was running to charge the battery. Seems odd to me that with a presumably full battery from driving it around yesterday it would have to keep charging the battery after only starting it once... but whatever.
Remember these modern vehicles have a lot of parasitic drain on the battery for all the electronic "goodies". It doesn't' surprise me the reason it isn't kicking in is due to charging since you haven't been driving it much.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Yeah, hopefully once I'm driving it daily back and forth to work the auto-stop/start will become more predictable. Thanks!

James Martincic

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt, 2005 Saleen mustang, 2019 ram 2500
I know with my truck that if it is in Sport mode, the start stop feature is turned off automatically

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
My wife's Chrysler minivan was not doing auto stop for a while. We considered it a good feature, until...
So without social distancing it wouldn't start one day(after long period of no driving), jumped and up and running. A few days later it didn't start again, jumped and...
I got curious to see if it was a sealed battery or not (buried so deep I could not tell visually) to see if I could add water. Well, its sealed.
In searching I came across a bunch of battery issues/not starting. Turns out it has 2 Batteries! A full size to start the car and a small motorcycle style battery to keep things running while car is stopped. I think we have this as well, but have not double checked.
Anyway what happens is the little battery can go bad. Once this happens Auto stop is disabled. and then over time the little battery failure will kill the big battery! These puppies are not cheap! Luckily it was covered under warranty - normally ~$700 fix parts and labor. Figure ~$300 if I bought the batteries. Also lots of talk about cheaper batteries that fit not working, needed a specific type.

So long story short if your auto stop is not working or working funky - have the dealer check it out while under warranty!

Last edited:

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
In my case, if I have not driven in a while, it won't stop until the battery is fully charged. Also, in Texas, it won't stop if it is hot out and the AC is "on"

Harleyfever

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Ours is not engaging, Get an engine on operating normal msg, brake and get a Vech charging msg no matter the situation.

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
There is a menu you can display that will show you the status of stop/start. If it won't engage it will tell you why (charging battery, etc). It is in the left hand windows on the Lariat.
My display says Normal Operation and it still doesn’t shut off. Dealer trying to fix via Ford input.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Nice necro....

It does what it wants, when it wants, that's my experience.

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
Nice necro....

It does what it wants, when it wants, that's my experience.
i agree. My Collision Avoidance light came on once in the last year. Amazing. When I needed it, it didn’t. My heavy braking prevented an accident. Dealer is looking into that too. Asked dealer how they check it. He said, I have no idea!!! Hopefully they will find out since so many cars have it.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Ha! I kinda had the same experience, light came on once, for no reason I thought, but never had to brake hard yet.

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
Hello, I was wondering if any one had trouble with their auto start stop not engaging? I just bought it so I am not familiar with all the bugs just yet. I read the manual and it said that certain conditions have to be meet for the auto start stop to work such as it cant be too hot outside or cold, is that true? What temperature ranges does the auto start stop work in? I am in Tempe, AZ and its over 100 degrees F here so maybe that the problem. Is there a way to over ride it so its on no matter the temperature outside?

Can anyone help with this? I would appreciate it!
WELL SIR, THAT'S INTERESTING AS MOST OF US ARE TRYING TO DEFEAT THE AUTO START STOP FEATURE. YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY? WELL BECAUSE IN A COUPLE OF YEARS, YOU ARE GOING TO SAVE A COUPLE OF BUCKS ON FUEL BUT YOUR ARE GOING TO SPEND A THOUSAND TO REPLACE YOUR STARTER. WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT
Sponsored