AA Wireless (turns Android Auto into wireless Android Auto)

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I received mine a few months ago and never saw this thread. Works great, the only problem already mentioned is you never charge your phone. Guess I need to send Dirk some money.
I already have Dirks set up and loved it until I "upgraded" my phone to one WITHOUT wireless charging???. For now my charging cable goes to the rear ports and I will eventually install a higher wattage add on.
So here is how I have the AAWireless module. A little Velcro tucks it up out of the way nicely. I have a 4inch right angle USB cable on order and will post a link when I confirm it the correct handed angle!
1634909933858.png

Pardon the dust! ?
Sponsored

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Just got mine today along with Dirk's charging pad. What a setup! I had a very similar setup in my F150 and it was the biggest thing I missed. I had a little trouble getting everything paired up, but quickly found a solution online. For anybody who can't get your phone to pair to the device properly, you can try these steps:

1. Connect it to USB power in the house away from the vehicle.
  2. Disconnect any other connected Bluetooth devices on the phone.
  3. Connect to the Bluetooth on the AAWireless device.
  4. At this this point, it connected successfully and the light turned red (edit: mine turned blue). I was connected to the Wi-Fi on the device and it was looking for Android Auto.
  5. I took the device down to my car, and turned the car on.
  6. Disconnected my vehicle Bluetooth on my phone. (edit: and I didn't have to do this)
  7. Plugged the AAWireless device into the USB port under my infotainment system, where my phone would connect.

Last edited:

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I could have edited my previous response, but I felt this deserved it's own post.

So I have a Galaxy S20 FE, and I've had numerous problems when connected to Android Auto with the Ranger (I never had problems with my previous aftermarket headunit in my F150). My bluetooth will frequently disconnect (and the phone would disconnect from my watch, so I don't know what the issue was). Loading AA would take a fair amount of time considering it was plugged in.

Well so far I've only done a couple of short drives, but color me impressed with AAWireless. It connects basically instantly. AA is loaded on the screen before I even have a chance to look at the screen. So far I've had 0 bluetooth disconnects. And to top it all off, my ODB2AA is running smoother. It used to freeze randomly, and so far I've had NO issues. Anybody on the fence about getting the AAWireless module needs to just do it, you won't regret it.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I could have edited my previous response, but I felt this deserved it's own post.

So I have a Galaxy S20 FE, and I've had numerous problems when connected to Android Auto with the Ranger (I never had problems with my previous aftermarket headunit in my F150). My bluetooth will frequently disconnect (and the phone would disconnect from my watch, so I don't know what the issue was). Loading AA would take a fair amount of time considering it was plugged in.

Well so far I've only done a couple of short drives, but color me impressed with AAWireless. It connects basically instantly. AA is loaded on the screen before I even have a chance to look at the screen. So far I've had 0 bluetooth disconnects. And to top it all off, my ODB2AA is running smoother. It used to freeze randomly, and so far I've had NO issues. Anybody on the fence about getting the AAWireless module needs to just do it, you won't regret it.
Glad it's working and agree AAWireless is well worth the price!
Thanks for the comment on OBD2AA working. I had it on my old phone and wired connection but need to install on my new phone.

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
Glad it's working and agree AAWireless is well worth the price!
Thanks for the comment on OBD2AA working. I had it on my old phone and wired connection but need to install on my new phone.
Going a little off topic, but is there a good reference for OBD2AA beginners? I've been meaning to check it out. I did get an update that my AAWireless appears to have been loaded into a shipping container in a port in Hong Kong (DHL shipping updates are a lot more detailed than what I'm used to with other shippers).

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Going a little off topic, but is there a good reference for OBD2AA beginners? I've been meaning to check it out. I did get an update that my AAWireless appears to have been loaded into a shipping container in a port in Hong Kong (DHL shipping updates are a lot more detailed than what I'm used to with other shippers).
I used the developer thread

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
And 5g thread about OBD2AA
Forum Thread HERE
Skip ahead to post #14

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
And to top it all off, my ODB2AA is running smoother.
Hey "Harry"
I cant seem to get OBD2AA to run in place of AA. What version of Android and AA are you running?

Read on XDA that Android Auto Version 6.9.613724 has issues with OBD2AA

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hey "Harry"
I cant seem to get OBD2AA to run in place of AA. What version of Android and AA are you running?

Read on XDA that Android Auto Version 6.9.613724 has issues with OBD2AA
I had to go down the "beta" path.

Android 11
AA: 6.9.613724

It took a few tries at reinstalling OBD2AA, but it eventually started "working". I say "working" because like I said, it was freezing up after a couple of minutes when I did get it running.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I had to go down the "beta" path.

Android 11
AA: 6.9.613724

It took a few tries at reinstalling OBD2AA, but it eventually started "working". I say "working" because like I said, it was freezing up after a couple of minutes when I did get it running.
yeah I am on beta as well, but there are 2 betas out there
I have OBD2AA - Version 3.6a are you on 3.6b?

Same developer as AAWireless so OBD2AA has not gotten any love for a while. BUT we got AAWilress!!!

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
yeah I am on beta as well, but there are 2 betas out there
I have OBD2AA - Version 3.6a are you on 3.6b?

Same developer as AAWireless so OBD2AA has not gotten any love for a while. BUT we got AAWilress!!!
Yes, I could not get 3.6a to work, but 3.6b seems to be doing the trick.

Bdubjax

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Supercrew Lariat FX4
Occupation
System administrator
Does aawireless retain the right screen info on the lariat guage cluster? I bought dirks charging mat, have a hardwire USB charger I'm wiring into the fuse box just attempted to use a ottocast with issues. Sound quality had issues at times, was a little buggy, and biggest of all if you have the right screen on audio it says audio detected but doesn't show audio and the turn by turn is gone on the navigation screen just see navigation screen. Drove me nuts, sent it back today.

PXL_20220509_182804549~2.jpg

PXL_20220509_182942212~2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TechnicallyReal

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)