All vehicles should have this feature and here is another I think trucks need

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My 2000 Jeep Sport had the low washer warning lamp. In off camber off road situations, it lit up and dinged and drove me CRAZY. Was nice to know though.

I would like a "tailgate ajor" warning or notification. I always check but almost drive off from HD the other day with my gate down. I could see it as I had the tonneau on at the time.
I'm going to put a small "dune" flag on the tailgate so I can see it in the rearview with the tonneau on.
Sponsored

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
It may not sound like a big deal, but one thing I love about the Ranger is the low windshield wash warning icon. All vehicles need this, especially if you live in a wintry climate like me. I would also like opinions on this. Do trucks need a reminder icon showing that the tailgate is down? I was with a friend in his F150 and we heard a thumping noise as we entered a road construction area in town. When he pulled over on the shoulder of road, he realized the tailgate had been left down. These tailgates are much lighter now and we need a reminder to let us know.
Damper fixes that thumpin...there I said it, another useful or useless damper tip ?

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
It may not sound like a big deal, but one thing I love about the Ranger is the low windshield wash warning icon. All vehicles need this, especially if you live in a wintry climate like me. I would also like opinions on this. Do trucks need a reminder icon showing that the tailgate is down? I was with a friend in his F150 and we heard a thumping noise as we entered a road construction area in town. When he pulled over on the shoulder of road, he realized the tailgate had been left down. These tailgates are much lighter now and we need a reminder to let us know.
I bet if it ever gets stolen that y’all will remember to close and lock it ? in all seriousness, not a bad feature request as there’s already wiring harness back there that they could just add a conductor or two to.

Ericrcif

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
But that would bother those in the tailgate down gives you better gas mileage. Remember people use to claim that but don't see it much anymore.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Years ago there was a hit out on an engineer, some government type. Despite attempts to take him out via car bomb they were never successful, the reason, he walked around his vehicle before getting into it every time and looked under it often.

Turns out he had bad tires and an oil leak and he was just checking on those, but it saved his life.

Walk around your truck, check for damage before driving off.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
The reason I started this thread was because of something I saw not long ago. A guy in a truck, with a tonneau cover, had his tailgate down. A couple of empty buckets were rolling in the bed of it and one was almost out on the tailgate. Don't know if he knew the tailgate was down or not. Maybe a warning icon would have jogged his memory to the situation.
When I rented a Chevy Colorado I left something on the back seat and when I parked it gave me chimes or some alert , thought that was a pretty dumb feature but also thought it was a pretty dumb truck.

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
1613682489665.png
1613682504622.png
1613682577649.png

any one of these stickers is cheaper than a warning light, and to be honest, safer.

I've worked in and around oilfield sites alot over the years, and the walkaround is something i used to do constantly.
trust me, a light might tell you your tailgate is down, but it wont tell you if you're about to run something over.
I'll forgo the light, and get some damn excercise and look at my tailgate myself. thanks muchly.
My coworkers and I do a safety walk around our trucks every day when we leave work. Only because we like to put magnetic bumper stickers and change front license plates out with some "questionable" joke ones.

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Damper fixes that thumpin...there I said it, another useful or useless damper tip ?
I just don’t see why the damper isn’t standard equipment since it does so much and costs so little. DeeZee is on to something amazing and they don’t even know it.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I just don’t see why the damper isn’t standard equipment since it does so much and costs so little. DeeZee is on to something amazing and they don’t even know it.
if they had one originally they would had de-contented it by now anyways - someone listed the numerous items Ford has removed since US intro.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So Ford adds a tailgate down light, then they have to add a switch to turn off the light when the owner wants the tailgate to be down while driving. Will the driver have to activate the switch every time they start the truck? Then there will be an aftermarket harness to allow the light to remain off, and then a tune so the aftermarket damper will not interfere.....
No, thanks.

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
But that would bother those in the tailgate down gives you better gas mileage. Remember people use to claim that but don't see it much anymore.
Pretty sure the Mythbusters tested that and it was a negligible difference. I don’t remember which one ended up getting better mileage

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The reason I started this thread was because of something I saw not long ago. A guy in a truck, with a tonneau cover, had his tailgate down. A couple of empty buckets were rolling in the bed of it and one was almost out on the tailgate. Don't know if he knew the tailgate was down or not. Maybe a warning icon would have jogged his memory to the situation.
I'm pretty sure that's why they used to call such things idiot lights back in the day.
Pretty sure the Mythbusters tested that and it was a negligible difference. I don’t remember which one ended up getting better mileage
Best: Mesh tailgate replacement
Next best: No tailgate, tailgate and hard bed cover. All about the same.
Worst: Tailgate down

Ultra Worst: Tailgate down with a damper.

Ultra Mega Worst: Ridgeline w/ Tailgate up and purse compartment full

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
And the Damper Delete option was born!

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
So Ford adds a tailgate down light, then they have to add a switch to turn off the light when the owner wants the tailgate to be down while driving. Will the driver have to activate the switch every time they start the truck? Then there will be an aftermarket harness to allow the light to remain off, and then a tune so the aftermarket damper will not interfere.....
No, thanks.
LOL, Yep. A model year from now will be a post about how someone carries "X" in their bed, is too long and requires the tailgate to be down. Post title, "How do I turn off the tailgate warning light / chime".
Sponsored