2.3L Ecoboost motor the same between the Mustang & Ranger?

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ranger XLT spacecab
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
FYI, the 2.3 Ecoboost does not have a Manifold Air Flow (MAF) sensor. It uses a speed density control system that uses a manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor.

Also, the sensor near the air filter on a 2.3 Ecoboost is a temperature sensor.
Thanks for the clarification. In that case ignore what I said about a BOV!

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ranger XLT spacecab
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
I know I am super-duper late on this but the answer is no. The 2.3 from the mustang is a decendant from the Lima engine. The focus RS and the Ranger 2.3L is a bored and stroked 2.0 L ecoboost with a forged crankshaft, rods, and low frictionpistons with skirt coatings. Very different.
Both the 2.0 and 2.3 EcoBoosts are decedents from the Mazda L engine in all applications (not the Pinto/Lima). The differences in the RS engine vs the Mustang engine that caused the head gasket issue was a change in the cooling passage at the top of the block, and bottom of the head. Otherwise the two engines are fairly similar to each other, save the east/west vs north/south mounting differences.

crazyrazor21

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Acquisitions Consultant
Both the 2.0 and 2.3 EcoBoosts are decedents from the Mazda L engine in all applications (not the Pinto/Lima). The differences in the RS engine vs the Mustang engine that caused the head gasket issue was a change in the cooling passage at the top of the block, and bottom of the head. Otherwise the two engines are fairly similar to each other, save the east/west vs north/south mounting differences.
The Duratec motors which were used to create the 2.3 L mustang Ecoboost were made at the Lima plant and were designed off of the old Lima architecture. While similar, the ranger and mustang engines are different. The Rangers 2.3 L was designed when Ford made the Focus RS.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I didn't read everything, but I'm super happy to see the coolant passages between the cyls of the ranger were crossdrilled back from the start. Instead of the coolant flowing under the gasket causing issues with other Ecoboost 4cyls.
At least for the 2016-2017 Focus RS, that was not a problem with the design, (as I understand, it's very similar to the Ranger cooling setup) but rather Ford found a problem with the head gaskets for the updated design and decided to install some other 2.3 head gasket that was not designed for this new cooling setup. I'm 100% sure this was not a "oh we accidently installed the wrong head gaskets on the RS engines" problem as some will insist it is. There is no way that a competent inventory system in Spain would not notice thousands of unused RS head gaskets in the engine plant inventory and also being short thousands of head gaskets for the non-RS engines. Ford stopped production of the RS Feb 15th of 2016 because they found this issue and had not decided how to address it, and since the bean counters may have said scrap the RS, production was stopped. Once a useable plan was proposed and the perhaps the bean counters were reminded of the huge blackeye Ford (stock value impacts as well) would get for not delivering on such a hyped up car that they already took orders for, production resumed with the wrong head gaskets getting installed into the engines from that point forward, they also somehow had to handle all of the engines that already left Spain and were perhaps already in a car.

For my RS I was issued VIN1 on Feb 11th, Feb 15th they pulled that VIN1 (as did every preorder buyer that I knew at that time with a VIN assigned but not yet built), on Mar 23rd I was giving VIN2 that I did receive. My car was listed as built on Apr 7th but didn't ship until Apr 19th (that was one of the shorter ones, you can read about cars there over a month on the RS forums.

Last edited:

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Every single time I read one of your posts and you mention the RS, or I see the pic on your profile.... my heart jumps a bit. Damn. RS is one car that I should have just said screw it and bought one. While the wife had said "hell no" as my ST wasn't that old, I should have pressed the argument and proceeded. The RS will always remain one of my favorites.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I have a Turbosmart and to be honest I rarely hear it. I have the venting one too.
Hey Rick,

Been a while, miss ya buddy.
Rev from 2k to 3500-4500k with an instant 0-20% pedal position to 60% pedal position or more to hear a loud one. Rev from 2k -3500/4k slowly from low pedal position without releasing pressure, then release. Two methods to hiss at people.

Source: I do this too often.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Rick,

Been a while, miss ya buddy.
Rev from 2k to 3500-4500k with an instant 0-20% pedal position to 60% pedal position or more to hear a loud one. Rev from 2k -3500/4k slowly from low pedal position without releasing pressure, then release. Two methods to hiss at people.

Source: I do this too often.

Mine just has the same loud hiss at any point around 2k rpms. lol

Edit: At idle not so much, but under actual movement.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Mine just has the same loud hiss at any point around 2k rpms. lol

Edit: At idle not so much, but under actual movement.
Might have to hop on that boomba bov adaptor train :eek:

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Might have to hop on that boomba bov adaptor train :eek:

I thought they all sounded the same? If not you guys have been missing out lol

I can rev to 2k, let go hiss, and do it over and over again.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I thought they all sounded the same? If not you guys have been missing out lol

I can rev to 2k, let go hiss, and do it over and over again.
Perhaps, I thought it might of activated easier.

Ahh yes, I can do that too with turbosmart but it's def a lowered hiss, not as prominent as a higher rev hiss. If I stab the pedal from low rpm to 2k and let go real quick it will hiss loudly but the truck jerks funny sometimes as it wants to keep going.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Turbosmart and to be honest I rarely hear it. I have the venting one too.
The only time I can hear it is when in neutral revving and lift off...because we don't have stick shift...there's never a lift off between gears to allow blow off to sound due to seamless shifts
Sponsored