Android Auto and other forms of Mental Anguish..

Counting Buck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Father | Hunter | Accountant
It sounds like everyone is giving you the right advice. One thing I haven't read was... Is your phone unlocked when you plug it in? That matters. I bought a 1ft data cable and it started working with my S22.
Sponsored

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
S21 user checking in, all works ok with my 19 Lariat. No problems with the Samsung USB cable, mostly no problems with a Motorola wireless Android Auto adapter now. Every now and then it won't connect, but I unplug it and plug it back in and it fixes it.

OP
OP
Beez

Beez

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat, 2.5 Leveler, MBRP 3" Exhaust
Occupation
Just another incredibly super average dude
S21 user checking in, all works ok with my 19 Lariat. No problems with the Samsung USB cable, mostly no problems with a Motorola wireless Android Auto adapter now. Every now and then it won't connect, but I unplug it and plug it back in and it fixes it.
Hi Yinzcity, I've got 2 questions for you... 1. (hope this isn't a dumb one, but) I'm not familiar with the Andriod Auto Adapters. Actually just loked and found several on Amazon. What all do they do? I mean, is it just an easier way to connect your phone to your truck, or is there some other benefits, and 2. Are you a "Yinzer" from the Burgh?

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I have no issues with AA auto. I even got the wireless dongle to make my AA wireless capable an zero issues. Use it everyday

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
The cable quality is a major factor as too many eBay/Amazon cables just will not cut it.
My Android Auto has worked fine with my old Galaxy S9+ and with my new ZFlip4 but I did have to get a quality cable as the 1st two I tried caused issues.
I never actually talked up a cable, but I love this one. not just because of data quality, but build quality and perfect length and design for where I like to set my phone.

Also that thread, on topic, describes how android auto worked clunky and half broken until I finally got upgraded my old S7 to a S22+ then it was freakin perfect. Voice commands, hands free everything "send text to wife", music requests go direct to spotify without issue. could not be happier.

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Yinzcity, I've got 2 questions for you... 1. (hope this isn't a dumb one, but) I'm not familiar with the Andriod Auto Adapters. Actually just loked and found several on Amazon. What all do they do? I mean, is it just an easier way to connect your phone to your truck, or is there some other benefits, and 2. Are you a "Yinzer" from the Burgh?
No dumb questions here! The android auto adapters just make it possible to connect your phone wirelessly with android auto. Some new cars have this built in already, but ours are old enough to need a physical cable connection toto run android auto. With the adapter, my phone connects automatically through Bluetooth whenever the car starts. So I'll have android auto automatically pop up a few seconds after starting, even if my phone is still in my pocket.

As to the username, I did indeed live in Pittsburgh, but have spent the last 5 years in Detroit for work. Great city, I still miss living there. Much better career options here in Detroit, but the city itself isn't as nice.

OP
OP
Beez

Beez

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat, 2.5 Leveler, MBRP 3" Exhaust
Occupation
Just another incredibly super average dude
No dumb questions here! The android auto adapters just make it possible to connect your phone wirelessly with android auto. Some new cars have this built in already, but ours are old enough to need a physical cable connection toto run android auto. With the adapter, my phone connects automatically through Bluetooth whenever the car starts. So I'll have android auto automatically pop up a few seconds after starting, even if my phone is still in my pocket.

As to the username, I did indeed live in Pittsburgh, but have spent the last 5 years in Detroit for work. Great city, I still miss living there. Much better career options here in Detroit, but the city itself isn't as nice.
Yinzcity - Yeah, thank you. I had assumed that was the adapters sole function. My work truck, (which was a Chevy Silverado 1500) had that feature as standard equipment and it was really convenient. What through me, was some of the descriptions found on Amazon, which are quite lofty, having you think your adding the capability of transferring your Androids screen, or video to your trucks screen. I was tempted to purchase a "Carlinkit" adapter, as they seem to be the most popular, but after thoroughly sifting through all of the negative nightmare feedback available, I got cold feet. There seems to be a common thread of lagging, repetitive disconnecting and failure.. Being a dude who has consistently and mind numbingly proven to be prone to electronics issues, I felt it best to walk away. - Probably just going to go the route of securing a high quality USB data cable and being done with it..

