Android Auto and other forms of Mental Anguish..

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
If you always keep your phone in your pocket, check for dirt in the USB port. Did someone already mention that?
Sponsored

Capt Jon

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Whether you are aware or not, the truck does have a WiFi connection, as evidenced by automatic SYNC updates. There are settings and procedures needed to hook up your phone or another device to the WiFi.
See this links:

WiFi Hot spot

Connecting to WiFi
Only if you subscribe thru ATT. I did not establish this connection and would use the Hotspot on my phone if needed. I've done all the updates via USB.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I use mine every time I drive the truck. I have a Pixel 7 (previously a Pixel 5) and use a good cable.

Capt Jon

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
FWIW, the actual data going from your phone to the M1 is via WiFi, Bluetooth does not have enough band width to support AA. Not sure why the Bluetooth pairing is necessary but the Carlin wireless CarPlay adapter for my wife's iphone in her Jeep works exactly the same way.
Bluetooth pairing with the M1 is necessary to connect your phone to the M1 wirelessly. There is a BT connection on my phone "AndroidAuto-ef9d." In the Android Auto App functions there is a requirement to select "Wireless Android Auto" to allow you to use the M1 as the connection point. The installation requires you to establish the connection first via the cable. Once established you remove the cable and connect your phone via BT.

Last edited:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Bluetooth pairing with the M1 is necessary to connect your phone to the M1 wirelessly. There is a BT connection on my phone "AndroidAuto-ef9d." In the Android Auto App functions there is a requirement to select "Wireless Android Auto" to allow you to use the M1 as the connection point. The installation requires you to establish the connection first via the cable. Once established you remove the cable and connect your phone via BT.
As others have said you connect your phone to the M1 via Bluetooth and that acts as a control path. The actual data from Android Auto on your phone travels via WiFi to the M1. It then travels via USB from the M1 to your Sync system. If you look at the specs for your Motorola M1 you will see it has a 5GHz WiFi interface.

wickkid

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor Edition
Occupation
Engineer
I use AA daily with my Kyocera phone (actually 2 different models) without an issue. I also use VLC player, since I have literally thousands of songs on my memory card. As others have said, a quality cable is important.

Cohnhead'73

First Name
Gooby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger Lariat, '23 Chrysler 300, '13 FiestaSE
Occupation
Retired: Ford Motor Co
Actually several companies are selling wireless adapters for AA. Some one posted that the Motorola unit was on sale in Amazon for $69.

These units plug into your USB in the truck and you connect your phone to the adapter via WiFi.
Thanks for the info on the wireless adapter. I couldn't understand why my phone would drop off when I unplugged it from the USB.
I ordered the Motorola MA1 adapter from Amazon and I'm very pleased with it.

OP
OP
Beez

Beez

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat, 2.5 Leveler, MBRP 3" Exhaust
Occupation
Just another incredibly super average dude
Honestly, I was ready to pull the trigger on a AA Wireless dongle. I like the idea of it and the recent Amazon sales nearly had me, but after reading the negative feedback, I bailed. Just waaaay to many people complaining about the same related issues.. I'm sure there are many who truly love theirs, but I wonder if longevity will be a rude awakening for them down the road? I'm not interested in more aggravation. I'm gunna have to hard pass on this one. I currently have children fulfilling that need in my life already.

Last edited:

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Total bummer, my 2019 Lariat did not come equipped with the NAV option as part of its creature features. I since have made use of WAZE, but would have prefered if the "infotainment" center permitted the video from my cell phone to appear on the splash screen. Unfortunately, that is NOT the case... Well, look no further Android Auto is here! -- (Let the Sarcasm flow through you).

Has anyone in the possession of a Ford Ranger actually ever got this app to work? I've tried countless times, but it crashes upon launch. Went the route of deleting it, then re-installing it 3, or 4 times as well, but it just won't load, then (as an added bonus) makes everything else glitcherific, forcing you to clear it from all of your systems, like the time I consumed a spoiled fish sandwich from McDonalds.. But that's another story.

Anyway, sure would like to hear from you if you've got this app to actually function as intended apart from inflicting yourself with excessive mental anguish.

