Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Well Toyota had to do something. Ether make the Tacoma smaller so it is much different that Tundra or slap a Tacoma badge on a Tundra truck. They chose the ladder. For me its too big and bulky on the outside and the cab looks very small and tight on the inside. Not sure why you would buy this truck versus a full size truck? Not sure off road folks want to be toting a hybrid battery around? I just don't get it. The last Tacoma I bought was in 2008. I will wait and see what Toyota does to compete with the Maverick.
The hybrid battery for offroad means you have a built in power station that you don't have to find a place for...

As for full size vs mid-size, they are all big trucks with some only being a handful of inches in difference... The Maverick is ford's realization that they're making the mid-size truck to freaking big. You ever see a 5g ranger next to a ranger from the 90's? It looks like the 90's ranger could fit in the bed of the 5g...

From a looks stand point, I'm not a fan of the tundra clone. But I'd like to see how it functions. Y'all see coil spring rear end!? I like those big screens, I don't think the photos are doing it justice, from a between the seats picture it looks plopped there, but I think from a driving position it'll be great...

Also, that seat in the trd pro, wtf is that shit?! How small does that make the rear seats?
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The new Taco looks like a toy truck on steroids. The interior console and dash looks like a Lego set. The hybrid power train is intriguing, but only if it gets at least 30mpg. I hope to keep my 5g for several more years, but if I have to replace it sooner, I would still consider the 6g Ranger with the 2.7, or the GM twins over this. The only thing that really bothers me about the 6g is the lack of 4 auto, which the GM‘s have. Purely on looks, the GM’s have the edge for me, but the Ranger still looks good to me.
I am beginning to wonder if I have a long lost brother. Your thoughts are mine as well, every point.
Might of been triplets.lol So far I think the ZR2/AT4X are the nicest ones out there now besides the Ranger Raptor. GM nailed it with the interior and exterior looks and so far all the videos (I've seen) on them have been very positive. Of course we'll know nothing about long term quality for several more years. Ford should've had the Tremor to compete with the ZR2/AT4X now because the Raptor will be just about impossible for many to get. So far if I was looking right now I'd have to say the Twins nailed it.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
Toyota put a lot of effort into this to remain #1 in midsized trucks and conquest new buyers. Ford offers an updated midsized truck for Ford guys with blue blood. They look at this market differently because it's a big deal for Toyota and for Ford it's just to use up excess manufacturing space at the Bronco plant.

I only drive Ford, but if you are open to different brands this is definitely worth a look. Other then the Raptor, the 2024 Ranger is much more limited in models then the 5G. This is a bread and butter truck for Toyota so it's not surprising they put about 10x the effort into it versus Ford with the Ranger

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
The styling angles are too over the top for me. Can't ever see myself buying one. Even though Ford is lame the way they do some things, give me my Ranger everyday over this.
That seems to be the design trend these days...too much for our demographics...but it's right for capturing the next gen customers who are much younger than we are...

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
That seems to be the design trend these days...too much for our demographics...but it's right for capturing the next gen customers who are much younger than we are...
it looks like the only tool they had when cutting the clay model was a straight razor. . . .

nerd alert - would be interesting to see the wind tunnel results comparing the last and next generation tacoma.

the previous tacoma looked strange and so round - but someone loved it because it was popular for so long . . . .

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Agreed, I think this will appeal to guys in their 20’s and that group in their 30’s and 40’s that still wear their caps backward.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
it looks like the only tool they had when cutting the clay model was a straight razor. . . .

nerd alert - would be interesting to see the wind tunnel results comparing the last and next generation tacoma.

the previous tacoma looked strange and so round - but someone loved it because it was popular for so long . . . .
We had a Ionic in our studio and that confirms the anti-design trend...
Agreed, I think this will appeal to guys in their 20’s and that group in their 30’s and 40’s that still wear their caps backward.
MINI tried that...not sure how well it worked lol...

14_mini_cooper-coupe_2dr-hatchback_s_rq_oem_1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I am in my mid-30s.
i wear my hat backwards because who cares?
i also don't have a mullet and don't wear pit vipers.
i am despised lol.

i am indifferent to the overall looks of the tacoma exterior. don't hate it, but i'm not in love with it either.

on the interior, i don't mind the big screen, but i think removing the giant tablet and extending the passenger side dash for a clean look would've been quite handsome. there was a better way to do the interior screen, for sure. i just can't articulate what i would've done differently.

the only reason i am interested in the hybrid engine on this thing is because it's toyota. they're basically subject matter experts on hybrid engines with all the years of the prius. watching some of the ChrisFix videos on prius battery repair stuff has really underscored so many clever designs they implemented to their hybrid batteries. the fact that the prius battery is so easily replaced by a normal at home mechanic is neat, to me.

buying a first year anything is a risk. by the time it would be smart to take the plunge on this tacoma, hopefully Ford has come along with more configurations for the 6G Ranger in the US. tough to say tho, because i think others are right: the tacoma is critical to toyota, the ranger does not seem as important to Ford (US).

ArizonaRangers

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 4D and 2023 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
What else do they have to promote about the 2024? Entire 30 second commercials showing rear shock placement? Heck, most guys here don't even like the exterior styling.

I don't know who's in charge of "Ranger" at Ford, but they should be replaced. They're getting destroyed by Toyota, GM, and, now, Nissan.

Sorry, I'll get off my rant soapbox. It's just that as a hardcore Ford guy, I've never been this disappointed in them.

In my mind, Ford had 3 must does for 6G.
1- bigger gas tank
2- Make the Bronco's manual trans available
3- Improve fuel economy with a hybrid option

All fails. I think Ranger market share will fall with the 6G rather than go up.

Danny RN

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired Army/Registered Nurse.
Ugly and they caved to a bunch hipsters.... I'll be keeping my Ranger and would go with almost any brand over that new Tacoma.
Agree. I think the interior looks ridiculous. I owned a '12 Tacoma TRD off road. Reliable..sure....so are 99% of vehicles these days. The seating position was horrible and the powertrain was horrible. I like my Ranger and I like the new Ranger. If not those I would go with the Nissan Frontier. It is nice, but not so overdone like this Tacoma. I am sure the Tacoma will be fine, but not my thing.

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Project manager
I like the new Tacoma look. I also like the new Colorado look. I’m not brand specific and I love my 21 tremor. Not a big fan of the new ranger front end with that bra looking thing. Raptor looked good though. I think Toyota will still have the mid size truck market with all the cab & bed options, and hybrid. But the 1st year models always have issues & all those Toyo customers getting used to the 4 cyl turbo will be interesting. Also the 6500 tow is low but it will get even lower on the trd pro & trail hunter as then they get coils in the back instead of leafs.