Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I leave it on auto 71F all year long and drive bare foot in summer, socks winter...
Sponsored

NoleDawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
You arenā€™t crazy. Same situation on my 2019. A/c crapped out during a drive up from Florida in September heat. It was basically acting like (and probably was) it was freezing up and wouldnā€™t work again until I turned it off for an hour or so to thaw. The air was loudly blowing but nothing coming out of the vents. I took it to the dealer to get the compressor replaced and they refused because they couldnā€™t recreate the issue. Didnā€™t reoccur during the rest of the cooling season. It has done the no heat blowing to me once as well.

Good luck dealing with the dealer. Others whoā€™ve had the issue got it fixed with video proof of frozen lines.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to disagree with this. I have it set to auto but select where I want the air to come from. the air flow will change from the dash vents to defrost or floor as selected. it seems to reduce air flow when more than 1 option is selected.
unless there is something else going on I dont know about......:frown:
Mine must be fubar then lol. I will kick it a few times the next time I drive it. I just know I have to switch it to feet when my toes are cold cause auto won't stay put on it.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So when I have the ac/heat set on Auto and have it set at a temp like 70Ā° it does what is needed to get to and maintain said temperature. When set to hi or low it will go to max ac or heat. This is considered normal. Now if you have the issue where it keeps putting out heat when commanded cild or visa versa then you have an air distribution problem.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I have the dirtbag model, so no auto. I find that the defrost is the strongest, and it doesn't really blow at the floor too hard. Even the vent blast isn't as robust as I would expect. So, no, I don't think you're delusional. It's a strange word to use though. Crappy little quirks in a Ford? The first thought should never be that you're delusional.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
So, this summer on a road trip to Hilton Head from just south of Philadelphia my AC seemed to loose some juice around Richmond Virginia. After cussing quite a bit I got to my first stop stayed the night and the next day everything seemed fine. Now since winter has hit it seems when I put the heat setting to my feet that the heat is non existent. Now the dealer claimed it was "normal" today because we have only two small vents, yet the dash sounds like it should be blowing like the crazy. Now I bought this truck last winter and I don't remember having essentially not heat on my feet.......am I delusional or is the dealership full of crap.
Delaware does not really get cold like the places where some members live, but I find the heating in the Ranger to work well. Since we do not like heated air blowing in our faces, I always just turn on the floor heating (along with the buns-heaters in the seats), and it seems to do the job just fine.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've had very few complaints, my wife hates how hard the fans blow on auto or when it's started remotely and she gets in before me.

Personally I miss the manual control systems with the lever selectors and whatnot. I'd rather have that than a computerized system. I'm an embedded SW engineer, I work on things like the systems in our trucks all day and would prefer not to have them in my vehicles.

Personally if it wasn't for crash test reasons I'd be driving something a lot older. Also, I miss the under steering wheel crotch vents in the summertime.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Sometime I feel like we are beta-testing this truck! also my wife's 2020 Escape Hybrid same thing! 6 visits for misc BS. The factory wireless console charger keeps failing. Its struggles like this we go thru that get us all pissy and not happy about paying the monthly 'nut'..
I have not noticed any real ac/heat issues and I'm pretty picky. I usually leave it on auto and pick a mode/temp and forget it.

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
tried the system this morning & this is the result. started the truck with HVAC in auto mode & full fan speed , the air flow selected was the same as yesterday (dash). after it got warm enough I selected the floor (in auto) & in about 10 seconds it changed the air flow to the floor. shut the truck off for a few minutes & the system was the same on start up as when shut down. change to defrost (in auto) & it stayed there until I changed it to dash vents.
it works the same in manual for me.
each location change requires about a 10 second wait until the air flow moves to the position selected. the floor vent for the driver side is almost centered over the brake pedal. passenger side is tight against the console. selecting the floor & dash at the same time, slows the feel of air flow to almost nothing in both locations in my opinion. :thumbsdown:
selecting defrost closes off the floor & dash vents.
overall I give this system a D- or very poor. FORD messed this system up.
should have kept manual controls ! :mad:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
tried the system this morning & this is the result. started the truck with HVAC in auto mode & full fan speed , the air flow selected was the same as yesterday (dash). after it got warm enough I selected the floor (in auto) & in about 10 seconds it changed the air flow to the floor. shut the truck off for a few minutes & the system was the same on start up as when shut down. change to defrost (in auto) & it stayed there until I changed it to dash vents.
it works the same in manual for me.
each location change requires about a 10 second wait until the air flow moves to the position selected. the floor vent for the driver side is almost centered over the brake pedal. passenger side is tight against the console. selecting the floor & dash at the same time, slows the feel of air flow to almost nothing in both locations in my opinion. :thumbsdown:
selecting defrost closes off the floor & dash vents.
overall I give this system a D- or very poor. FORD messed this system up.
should have kept manual controls ! :mad:
From the sound of it the communication bus is overloaded. With everything communicating on the same channel I bet there is a microprocessor on the vent control/motor that gets a message from the front panel/sync to change the direction. If the bus has too many messages going over the lower priority message will have to wait its turn to be sent. This is becoming a huge problem in modern vehicles, too many data messages. We'll be better off going back to manual controls until an update to the communication system can take place. Since they use CAN bus, I'm talking about a massive change to all vehicle designs, not just Ford. A second approach, and one I'd be surprised isn't being used, would be to have a secondary data channel for lower priority stuff so that the main vehicle data isn't impacted.

Ask me what I've been stuck in the middle of lately, if you can't guess.

NurseNeil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, SPORT
Occupation
Nurse
Haven't had problems with heat ever, but on wife's escape a few years back in Hilton Head, as well as Va. Beach area, I feel the humidity kills the A/C defrost for while.?ā€ā™‚