Android Auto.....why?

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
I need to try that LOL..... Seriously I was getting pissed when the phone was going into Android Auto,....I turned AA off.

But you have taught me something....I was "searching for apps" on SYNC 3........ But your example sends them to the screen depending on what app you select in Android Auto??? I never touched the phone after that,,,,,,Maybe need to give it another look..Thanks

ONE QUESTION: Do you have to connect USB to achieve a connection or does it also do well on Blue Tooth? I know the iPhone has to be connected,
Ha! No big deal, I figured it was going to be a something simple that was over looked. As far as apps running in AA, you don't need to do anything for them to show up. If they are compatible with android auto then they will automatically show up as a choice in AA. Like the "MLB" app in my pic, I just downloaded the app on my phone and it automatically shows up in Android Auto.
Sponsored

akrobrat

First Name
Dilan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
I read all the replies and wondered if something is getting lost in translation...

I had Sync 2 with the built-in Nav and no Android Auto. It was okay -- but I preferred using Waze or Google Maps on my phone

Earlier this year I upgraded to Sync 3 (aftermarket kit on eBay) only to get Android Auto, and the experience is so awesome. It's night and day. I'll never go back to using the auto manufacturer's nav.

How I get the most from Android Auto:
- Download the Android Auto app on your phone (this is a required step to run AA in my Ford, if I'm not mistaken)
- Open the AA app on the phone. Go to the three-line menu at the top left > Select "Apps for Android Auto > This opens the Google Play Store where you'll find many apps (this answers your question about where to find AA apps)
- Use the USB cable to connect the phone to the car (answering your question: there's no way for me to get AA without the cable -- just Bluetooth isn't enough)
- Maps: When the AA icons on the bottom of your Ford screen show up, press and hold the Map icon to pull up either Waze or Google Maps (these are my go-to)
- Music: I now use YouTube Music, Play Books (couple of audio books there), TuneIn (for radio, but the subscription is starting to feel expensive), and Google Podcasts (have you checked this one out? It's good.)
- Google Assistant: I can use my voice with hey Google to set navigation directions, find a song, listen to a podcast, or ask when radar was made.
- Messages: I recently found out that I can use WhatsApp with my voice too.
- Wish list: I wish the main screen showed a split screen with Maps on the left and all the infotainment on the right. Like take the Maps Screen and the current Main Screen and put them side by side in one view.

So in short, AA has made my driving experience much more interesting and safer.

I can't figure for the life of me why Android Auto is needed. My set up- is using the truck NAV and use WAZE on my phone\ at the same time

Maybe for those without NAV, it is a better option to use Gooogle Maps or just WAZE, I find the native NAV very very good. Probably the best I have ever had

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
Waze would be great if it could map directions for long trips.

skibuff

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Escape / 2019 Ford Ranger XLT Lighting Blue
The problem with Android Auto is it requires cell service. So up in the mountains where I spend most of my time it doesn't work. The factory nav works fantastic and dosn't require cell service it also shows traffic conditions but not the police like Waze.

I prefer the Sync 3 interface much more that AA. There are some nice features on AA but I prefer Sync so I just use Hey Google to voice command my phone and Bluetooth Spotify.

I love the Sync 3 home screen with the map, music, temp, seat heaters and phone info all in one place .

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I use android auto almost purely for the hands-free interaction with Google Assistant using the phone controls on the steering wheel. I have a 1-foot USB cable plugged into my phone when I use it. Sits in that cubby in front of the shifter real nicely.

Hadn't been able to get a single app from the phone to show up on Sync 3 yet though. I'm gonna have to look into some of those others. I'm assuming none of the apps do anything other than audio right? No PLEX videos in the sync3 screen?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'm currently stuck in Apple's walled garden. I can say using the iPhone via the steering wheel controls is light years ahead of using the phone in Apple's auto mode. I'm told if you have a jailbroken iPhone you can cast almost any app to the car screen.

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had to press the microphone Icon to do anything. Does Google Assistant open when using the steering wheel voice button?

Godzilla_Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger Super Crew
The problem with Android Auto is it requires cell service. So up in the mountains where I spend most of my time it doesn't work. The factory nav works fantastic and dosn't require cell service it also shows traffic conditions but not the police like Waze..
I'm not positive about Waze (been a while since I used it in AA) but you can download sections of the map in the regular Android Map and use it offline. I recently drove from VA to Ohio and it prompted me to download my route. I don't think this is an option in the AA map. You may have to go to the native Google map.

But I also agree that the basic Sync3 Navigation is good. I'll use it for short trips if I don't feel like digging my phone out.

BannonJr

First Name
BANNON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Locomotive Attendant
I use Android Auto for
google maps/traffic/nav
Spotify
Facebook Messenger
Whatsapp

I really enjoy it and works flawlessly

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Waze would be great if it could map directions for long trips.
I can't say for sure, but I used Waze for a 500 mile trip. It mapped things out fine, but I think every time my phone switched networks (roaming) the trip would start new.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I use Apple Carplay for G-Maps, Waze, Sirius XM/Pandora, onX offroad or Gaia maps without issue. I do have to plug in as the wireless, which is fast enough for most things lags with mapping. There are other apps available but I don't need them, switching between Carplay and the OEM screen could be easier but just two screen presses so not bad. I normally only use mapping when looking for a specific place or offroad. (I preload the maps I need)

SKULLZONE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariet Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
I.T. Director
I can't figure for the life of me why Android Auto is needed. My set up- is using the truck NAV and use WAZE on my phone\ at the same time

Maybe for those without NAV, it is a better option to use Gooogle Maps or just WAZE, I find the native NAV very very good. Probably the best I have ever had
I have both. I use google maps in satellite mode which displays roads over terrain. It's just a lot more detailed. It also keeps track of my history so it makes filling out monthly expense reports a breeze.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Waze might work great in your area but it sure isn't the answer for rural states like Montana.
Same here. Completely useless for moderately populated areas where I drive in Wisconsin. It has NEVER found a police parked on the side of the road ever. I suspect nobody uses it in Wisconsin.

On Topic I use the spotify and Google Maps built into Android Auto every day. And the voice functionality for it is aweseome. I can send texts or set a map destination hands free without taking my eyes off the road.

Last edited:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Same here. Completely useless for moderately populated areas where I drive in Wisconsin. It has NEVER found a police parked on the size of the road ever. I suspect nobody uses it in Wisconsin.

On Topic I use the spotify and Google Maps built into Android Auto every day. And the voice functionality for it is aweseome. I can send texts or set a map destination hands free without taking my eyes off the road.
I live south east of Boston and Waze is useless for anything but navigation. There are so few people using it that there is never any current info.

The Sirus XM Travel Link that is integrated into the factory nav is much better at providing road conditions than either Waze or Google Maps. Last Saturday I was heading to West Springfield on the Mass Pike. Right after I got on the pike the nav started telling me to get off at I395, I thought that was strange and continued on the pike about a mile past the exit traffic changed to yellow and shortly latter it was red. While sitting there in traffic I fired up Google maps and it was not showing any traffic issues. Wasn't until we got to a mile before the accident did Google show the back up. In hindsight if I had my factory nav zoomed out I would have seen the back up soon enough to realize why the factory nav was directing me to get off the pike.
Sponsored