I love my Ranger, but I am trading it in.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I love my 2020 Ford Ranger XLT. It has been trouble free, and has hauled a lot of material for me. We decided to become a one vehicle family and go on some longer road vacations and the truck was not the right vehicle for that and was not my wife’s first choice for a sole vehicle. We have less than 50,000 kms (31,000 miles) on the truck

I have finished all my planned projects around our rural home and 98% of the time, at least one vehicle is parked at our home. Going to one vehicle made sense at this stage in our lives.

I loved my Ranger and I will miss it. We are going to get a Subaru Forester Wilderness. It is a very practicable, capable vehicle and it should be able to handle anything that we throw at it. It actually has more ground clearance than the Ranger and is more capable in the snow. It can tow 3000 lbs, so it can tow my boat and utility trailer. Barring anything weird happening when we go to the dealer to trade the Ranger in and picking up the new vehicle, this should all go down in about three weeks time.

This is what the Wilderness should look like this Fall in front of my place.

IMG_1361.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Gary - good to see you posting but sorry to see you trading in your Ranger.

I’m glad it has treated you well these last few years. Rural life in your area can really test a vehicle and your Ranger seemed to pass with flying colours. I hope the Subaru works out just as well for you.

Happy trails. 😀

Rod B

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT sport 2WD, extended cab (long bed)
Ironic. I was thinking the same thing. My 2020 only has 18,000 miles and I’m starting to get some interest in it since the word is out that the long bed is no longer available. I have looked at both the forester and outback online. Have not actually talked with the dealer about trading it. I dont see a dealer wanting to pay what all the publications say it’s worth.

OP
OP
Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ironic. I was thinking the same thing. My 2020 only has 18,000 miles and I’m starting to get some interest in it since the word is out that the long bed is no longer available. I have looked at both the forester and outback online. Have not actually talked with the dealer about trading it. I dont see a dealer wanting to pay what all the publications say it’s worth.
I am actually getting good value for my truck, when you consider that it saves a lot of tax with the trade in. I am not that far off what I paid for it.

OP
OP
Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The one funny thing is when I first picked up my Ranger truck, I connected my iPhone with a usb cable, Apple Car Play came on and I could not figure out how to get regular radio on and at the time I preferred the Ranger’s navigation system on it and never used Apple Car Play much after that. Later about the same time I was researching the Subaru and learning more about Apple Car Play. I then discovered hitting the Ford Sync button on App,e Car Play, I could return to the Ford’s screen and could access all the non Apple things. I then learnt I could add apps and added Google maps, Waze and a weather app that would show me radar images updated very few minutes.

I then bought for about $58 Canadian a wireless Apple CarPlay dongle and it works great. I also have wireless charging, but I have not attached it yet on a cell phone holder, I am saving that formthe Wilderness.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I love my 2020 Ford Ranger XLT. It has been trouble free, and has hauled a lot of material for me. We decided to become a one vehicle family and go on some longer road vacations and the truck was not the right vehicle for that and was not my wife’s first choice for a sole vehicle. We have less than 50,000 kms (31,000 miles) on the truck

I have finished all my planned projects around our rural home and 98% of the time, at least one vehicle is parked at our home. Going to one vehicle made sense at this stage in our lives.

I loved my Ranger and I will miss it. We are going to get a Subaru Forester Wilderness. It is a very practicable, capable vehicle and it should be able to handle anything that we throw at it. It actually has more ground clearance than the Ranger and is more capable in the snow. It can tow 3500 lbs, so it can tow my boat and utility trailer. Barring anything weird happening when we go to the dealer to trade the Ranger in and picking up the new vehicle, this should all go down in about three weeks time.

This is what the Wilderness should look like this Fall in front of my place.
Seems like a similar vehicle to the wifes Mazda CX-50 PPT she recently got. It is very capable off road for what it is and tows as much as my Bronco . #3800 lol. Gets good gas mileage too .

Jamie Jack

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
We live rural and have both; Forester and a Ranger. Enjoy them both but they are very different. Both do well in snow with studded tires, but the Ranger does a little better becasue of a little more clearance. Two issues with the Subie; it doesn't have a lot of storage room and that makes it difficult to travel with, but it's a great daily driver. Second, it has always gone through oil, about 1.5l between oil changes. Had it in the dealer, and they said that there were no visible leaks, so it's not their problem. Has about 150k kms. Even though we are both retired, we need two vehicles most days; glad that you think that you can make it work with one. My daughter has one too, tows a ultralight trailer; and although they may say 3500#, 2000# is the practical limit, and less is better.

OP
OP
Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We live rural and have both; Forester and a Ranger. Enjoy them both but they are very different. Both do well in snow with studded tires, but the Ranger does a little better becasue of a little more clearance. Two issues with the Subie; it doesn't have a lot of storage room and that makes it difficult to travel with, but it's a great daily driver. Second, it has always gone through oil, about 1.5l between oil changes. Had it in the dealer, and they said that there were no visible leaks, so it's not their problem. Has about 150k kms. Even though we are both retired, we need two vehicles most days; glad that you think that you can make it work with one. My daughter has one too, tows a ultralight trailer; and although they may say 3500#, 2000# is the practical limit, and less is better.
The regular Forester can tow 1500 lbs, the Wilderness model can tow 3000 lbs. I originally did a typo and said 3500 lbs and I have corrected that. The Wilderness also has more ground clearance than the regular Forester. The Wilderness has 9.2” of ground clearance.

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Kinda odd way to photoshop a vehicle... But congrats.
That’s because it’s usually the slowest thing holding up a long line of cars in Colorado.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
In 2022 we bought a new Subaru Forester touring and Ranger Lariat. The quality and smoothness of the CVT is amazing in the Subaru. The Ranger seats are all floppy and stitched cockeyed and it shifts like crap. We drive the Subaru most and definitely the Ranger will go before it does. We are over 32 mpg in the Forester now with no lack of power. I hope you have the same experience. I am waiting for the Subaru truck to comeback. We love the Forester.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
... I am waiting for the Subaru truck to comeback. ...
Me too.

I absolutely LOVED my Subaru Baja Turbo.

Only reason I sold it was because it hit 200k and I wanted a new Jeep.

I shoulda' kept the Scooby. :frown:

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
The regular Forester can tow 1500 lbs, the Wilderness model can tow 3000 lbs. I originally did a typo and said 3500 lbs and I have corrected that. The Wilderness also has more ground clearance than the regular Forester. The Wilderness has 9.2” of ground clearance.
The advantages of the Outback’s ground clearance is largely minimized by its long nose and poor approach angle, at least with respect to “off roading”. But, it should help with clearing snow and the occasional dead possum. 👍

If I was going to one all-purpose vehicle, I would seriously consider a Honda Ridgeline or a Maverick. You get the car-like ride, but retain the utility of a truck bed.
Sponsored