Android Auto and other forms of Mental Anguish..

Beez

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat, 2.5 Leveler, MBRP 3" Exhaust
Occupation
Just another incredibly super average dude
Total bummer, my 2019 Lariat did not come equipped with the NAV option as part of its creature features. I since have made use of WAZE, but would have prefered if the "infotainment" center permitted the video from my cell phone to appear on the splash screen. Unfortunately, that is NOT the case... Well, look no further Android Auto is here! -- (Let the Sarcasm flow through you).

Has anyone in the possession of a Ford Ranger actually ever got this app to work? I've tried countless times, but it crashes upon launch. Went the route of deleting it, then re-installing it 3, or 4 times as well, but it just won't load, then (as an added bonus) makes everything else glitcherific, forcing you to clear it from all of your systems, like the time I consumed a spoiled fish sandwich from McDonalds.. But that's another story.

Anyway, sure would like to hear from you if you've got this app to actually function as intended apart from inflicting yourself with excessive mental anguish.

Theres a chance.jpg
Sponsored

JoeDirt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
I've had zero major issues with android auto with both my oneplus 7 phone and my now my pixel 6 pro. Just plug it in and it launches. Only thing I've had to do is enable developers settings to use some of my hacked apps. I have had major problems with Waze through, when I updated to Android 13 waze stopped moving on AA. My map just freezes and speed drops to 0. Google Maps works like it should.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I had some issues with my 17 Mustang getting Android Auto to work but it turned out to be the cable I was using. You need a high quality data cable. Once I got one of those it worked flawlessly in the Mustang and has been flawless in the Ranger.

Note: I had factory nav in both vehicles so I seldom use Android Auto.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I had some issues with my 17 Mustang getting Android Auto to work but it turned out to be the cable I was using. You need a high quality data cable. Once I got one of those it worked flawlessly in the Mustang and has been flawless in the Ranger.

Note: I had factory nav in both vehicles so I seldom use Android Auto.
The cable quality is a major factor as too many eBay/Amazon cables just will not cut it.
My Android Auto has worked fine with my old Galaxy S9+ and with my new ZFlip4 but I did have to get a quality cable as the 1st two I tried caused issues.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
My old phone would not run Android auto. It would crash the phone or lock it up. Replaced it and no problems. I think there are min specs for the phone to run it.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I used to have major issues when I had an LG phone. I tried three different cables. Then one day I drove off with my phone on the tonneau cover and never saw it again. My new phone was a Samsung and I have not had issue one with it, except I seem to remember there was a setting on the phone I had to get right. Google Maps comes up by default when I plug it in, though I usually just use my GPS because it has a dashcam as well.

bRaptor

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT tremor
You shouldn't have to download anything. You could also make sure your Sync is updated.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I used to have major issues when I had an LG phone. I tried three different cables. Then one day I drove off with my phone on the tonneau cover and never saw it again. My new phone was a Samsung and I have not had issue one with it, except I seem to remember there was a setting on the phone I had to get right. Google Maps comes up by default when I plug it in, though I usually just use my GPS because it has a dashcam as well.
The phone I had problems with was also a LG. The replacement that works is also Samsung.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
Mine's working pretty well now, but I've certainly seen bugs as Android and Sync are updated. Never had the kind of trouble you are describing and it's never been unusable.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Make sure AA and Google Maps are up to date, and that AA is enabled in SYNC settings. And as others have said, cable quality is very important, and it has to stay plugged in to work. No wireless AA available for us, AFAIK.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
The phone I had problems with was also a LG. The replacement that works is also Samsung.
I had an LG phone that took some effort to get working well with AA. A better cable did the job.

Its replacement, a Samsung, doesn't like the combo of the wireless charging pad I have plus the AAWireless BT dongle. If I keep the phone in my pocket and off the charger, it works fine.

That said, I used Waze on a road trip recently and it was behaving oddly. I quickly switched back to Google Maps.
Sponsored