Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
I thought this looked like a fun way to deal the the ASS problem... a switchbot.

Link to the hackaday post.

Screenshot_20230111-234216.jpg

Enjoy!

Frank
Sponsored

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I thought this looked like a fun way to deal the the ASS problem... a switchbot.

Link to the hackaday post.

Screenshot_20230111-234216.jpg

Enjoy!

Frank
Cool devise Frank, but I'll still have to use my LED nightlight. The Polish in me still can't bring myself to spend $29.00 when the nightlight is only $4.00 for a 2 pk. ?

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
Cool devise Frank, but I'll still have to use my LED nightlight. The Polish in me still can't bring myself to spend $29.00 when the nightlight is only $4.00 for a 2 pk. ?
I tried a nightlight but had a weird electrical hum in the cab when it was plugged in. For a few days, I thought I had a problem with a rear speaker but it stopped when I unplugged the nightlight.

I probably just need to try another kind of nightlight.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

OrlandoJay23

First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger
Occupation
GC
If you're trying to eliminate the auto start stop, just disconnect the small wires on the negative terminal on the battery... Auto Start stop deleted. Then pop switch out and disconect.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
If you're trying to eliminate the auto start stop, just disconnect the small wires on the negative terminal on the battery... Auto Start stop deleted. Then pop switch out and disconect.
But doesn't that defeat the BMS also?

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The BMS is self defeating to begin with.
The BMS does serve a purpose, I just think they have the SOC set to low, why I raised mine. The Internal BMS's in my Lithium Batteries are great, give them CV/CC and they will balance and charge each battery for optimum performance.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
The BMS does serve a purpose, I just think they have the SOC set to low, why I raised mine. The Internal BMS's in my Lithium Batteries are great, give them CV/CC and they will balance and charge each battery for optimum performance.
As I don't use ASS or BMS, I see little need for it, not everyone uses Forscan (I do not) then what do you do - go to the dealer to change it, sure maybe it works better with a higher SOC but it seems to be a flawed system as sold. And as you well know comparing the lith-ion BMS to Ford's - is that a valid comparison , seems apples to oranges.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
As I don't use ASS or BMS, I see little need for it, not everyone uses Forscan (I do not) then what do you do - go to the dealer to change it, sure maybe it works better with a higher SOC but it seems to be a flawed system as sold. And as you well know comparing the lith-ion BMS to Ford's - is that a valid comparison , seems apples to oranges.
True about the lithium comparison, just making the point that they have a use or wouldn't be there. Without a BMS in a system designed for one you do run the risk of a constant over charge, shortening the life of the battery.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
True about the lithium comparison, just making the point that they have a use or wouldn't be there. Without a BMS in a system designed for one you do run the risk of a constant over charge, shortening the life of the battery.
According to the airline tech's research and another gent who courageously disconnected the BMS, charging voltages higher than 14.5 V have not been seen, I concur with that and have had my BMS disc'd for over a year now and battery remains healthy. Having said that when it does die I'll likely go with flooded LA, but I am expecting the current batt to live long and prosper. What airline tech's tutorial hopefully may reveal what is the relationship with the smart charge system and the bms, and if bms disco negates smart charge. As smart charge was there 1st I believe BMS adds additional functions - which I believe are mainly geared towards ASS support. BTW - a year back when I disco'd the BMS did some research and found nothing that indicates such a bold move would destroy the battery - some of that found on an F-150 forum where a greater number have done it.
Sponsored

Last edited: