Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I can't figure for the life of me why Android Auto is needed. My set up- is using the truck NAV and use WAZE on my phone\ at the same time

Maybe for those without NAV, it is a better option to use Gooogle Maps or just WAZE, I find the native NAV very very good. Probably the best I have ever had
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The killer feature for waze is the traffic information. (Location is a big factor in how accurate and how important that is.) Map updates are generally the other big advantage of phone-based nav, but I don't know how well Ford manages them.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
The killer feature for waze is the traffic information. (Location is a big factor in how accurate and how important that is.) Map updates are generally the other big advantage of phone-based nav, but I don't know how well Ford manages them.
In my 2015 Explorer after 3 years they finally sent out a map update, but that was Ford Touch, not Sync3. Hope Sync3 updates a lot more often.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I actually, didn't order the tech package with Nav because of this. I just use the Android auto for maps.

My '16 Explorer has navigation, but stopped working. So I probably have to go spend $150 for a updated chip.:frown:

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I actually, didn't order the tech package with Nav because of this. I just use the Android auto for maps.

My '16 Explorer has navigation, but stopped working. So I probably have to go spend $150 for a updated chip.:frown:
Yeah I realized those without Native NAV can use Andriod Auto on their devices and the Screen but WAZE is the best.
Better than a radar detector.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I realized those without Native NAV can use Andriod Auto on their devices and the Screen but WAZE is the best.
Better than a radar detector.
Waze might work great in your area but it sure isn't the answer for rural states like Montana.

Krzydmnd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger Xlt
Vehicle Showcase
I like the options. And I use waze through android auto. I do like the stock homescreeen though, I wish android maps would show on that screen then I'd be happy

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I just wish mine would work all the time. I upgraded to the new S10 and now Android Auto crashes randomly. Never happened on my S8+

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No issues yet with my Note 8. Google Maps on the screen is great.
Google is better than the Sync3 Nav in my MKC.

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
I can't figure for the life of me why Android Auto is needed. My set up- is using the truck NAV and use WAZE on my phone\ at the same time

Maybe for those without NAV, it is a better option to use Gooogle Maps or just WAZE, I find the native NAV very very good. Probably the best I have ever had
Google Play Music, Spotify, Youtube Music, MLB app, Pocketcast app, Google Maps, Google assistant, Android messages, Android phone app, etc......... there are a lot of neat apps that work with Android Auto. If you really want to geek out on it you can use your OBDII reader and display your vehicles info through Android Auto and the Torque app. Android Auto isn't "needed" but personally, I wouldn't buy a car without Android Auto.

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Google Play Music, Spotify, Youtube Music, MLB app, Pocketcast app, Google Maps, Google assistant, Android messages, Android phone app, etc......... there are a lot of neat apps that work with Android Auto. If you really want to geek out on it you can use your OBDII reader and display your vehicles info through Android Auto and the Torque app. Android Auto isn't "needed" but personally, I wouldn't buy a car without Android Auto.
Maybe I m not doing something right...I thought the same thing but I can only seem to get three apps when I search for apps. I have those you listed on my phone but they do not come up when I search my phone for APPS. So I really didn't understand Andriod Auto. Google Maps and WAZE don't even show up. So I run them from the phone and use the Native NAV.

I get three APPs only Not even Accuweather...

(I do have an OBD reader with Torque.)

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Waze might work great in your area but it sure isn't the answer for rural states like Montana.
In general I think the systems are complimentary: the advantages of waze aren't particularly relevant in places where the disadvantages of built in nav don't matter as much. I find both useful in different areas, and it's nice having a backup option when one of them flakes out.

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
Maybe I m not doing something right...I thought the same thing but I can only seem to get three apps when I search for apps. I have those you listed on my phone but they do not come up when I search my phone for APPS. So I really didn't understand Andriod Auto. Google Maps and WAZE don't even show up. So I run them from the phone and use the Native NAV.

I get three APPs only Not even Accuweather...

(I do have an OBD reader with Torque.)
When Android Auto launches on your dash do you tap the icons to open up other apps? For example, the headphone icon to open your audio apps?
08R5H4zFKzRslcrc3uI4w0MkNEeN-dWdqG8-V-BZhXOh61aXzecLLhe4X32gPW8z6KEV_KoeTlyk2EPls=w2390-h1792-no.jpg

_y-obYicA--Qt7fIR5p542LK7xB0y_KeBOIezBvsBkgLME6KknKzSnut27g83vlDz3P9a8NTBIIss2UkP=w2390-h1792-no.jpg

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When Android Auto launches on your dash do you tap the icons to open up other apps? For example, the headphone icon to open your audio apps?
08R5H4zFKzRslcrc3uI4w0MkNEeN-dWdqG8-V-BZhXOh61aXzecLLhe4X32gPW8z6KEV_KoeTlyk2EPls=w2390-h1792-no.jpg

_y-obYicA--Qt7fIR5p542LK7xB0y_KeBOIezBvsBkgLME6KknKzSnut27g83vlDz3P9a8NTBIIss2UkP=w2390-h1792-no.jpg
I need to try that LOL..... Seriously I was getting pissed when the phone was going into Android Auto,....I turned AA off.

But you have taught me something....I was "searching for apps" on SYNC 3........ But your example sends them to the screen depending on what app you select in Android Auto??? I never touched the phone after that,,,,,,Maybe need to give it another look..Thanks

ONE QUESTION: Do you have to connect USB to achieve a connection or does it also do well on Blue Tooth? I know the iPhone has to be connected,

Godzilla_Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger Super Crew
Yup. When I'm 'searching' for apps in SYNC 3 I find nothing but AA lets me run almost any audio software on my phone. That's really my reason for using it. I've used the SYNC 3 Nav and it's fine, no complaints. But I like the audio selection AA gives me especially since I have a lot stuff local to my phone and the player in AA is better (I think) than the one in SYNC 3. I also wish I could integrate with SYNC 3 a little more. I also like their dashboard.
Sponsored