Always nice to come across a fellow Yinzer.

Nokia Cellphone.png

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Yeah I have a short backup in case I don't need to touch the phone but for some reason I always find myself needing to pick the phone up physically while it's plugged in and the 6' allows me to throw it in the passenger seat if I need. I like slack on things.

Edit - I also just realized my "long cable" is 3 feet not 6 feet lol. Brain fart moment.

So I don't recommend the 6 foot I recommend the 3 foot!
That's not the first time someone thought it was longer than it actually was.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The problems are almost always the cable. I use a high quality 6 inch cable. (The longer it is, the more likely you are to have issues.) Once it's set up, I plug the 6 inch cable into aa wireless, then there are no more cable issues and I can keep the phone in my pocket.

bweslowski

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I've had zero major issues with android auto with both my oneplus 7 phone and my now my pixel 6 pro. Just plug it in and it launches. Only thing I've had to do is enable developers settings to use some of my hacked apps. I have had major problems with Waze through, when I updated to Android 13 waze stopped moving on AA. My map just freezes and speed drops to 0. Google Maps works like it should.
I'm glad you mentioned this. I thought it was my Pixel 6 making Waze freeze but it started happening right about the time I got the Android 13 update. I use Google Maps everyday to get around Washington, DC traffic.

Capt Jon

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I use AAuto and connect using the Motorola M1 wireless, bluetooth (not wi-fi) device to connect. Its the way to go IMO. No cables to deal with. When you start the vehicle it searches for a bit and then connects automatically. Works really well 99.5% of the time. Prefer Google Maps satilite view. Latest version of AA has split screen option. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I use AAuto and connect using the Motorola M1 wireless, bluetooth (not wi-fi) device to connect. Its the way to go IMO. No cables to deal with. When you start the vehicle it searches for a bit and then connects automatically. Works really well 99.5% of the time. Prefer Google Maps satilite view. Latest version of AA has split screen option. Not sure how I feel about it yet.
FWIW, the actual data going from your phone to the M1 is via WiFi, Bluetooth does not have enough band width to support AA. Not sure why the Bluetooth pairing is necessary but the Carlin wireless CarPlay adapter for my wife's iphone in her Jeep works exactly the same way.

Capt Jon

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
FWIW, the actual data going from your phone to the M1 is via WiFi, Bluetooth does not have enough band width to support AA. Not sure why the Bluetooth pairing is necessary but the Carlin wireless CarPlay adapter for my wife's iphone in her Jeep works exactly the same way.
I'm confused. I do not have a wi-fi connection available while driving my vehicle. I have never connected the M1 to my phone via wi-fi. As I understand this would also require a wi-fi connection between my phone and the device. I had a dash cam that worked via wi-fi and a connection had to be made between them in order to view the camera on my phone. The camera provided the wi-fi signal.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'm confused. I do not have a wi-fi connection available while driving my vehicle. I have never connected the M1 to my phone via wi-fi. As I understand this would also require a wi-fi connection between my phone and the device. I had a dash cam that worked via wi-fi and a connection had to be made between them in order to view the camera on my phone. The camera provided the wi-fi signal.
no, that's how it works--wifi is used for the video. you don't have to specifically set anything up as the wifi connection is made automatically (via wifi direct, not the usual infrastructure mode with one device acting as an access point). bluetooth is used as the control channel to negotiate the wifi, and for audio. as mentioned above, bluetooth simply doesn't have enough reliable bandwidth for the video portion. carplay works basically the same way, for the same reasons.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Whether you are aware or not, the truck does have a WiFi connection, as evidenced by automatic SYNC updates. There are settings and procedures needed to hook up your phone or another device to the WiFi.
See this links:

WiFi Hot spot

Connecting to WiFi
Sponsored