MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I am not having this issue but it may be because when I pull into the garage, I am done for the day. I honestly haven't noticed if it shuts off prior to me putting in park and pushing the start/stop button. I think a little delay would be nice for stop signs and lights about to change.

Thanks, Jim
I have noticed this issue, and it is ridiculous that the motor starts itself yet again before you turn off the ignition. So I leave auto/stop/start on for most of my trips now (except when I will be doing free-way driving, when I go into "Sport" or "Superman" mode, which solves the problem anyway) but press the "off button" right after the last traffic light or stop sign before I arrive at destination. That way I save gas on most trips, but do not start and stop the engine needlessly (and wastefully) one last time when each trip is over.
Sponsored

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure how much fuel is required to idle for 1 min vs starting the vehicle.

But, the lights here don't last long. The biggest issue is multiple light cycles to get through an intersection.

If you stop the first time, then move ahead after one cycle, the car doesn't shut off again. So for the remaining 1-2 light cycles you're idling anyway.

I don't see the point and have moved to "S" mode almost always to autokill the S/S.

RCNGunnr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Sport Appearance, Hot Pepper Red
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer
I'm not sure how much fuel is required to idle for 1 min vs starting the vehicle.

But, the lights here don't last long. The biggest issue is multiple light cycles to get through an intersection.

If you stop the first time, then move ahead after one cycle, the car doesn't shut off again. So for the remaining 1-2 light cycles you're idling anyway.

I don't see the point and have moved to "S" mode almost always to autokill the S/S.
The two light scenario is pretty much my only issue with this feature. Here, graduates of a certain defensive driving course are taught to leave 2-5 full car lengths in front of them and to inch forward after 2-3 cars are behind them. SO often times in rush hour, I get left with the choice of leaving the engine off for the light cycle, or not being the dick with too much space in front of me. The other issue that arises is the crawling bridge traffic in rush hour, but that is just a constant 5 foot stop and go.

I think the biggest thing for me would just be to have a more forgiving stop cycle that would allow for some inching forward rather then oh you moved 5 feet, cycle ended.

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The two light scenario is pretty much my only issue with this feature. Here, graduates of a certain defensive driving course are taught to leave 2-5 full car lengths in front of them and to inch forward after 2-3 cars are behind them. SO often times in rush hour, I get left with the choice of leaving the engine off for the light cycle, or not being the dick with too much space in front of me. The other issue that arises is the crawling bridge traffic in rush hour, but that is just a constant 5 foot stop and go.

I think the biggest thing for me would just be to have a more forgiving stop cycle that would allow for some inching forward rather then oh you moved 5 feet, cycle ended.
But a 5' start stop constantly would be just awful.

I get the "Intent" of the S/S feature, but feel that it's a method for increasing fuel economy on paper and not in real life.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I end up turning it off when I'm in stop and go traffic for those very reasons. If I find it is cycling too much if I have to wait thru 2 or 3 lights I will turn it off as well. Fortunately, the stop and go traffic (which I try and avoid as much as possible - I'm impatient) is the only place I've found it to be a real problem.

I still wish it would wait a bit longer before stopping - it is too aggressive. I can't count how many times I've barely stopped, it turned off, and then I have to start moving again and it has to almost immediately restart.

RCNGunnr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Sport Appearance, Hot Pepper Red
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer
But a 5' start stop constantly would be just awful.

I get the "Intent" of the S/S feature, but feel that it's a method for increasing fuel economy on paper and not in real life.
I understand your concern on that, but for me a system that would be able to make a smarter decision and not just disable the S/S for the next 20 min because you aren't moving fast enough to quantify an actual cycle as it stands now. I've had it happen frequently where you pull up, S/S engages, you disengage, traffic doesn't move due to unexpected road stupidity ahead, you end up sitting around extra lights, all the while the system is now burning gas instead of being stopped, and in theory there shouldn't be a restraint from the system being able to safely stop other then that preventative built in. If I am in crawling traffic, I've found the sweet spot on the brake where I can stop the truck and it wont S/S, I also use that spot to pre start the truck if I know the light is changing.

cujoquan

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
The gas consumption of starting an engine vs idling is measured more in the realm of seconds (for smaller vehicles, 7 seconds of idling == 1 start cycle's worth of fuel consumption)

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The gas consumption of starting an engine vs idling is measured more in the realm of seconds (for smaller vehicles, 7 seconds of idling == 1 start cycle's worth of fuel consumption)
Interesting. This type of discussion came up years ago back in the mid-90s.... Some report mentioned that it's better to idle for anything under 60s of time and to turn the engine off for anything over that.... but obviously "cleaner" starts have changed the game.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I end up turning it off when I'm in stop and go traffic for those very reasons. If I find it is cycling too much if I have to wait thru 2 or 3 lights I will turn it off as well. Fortunately, the stop and go traffic (which I try and avoid as much as possible - I'm impatient) is the only place I've found it to be a real problem.

I still wish it would wait a bit longer before stopping - it is too aggressive. I can't count how many times I've barely stopped, it turned off, and then I have to start moving again and it has to almost immediately restart.
I've been using mine more lately as the heats subsided and I can actually drive without the ac. This is the main issue I have with it as it's way to aggressive in shutting down. Also when going into the garage and parking you just come to a stop and it shuts down only to re-start when putting it into park. They should've added at least a few second delay. I think I have a Glade plug in somewhere around here so for now I'll go that route.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
If they added, say, a 3 second delay, then people would complain that it needlessly stops the truck if you stop somewhere for 3.5 seconds. And, instead of stopping for 10 seconds other times, it will only stop for 7. Until they invent a way to see the future, there will always be times when it stops for a brief period of time and adding a delay just moves the numbers around. If you know that you're just pausing somewhere (because you have a better idea of what's about to happen than the truck does), it's quite possible to stop the truck without pushing the brake far enough to engage the autostop...

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
If they added, say, a 3 second delay, then people would complain that it needlessly stops the truck if you stop somewhere for 3.5 seconds. And, instead of stopping for 10 seconds other times, it will only stop for 7. Until they invent a way to see the future, there will always be times when it stops for a brief period of time and adding a delay just moves the numbers around. If you know that you're just pausing somewhere (because you have a better idea of what's about to happen than the truck does), it's quite possible to stop the truck without pushing the brake far enough to engage the autostop...
I agree, it’s very easy to just keep the most ever-so-slight roll when you know you’re going to pull right away, keeping the truck from shutting off. I like it that way and then it’ll shut off when you stop at a red light or a stop sign with lots of traffic.

395Runner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic FX4 Lariat, 350whp 2006 WRX Wagon
I'm all for auto stop/start but it seems poorly implemented on the Ranger.

On other vehicles, such as BMWs and various hybrids I've driven, its totally seamless, it saves gas, and keeps everyone from breathing exhaust at red lights.

On this truck, it activates and deactivates at seemingly random times, and some of the torque and vibration seems to bleed through into the drivetrain and shakes the whole chassis. No bueno.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
This morning I got in the truck and headed into town. I noticed the ac was on so I shut it off the entire HVAC system. Then I noticed the auto stop light was on, meaning the system was shut off ( I didn't shut it off ). So I pushed the auto stop button to turn it back on, and the HVAC turned back on.

Weird.

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
This morning I got in the truck and headed into town. I noticed the ac was on so I shut it off the entire HVAC system. Then I noticed the auto stop light was on, meaning the system was shut off ( I didn't shut it off ). So I pushed the auto stop button to turn it back on, and the HVAC turned back on.

Weird.
Something is wrong.
Sponsored