Android Auto and other forms of Mental Anguish..

LocoEngr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Hello,

So I tried using my Android Auto for the first time today. When I first got the truck, every time I plugged the phone in to charge it would tell me Android Auto was available but eventually it stopped doing this.

So, I was at the dealership today and they showed me how to turn AA back on. Once I left I tried to get AA to work and could not. I probably spent an hour trying to figure it out.

I would plug the USB in and I would get a tile for Maps and Android Auto and then maybe 10 to 20 secs later a screen would appear with a black background but it would only stay up for 1 to 3 secs before it disappeared and then the tiles for Maps and AA would disappear. If I pulled the cable out and plugged it back in, the same thing would happen.

Since it looked like the AA screen was trying to come up, I was thinking it was a SYNC 3 problem but after reading this thread, I'm thinking I should buy a new cable tomorrow.

Really the only thing I wanted AA for was Maps and to use my Sirius/XM app. I guess if I can't get it to work its not a big deal but combined with the fact that sometimes using my remote start through FordPass is like gambling, I'm starting to edge towards moving on to something else next time(and I all ready left and came back once).
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Hello,

So I tried using my Android Auto for the first time today. When I first got the truck, every time I plugged the phone in to charge it would tell me Android Auto was available but eventually it stopped doing this.

So, I was at the dealership today and they showed me how to turn AA back on. Once I left I tried to get AA to work and could not. I probably spent an hour trying to figure it out.

I would plug the USB in and I would get a tile for Maps and Android Auto and then maybe 10 to 20 secs later a screen would appear with a black background but it would only stay up for 1 to 3 secs before it disappeared and then the tiles for Maps and AA would disappear. If I pulled the cable out and plugged it back in, the same thing would happen.

Since it looked like the AA screen was trying to come up, I was thinking it was a SYNC 3 problem but after reading this thread, I'm thinking I should buy a new cable tomorrow.

Really the only thing I wanted AA for was Maps and to use my Sirius/XM app. I guess if I can't get it to work its not a big deal but combined with the fact that sometimes using my remote start through FordPass is like gambling, I'm starting to edge towards moving on to something else next time(and I all ready left and came back once).
I think AA has settings to auto start when hooked up by USB, and there also may be setting on the phone to allow SYNC to access AA. It's been a while since I set it up on my truck and phone.
Can't you use your Sirius account with SYNC without having to use you phone? Or would the truck have to have a separate account with Sirius?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Ok, educate me here. Android auto has been working g flawlessly for me. My issue is simply a lack of knowledge on my part. I've searched here and on Google for answers.

So when rolling down the road how do I open the regular Sync screen while Android auto is running? In my case it would/will be running Waze? Multiple times today I wanted to quickly pull up the climate controls screen but could not do so.

Thx!

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Ok, educate me here. Android auto has been working g flawlessly for me. My issue is simply a lack of knowledge on my part. I've searched here and on Google for answers.

So when rolling down the road how do I open the regular Sync screen while Android auto is running? In my case it would/will be running Waze? Multiple times today I wanted to quickly pull up the climate controls screen but could not do so.

Thx!
I'm not used to the new screen yet so there is probably an easier way.

I push the square on the bottom left which brings up the screen with all the blue circles and press the "sync" button which brings me back to the radio/climate control screen. Must be an easier way that I don't know.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'm not used to the new screen yet so there is probably an easier way.
No easier way. Some manufacturers implemented more flexibility, ford does not.

Makes you really wish they hadn't disabled climate control with the steering wheel buttons on the ranger.

SteamiestOyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Hello,

What you are describing sounds like you need a better cable. USB cables are not all equal. Make sure your cable is USB 2.0 (480 Mbps). Don't get a USB cable that says something like "charging cable only" and make sure it says "USB 2.0" or higher.

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
Friday here is the procedure. You need to tap the "stack of dots" icon in the lower left hand corner of the screen - this brings you to the Apps menu.

20230105_164540.jpg

Then you want to find the "Ford" app. (Top Left.) This brings you back to the Sync Screen.

IMG_20230307_115713~2.jpg

To get back to Android Auto - Tap the Android Auto button on the bottom row of Sync.

IMG_20230307_115711~2.jpg

While you are in Sync mode - so long as you are connected via Bluetooth on your phone - you won't lose any of your audio from your Android apps while you are doing this.

Cheers!

Thx!

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
Friday here is the procedure. You need to tap the "stack of dots" icon in the lower left hand corner of the screen - this brings you to the Apps menu.

20230105_164540.jpg

Then you want to find the "Ford" app. (Top Left.) This brings you back to the Sync Screen.

IMG_20230307_115713~2.jpg

To get back to Android Auto - Tap the Android Auto button on the bottom row of Sync.

IMG_20230307_115711~2.jpg

While you are in Sync mode - so long as you are connected via Bluetooth on your phone - you won't lose any of your audio from your Android apps while you are doing this.

Cheers!
Any reason you chose that beck song...was that a commentary?

BryanJay

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT

Thx!
I don’t know if AA is any different, but with CarPlay hitting the Home button on the steering wheel switches back to Sync.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I don’t know if AA is any different, but with CarPlay hitting the Home button on the steering wheel switches back to Sync.
with AA, it takes you to the AA menu, same as the dots in the bottom left. You still have to tap the "Ford" app on that screen.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
What you are describing sounds like you need a better cable. USB cables are not all equal. Make sure your cable is USB 2.0 (480 Mbps). Don't get a USB cable that says something like "charging cable only" and make sure it says "USB 2.0" or higher.
Good advice, but mostly useless. There's basically nothing that a buyer can look at to distinguish "good" cables from "bad" cables. Not price, not labeling (they lie, and there's no enforcement). One thing that can help is to buy the shortest possible cable (because physics, you'll have more signal degradation on a long cable than a short cable). If it works with a 6 inch cable then you know it's a cable problem, and you can just keep buying longer cables until you find one that works. (Or, just stick with the 6 inch cable. That's what I did--6 inch cable into a wireless adapter, and cable problems aren't a thing anymore. :) )

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
with AA, it takes you to the AA menu, same as the dots in the bottom left. You still have to tap the "Ford" app on that screen.
Ok. Got to remember and look for the Ford app.
Thank you.