2.3L Ecoboost motor the same between the Mustang & Ranger?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Lets make this as simple as possible. A engine part I want is cheaper if you buy older stock inventory (in this case Mustang motor has been around a little longer). Reviews say its the same exact motor, just tuned differently. Just trying to verify if anyone is knowledgeable.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
From what I know, they are SIMILAR, but not necessarily identical. I think some parts were re-worked for the Ranger - is the alternator down low on the Mustang like it is on the Ranger?

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking at picking up a boomba atmospheric adapter. Everything I've found so far indicates the factory BoV for our turbo is identical across platforms. I want to see if the noise annoys the crap out of me before purchasing a full BoV replacement from turbosmart.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I was wondering if the Edge ST is the same motor...mainly intake an cams. If so a tune should get the same performance numbers

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
The article states that it is the first electronic wastegate on the 2.3 so is not the same part as ST/RS/Mustang

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
The article states that it is the first electronic wastegate on the 2.3 so is not the same part as ST/RS/Mustang
I can't find the link now, but earlier with some Google-Fu I basically found the answer directly from Boomba regarding their BoV adapter. Same product (wastegate), slightly different tolerances (they don't really define what it is though) and so they made the Ranger version a different product entry. Other uses on the internet are reporting using the "mustang" version works fine.

So I don't know if the tolerances are in reference to a few millimeters for hood clearance, or if its something as simple as a few millimeters in the opening. Who knows.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ranger XLT spacecab
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
There is a thread on this forum (link below) that shows some of the engineering differences that the Ranger engine has. The head/top of the block is more like the RS engine, the inlet is basically the same as the Mustang. The sump and oil pump setup is unique to the Ranger.
The other known major unique parts are the oil cooler/filter setup and the electronically controlled wastegate (wastegate =/= blow off valve, the wastegate is in the turbine side, the CBV is in the compressor side).

I'd imagine the compressor bypass valve is the same part common to all of the 2.3 EBs. PS it isn't a blow off valve, it is a re-circulation valve.

Be warned that the way airflow is measured in these engines means that letting air out of the system at the turbo can cause fuel metering issues. It most likely won't be enough to throw a code as it doesn't in the RS etc, MAF is measured up near the air filter in the piping.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-ranger-2-3l-ecoboost-engine-intro.1018/

Cheers

crazyrazor21

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Acquisitions Consultant
Lets make this as simple as possible. A engine part I want is cheaper if you buy older stock inventory (in this case Mustang motor has been around a little longer). Reviews say its the same exact motor, just tuned differently. Just trying to verify if anyone is knowledgeable.
I know I am super-duper late on this but the answer is no. The 2.3 from the mustang is a decendant from the Lima engine. The focus RS and the Ranger 2.3L is a bored and stroked 2.0 L ecoboost with a forged crankshaft, rods, and low frictionpistons with skirt coatings. Very different. That's why when the Spain plant was using mustang head gaskets on the RS's they were blowing up. I actually have a picture of the rods from a ranger and a mustang and the mustang rods looth like toothpicks in comparison. Lastly, Jack your bull bar is sick man.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Be warned that the way airflow is measured in these engines means that letting air out of the system at the turbo can cause fuel metering issues. It most likely won't be enough to throw a code as it doesn't in the RS etc, MAF is measured up near the air filter in the piping.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-ranger-2-3l-ecoboost-engine-intro.1018/
FYI, the 2.3 Ecoboost does not have a Manifold Air Flow (MAF) sensor. It uses a speed density control system that uses a manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor.

What this means is modifications to the air intake flow do not impact fuel metering. You can change the recirculating valve in the intake to one that vents to atmosphere with no impact on how the engine runs.

fWIW, the 5.0 v8 uses a MAF control system and that is the reason that most CAI for the 5.0 require a tune to compensate for the change in air flow.

Also, the sensor near the air filter on a 2.3 Evoboost is a temperature sensor.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I didn't read everything, but I'm super happy to see the coolant passages between the cyls of the ranger were crossdrilled back from the start. Instead of the coolant flowing under the gasket causing issues with other Ecoboost 4cyls.

Question I didn't ask; answered.

Ref. 2nd post in the thread

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I'm looking at picking up a boomba atmospheric adapter. Everything I've found so far indicates the factory BoV for our turbo is identical across platforms. I want to see if the noise annoys the crap out of me before purchasing a full BoV replacement from turbosmart.
I have a Turbosmart and to be honest I rarely hear it. I have the venting one too.
Sponsored