Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I just unplugged the little plug on the battery terminal. Been like that for 2.5+ years now and no issues. Free.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
How long does it stay off after truck is turned off? Any battery drain issues?
I blacked mine out so it didn't shine at night but IIRC It stays on for about 15 minutes after shutting it off. I've had mine this way for 3 years now without any issues.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I just unplugged the little plug on the battery terminal. Been like that for 2.5+ years now and no issues. Free.
And you have totally disabled your BMS and are charging your battery to 100% at full voltage. Which is not good for AGM batteries. You also get no warnings and no automatic shut down of services if you let it sit for long periods. Hope your battery lasts because they probably won't warranty it if they find that unplugged.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
And you have totally disabled your BMS and are charging your battery to 100% at full voltage. Which is not good for AGM batteries. You also get no warnings and no automatic shut down of services if you let it sit for long periods. Hope your battery lasts because they probably won't warranty it if they find that unplugged.
That's exactly what disabling the ASS does too....

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Are you sure?? Mine is diabled in Forscan and I still get all the BMS warnings on the dash and FordPass.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Incorrect.

Disabling ASS through ForScan, ASS Eliminator, or nightlight does NOT disable BMS.

BMS still functions to monitor the battery. As evidenced by the "no ASS" symbol on the dash because the system is charging.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure?? Mine is diabled in Forscan and I still get all the BMS warnings on the dash and FordPass.
Not 1000% sure, but a lot of F-150 owners have been doing it for years, which is where the original idea came from. Time will tell.

LANDCRUISER

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, Super Cab
Occupation
Retired Railroad & USAF Flt Mechanic (Viet Vet 66-67)
Did some research on Disabling the ASS. I know there's some other threads on this but couldn't see where the 4DTech item was mentioned. So, after researching it decided to order the Version 1 ASS Enabler/Disabler for my '22 XLT.

Received it in the mail today. Started up the XLT with the ASS Enabled and plugged the device into the OBD port. Started out the programming with a confirmed Violet light to confirm initializing..........then turned flashing blue to confirm programming..........then turned a solid green color to confirm was finished.

Took the XLT down the street for a drive........came to a stop.........the grey icon on the display came on but the engine did not shut off. Took off from the stop and the grey icon disappeared.

Total time for programming was under 1 minute.

You can plug in the device and revert the programming back to OEM setting at any time.

Here's a link to their website and a video of their install which was spot-on!

https://www.4dtech.com/ford-ranger-19-22-start-stop-eliminator/

4D.jpeg

LANDCRUISER

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, Super Cab
Occupation
Retired Railroad & USAF Flt Mechanic (Viet Vet 66-67)
Just unplug the small plug on the neg battery post. ASS will be disabled. Takes about 2 min (open hood) Remote start will still work just fine

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
How long does it stay off after truck is turned off? Any battery drain issues?
The 110v shuts off with the ignition or anytime the battery drops below 11 volts. I've not had any issues with it causing battery drain. I only use mine when I'm going somewhere that will have a lot of stop and go traffic AND I know I will be in and out of the truck (and likely not remember to manually turn off ASS). During my normal daily commute, I leave ASS on. For my drive, it bumps my mpg up about a mile or so per gallon across a tank of gas. Obviously this will vary depending on the drive and driver.

N559br

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Retired
The ASS can sometimes be your “canary in a coal mine “. When the canary isn’t chirping, that can be bad.

There are certain conditions where the BMS wants to keep the truck running and prevents ASS from turning off the truck - Defrost is on, Max A/C is on, something is plugged into the 120V outlet - here’s a list of the conditions that must be met for it to be on.

93829A5C-B866-47B2-B057-BF60536662D8.jpeg

If the ASS is not engaging, it means the truck wants to provide power to systems that are running or keep charging the battery - usually nothing to worry about.

However, it could also mean you have a battery or alternator issue, trouble with your climate control, or even a brake vacuum problem. Folks who drive in S mode or use a night light to “disable” it, sometimes unplug the light or drive in D for a short trip just to test that their ASS is working as it should.

If your ASS is not engaging, check the obvious items but if it persists after checking, you should see your dealer - bad batteries have been noted on this forum. Ask me how I know…

18C47CEC-551F-4B18-973B-E5216702E8DD.jpeg
I fully agree that's what it says in the manual. But that is not how it's working in my truck. When I start the truck, I get the "Auto Stop disabled by switch" message on the dash and the button on the console is lit. Maybe the previous owner did some programming, but I bought it with 8k miles on the clock from the original selling dealer. There is nothing plugged into any of ports and if I turn it on with the button the auto stop functions. So, I don't know what's going on with it, but it functions the way I wanted it to.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I fully agree that's what it says in the manual. But that is not how it's working in my truck. When I start the truck, I get the "Auto Stop disabled by switch" message on the dash and the button on the console is lit. Maybe the previous owner did some programming, but I bought it with 8k miles on the clock from the original selling dealer. There is nothing plugged into any of ports and if I turn it on with the button the auto stop functions. So, I don't know what's going on with it, but it functions the way I wanted it to.
It is very likely the previous owner installed the ASS disable relay - it installs under the console between the harness and the switch - it does exactly what you said - remembers the last button input.

You would never know it was there unless you looked under the console.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I do recall someone in one the umpteen ASS treads saying they were planning on or had found a way to rig the switch so that it automatically disengaged ASS. Basically sending a signal that the switch had been pressed. If your truck is saying deactivated by switch everytime you start it, it either has a bad switch, a computer issue, or someone found a way to rig it.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Not at all . There is a separate line in Forscan for the BMS. If I remember correctly there are 4 different lines that mention ASS in 2 different modules but the BMS is definitely listed separate .
Sponsored