Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I checked mine good yesterday. As in most places very cold out. I have an XL STX so no auto HVAC. As Keith has mentioned the drivers side vent seems to put the air to the back side of the brake pedal instead of blowing toward the floor where you feet would be. Air flow seemed sufficient & very warm. As stated passenger side blows out from the side with good air flow. Something I have started doing, since there does seem to be a delay when you change air flow location, I turn the fan down to low till the location changes & then turn it back up if need. Seems to help like maybe the airflow is to strong to let the doors change properly. Might just be a reaction from the vaccine. :LOL:
Edit: By the way the heat gets very hot. We usually wind up setting the temp about mid way otherwise it is like an oven.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Bring back the adjustable levers where YOU adjust what YOU want.
John I agree completely. Some of us still remember those. You could get the wright mix every time. :clap: As Archie Bunker said "Those were the days"

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
tried the system this morning & this is the result. started the truck with HVAC in auto mode & full fan speed , the air flow selected was the same as yesterday (dash). after it got warm enough I selected the floor (in auto) & in about 10 seconds it changed the air flow to the floor. shut the truck off for a few minutes & the system was the same on start up as when shut down. change to defrost (in auto) & it stayed there until I changed it to dash vents.
it works the same in manual for me.
each location change requires about a 10 second wait until the air flow moves to the position selected. the floor vent for the driver side is almost centered over the brake pedal. passenger side is tight against the console. selecting the floor & dash at the same time, slows the feel of air flow to almost nothing in both locations in my opinion. :thumbsdown:
selecting defrost closes off the floor & dash vents.
overall I give this system a D- or very poor. FORD messed this system up.
should have kept manual controls ! :mad:
Just so you know, if you start adjusting other hvac controls you are disabling the auto system. Auto is exactly that, the system does all the appropriate settings and vents to use (typically the front windshield and lower vents in my experiences).

if you start changing the fan speed or other vent settings you’ve essentially done an over-ride to auto.

I too was an old-schooler and used the manual settings. Now that I’ve used Auto only for the last year (coming up to 2 years of ownership), I haven’t looked back.

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
SymChris, I again disagree. "AUTO" stayed high lighted through out the test. when manual was selected the vent/location selected worked the same as in "auto". when selecting manual "auto" was no longer highlighted. even when changing the fan speed , "auto" stayed high lighted.
this is a 2020 XLT with the 301A package, I dont know if the trim level makes a difference?

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
John I agree completely. Some of us still remember those. You could get the wright mix every time. :clap: As Archie Bunker said "Those were the days"
That's back when temperature control used a butterfly valve in the heater core feed water line for controlling hot water flow. Bad part was that temps responded slowly. Good part was no hot heater core in the dash during the summer.

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The poor heat on the feet seems to be a standard thing on our trucks. Read it all over here and I have the same thing. Seems to come out much stronger on the passenger side.
Passanger side floor heater is fine the drivers side stinks, went to the dealer nothing they could do about it, who has direct contact with Ford

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I have the dirtbag model, so no auto. I find that the defrost is the strongest, and it doesn't really blow at the floor too hard. Even the vent blast isn't as robust as I would expect. So, no, I don't think you're delusional. It's a strange word to use though. Crappy little quirks in a Ford? The first thought should never be that you're delusional.
These two posts really stood out for me. I’ve never had “climate control”, let alone two-zone climate control (HTF does that even work anyway) in any of my 4 Rangers. Like Larry, I‘ve never had a problem calibrating the cabin temp based on where I would set the dial or slider control (love those), whether it was a cable closing off a duct or a vacuum line closing a damper (there’s that word again). I even knew where to re—position it if it was especially cold that day. Total comfort - no misleading presets.

My 2019 is a dirtbag model as far as electronics go and I have zero problem getting the cabin temp just right. My Passat, however, with its two-zone climate control is nothing but trouble - maybe it’s having a tough time finding that magic, invisible wall that separates the driver side climate zone from the passenger side climate zone.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
+1

One thing that i noticed is that climate control acts like a thermostat. once cabin temp is reached air blowing out of the vents feels cooler. I never use auto setting always direct vents where i want. dash and floor at same time really restricts air flow. After i few miles with engine up to temp have to back down the fan and set to floor.
Yet another thing about the Ranger that was obviously designed by someone who's never driven a motor vehicle. My personal pet peeve was the driver's seat, which was killing my back until I reworked the lumbar support. Seriously, I almost sold the truck.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yet another thing about the Ranger that was obviously designed by someone who's never driven a motor vehicle. My personal pet peeve was the driver's seat, which was killing my back until I reworked the lumbar support. Seriously, I almost sold the truck.
Hi Bill,

You would not have liked the seating of European cars in Europe...They love to sit on bricks. Seating is a very region specific and even then the seating companies do not always get it right!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
update; I was trying the system out again this morning & now have egg on my face ! :blush:

I`m not sure what is happening but the "auto" mode clears when the fan speed is changed but stays in "auto" if/when I select between the dash or floor vents. also about half the time the fan speed will change when changing from one outlet to another in "auto" mode ?????
all I can say now is W T F is going on ? :(

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Bill,

You would not have liked the seating of European cars in Europe...They love to sit on bricks. Seating is a very region specific and even then the seating companies do not always get it right!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
It wasn't so much the sitting part but the back "support" part. To me, it felt like the doorknob-covered Tramp Chair in one of Stephen King's books. I can't understand stiff backed seats in a vehicle designed to be taken off road where they can pound on you until you beg for mercy. To be fair, I had the same problem with my Kia Soul, but I did get it adjusted right without any major surgery. I miss the old style seats, where back support meant sitting up straight!
Sponsored