Theres a chance.jpg
Not used it on my Ranger since I have nav but I did use it in my Durango sheriffs vehicle, it only worked if the charging cord was plugged into one of the USB ports, no idea how it connects now.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Whether you are aware or not, the truck does have a WiFi connection, as evidenced by automatic SYNC updates. There are settings and procedures needed to hook up your phone or another device to the WiFi.
See this links:

WiFi Hot spot

Connecting to WiFi
The WIFI Hot spot is different from the trucks WIFI connection. To use the Hot spot you must subscribe the a AT&T cellular data plan. So, if you have an unlimited data plan on your phone you are better to use that. Your truck can connect to your home WIFI network, or any other for that matter, if your truck can get a signal. That's how it does OTA updates.

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
On three vehicles all using sync 3 ... Various cables... Lg v30 and Motorola phones... Only have to wake up the phone ... With some degraded cables the Android auto stops .... Then you have to wake up your phone again. Wake up phone more often than not on initial connection. Uninstall clear app cache and adding app back only if seriously crashing or locking. Using Google maps, iheart radio or SiriusXM from phone. I use a retractable 3' USB flat cable... Sometimes with a micro USB to USB c adapter... Connection port at phone must be decent.

Friday yet?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
You shouldn't have to download anything. You could also make sure your Sync is updated.
I sincerely hope updating Sync on the Ranger is easier than my Focus ST. I am not a computer dumbass. Like most of us I have to use them daily for work. Pretty good at getting a computer to do what I need it to do. But update Sync on the ST????? Forget about it. First update I ever did went fine. Second update did not. That update was finally done at the dealer during some recall work. Last update? Never done. I tried three separate times. Finally said "F*** it." So frustrating. That was YEARS ago. Still driving the car, obviously, with the previous Sync version. Whatever. Hoping for a smoother experience with the Ranger.

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
I sincerely hope updating Sync on the Ranger is easier than my Focus ST. I am not a computer dumbass. Like most of us I have to use them daily for work. Pretty good at getting a computer to do what I need it to do. But update Sync on the ST????? Forget about it. First update I ever did went fine. Second update did not. That update was finally done at the dealer during some recall work. Last update? Never done. I tried three separate times. Finally said "F*** it." So frustrating. That was YEARS ago. Still driving the car, obviously, with the previous Sync version. Whatever. Hoping for a smoother experience with the Ranger.
Ever try to download to a USB drive and update... You're headed for a pick your poison ... Eventually Android auto and sync versions will drift so it works only in one spot

OP
OP
Beez

Beez

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat, 2.5 Leveler, MBRP 3" Exhaust
Occupation
Just another incredibly super average dude
Let me just say, that I genuinely appreciate the feedback here.. I believed I was needlessly replacing what I thought was a perfectly good, nay, "PREMIUM" USB cable, only to discover that you gents were spot on! - As soon as I plug'd that mutha in, SHIZAM! AA is up and running with no problems what-so-ever. I'm not gunna lie, I was shocked and set my expectations really low, but I'm here to tell you, that something so simple as replacing the cable was truly a game changer.

Kudos Fellas!

Connect Port.jpg

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Let me just say, that I genuinely appreciate the feedback here.. I believed I was needlessly replacing what I thought was a perfectly good, nay, "PREMIUM" USB cable, only to discover that you gents were spot on! - As soon as I plug'd that mutha in, SHIZAM! AA is up and running with no problems what-so-ever. I'm not gunna lie, I was shocked and set my expectations really low, but I'm here to tell you, that something so simple as replacing the cable was truly a game changer.
The cable market is a mine field -- sellers can make bank offering crap for a premium price (or worse crap for a normal price) and buyers have no way to tell the difference. The industry marketing group has only made things worse by intentionally muddying the waters (usb? superspeed usb? superspeed+ usb?) instead of a clearly comprehensible system because member companies worried that they wouldn't be able to sell old stock at new prices if it looked obsolete (which is what the customer actually wants...) The fact that things work as well as they do is a testament to the robustness of the underlying engineering.
Sponsored