Android and Sync vs Android Auto & Pandora

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Have a Samsung A50.

When using Android Auto I can start Pandora without touching the phone.

When I use Sync, I need to make sure Pandora is running already and sometimes have to mess with the phone to get it going. Sometimes I see the Pandora icon, sometimes I don't. Even when I do see it it doesn't work 100% of the time.

I have Pandora set to "launch from car".

Any ideas?
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The pandora sync integration is glitchy in my experience. I'm not aware of a way to improve it.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The pandora sync integration is glitchy in my experience. I'm not aware of a way to improve it.
Agreed.

In my experience the majority of the time the Pandora app will not show up as an audio source when Android Auto is not active. It doesn't matter if the phone is connected using Blurtooth or USB. I have tried multiple different android phones as well as iPhones and get the same result. So I just use Pandora via Android Auto now.

OP
OP

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I would do the same if I liked Android Auto.

Come on Ford, fix your stuff !!!! If AA can do it so can Sync.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Have a Samsung A50.

When using Android Auto I can start Pandora without touching the phone.

When I use Sync, I need to make sure Pandora is running already and sometimes have to mess with the phone to get it going. Sometimes I see the Pandora icon, sometimes I don't. Even when I do see it it doesn't work 100% of the time.

I have Pandora set to "launch from car".

Any ideas?
If you don't plug into the USB and go thru Android auto you should be able to select your phone via a Bluetooth connection. I can't recall the last time I've used android auto. I can play songs saved on my phone via Bluetooth or stream YouTube songs without issue

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Come on Ford, fix your stuff !!!! If AA can do it so can Sync.
Not really. The issue is that the app vendors don't really want to support ever car manufacturers boutique infotainment system. They added support when it was the only option, but they've been discontinuing or letting that support rot now that Android auto/carplay provide a more standard interface.

OP
OP

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
If I could use Android Auto with Ford Navagation I would be a happy camper.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
If I could use Android Auto with Ford Navagation I would be a happy camper.
You can.

When using Android Auto hit the white button, then the Ford Icon. You will exit into Sync while you're still listening to AA. Access Nav as usual from there.

Why anybody would want to do this is beyond me though.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can.

When using Android Auto hit the white button, then the Ford Icon. You will exit into Sync while you're still listening to AA. Access Nav as usual from there.

Have you actually done this?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Have you actually done this?
Everything except the using of the factory navigation. I've never had any other Sync function not work. Change audio settings, hvac settings etc. I often switch audio to AM but keep using AA for maps, I don't see why you couldn't do the opposite.

I haven't tried the Nav system at all in my truck. Factory navigation is useless to me and I wouldn't have paid for it as a standalone option.

Car companies should stop trying to make infotainment systems. We all have our own in our pockets. A simple processor with Android Auto and Apple Car play, a screen, amp, and speakers is all that's needed. Especially so with the offline map access that virtually all apps possess.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everything except the using of the factory navigation. I've never had any other Sync function not work. Change audio settings, hvac settings etc. I often switch audio to AM but keep using AA for maps, I don't see why you couldn't do the opposite
You should try it before saying it works :)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
You should try it before saying it works :)
Why would I do that? As I said factory navigation SUCKS.

If you don't find my suggestion of how one might do this to be helpful that's fine.

You should mind your business before telling others what to do. :rolleyes:

OP
OP

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I like the factory navigation, just wish they would keep it more up to date. Even after the update it is still a little behind.

Much better than Goggle Maps or Waze in my opinion. Easy to read and a lot of info on the screen.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
You can.

If you're connected to Android Auto, then all of the buttons in Sync that have equivalent functions within Android Auto will actually redirect you back into Android Auto. Eg: Tapping Nav (or Maps, or whatever the button says) in Sync, will open your map app within Android Auto. Tapping Phone will open the phone app within Android Auto. Tapping Music (or Bluetooth as a source, I can't remember) will open the music app within Android Auto. They won't use the Sync equivalents until you unplug your phone. The only exception I can think of is that you can still use AM/FM in Sync.

That being said I think the built-in nav of pretty much every vehicle sucks in comparison to Android Auto, haha. Maybe try Sygic or one of those other nav apps that you can get on your phone? They're more infotainment-like than Google Maps or Waze.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
If you're connected to Android Auto, then all of the buttons in Sync that have equivalent functions within Android Auto will actually redirect you back into Android Auto. Eg: Tapping Nav (or Maps, or whatever the button says) in Sync, will open your map app within Android Auto. Tapping Phone will open the phone app within Android Auto. Tapping Music (or Bluetooth as a source, I can't remember) will open the music app within Android Auto. They won't use the Sync equivalents until you unplug your phone. The only exception I can think of is that you can still use AM/FM in Sync.

That being said I think the built-in nav of pretty much every vehicle sucks in comparison to Android Auto, haha. Maybe try Sygic or one of those other nav apps that you can get on your phone? They're more infotainment-like than Google Maps or Waze.
Gotcha.

I thought it would work as I often listen to AM while using Android Auto. Yes, I'm old.

And I wholeheartedly agree about the levels of suck that all factory NAV reach.
Sponsored