What's "all new" about the 2024 2.3L EcoBoost?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I heard that Ford is claiming an "all new" 2.3L EcoBoost engine for 2024...
Any details??
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
They can barely build why they already have designed. A totally new design in the same displacement... Seems... Unlikely. Maybe I am wrong.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
That airbox mounted in front of the engine would be a pain when changing the fan belt. I suppose it's not something you have to do much these days of flat serpentine belts.

Reactions: Doc

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I'm guessing the new airbox design is just for the Mustang since the current gen has the filter on the left side and the turbo on the right. Wouldn't make sense for the Ranger.

The port injection would definitely cure the carbon buildup issue since it worked on the 2.7 and 3.5.

The new 5,000 psi of fuel pressure is about double what the 2.3 has now. It must have a big bump in horsepower :D. Although I bet it's noisy as hell.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Now I know it does not make sense to redesign an engine like that, but there have been such huge advancements in cylinder combustion in the last handful of years it's amazing , if the electric car had not killed the future of the ICE, in the future we would all be driving cars with super efficient, high output, small displacement gasoline engines.

It started in racing where most state of the art designs tend to come from, they have figured out how to get the whole charge to burn in the chamber, evenly and all at once, more power, clean burning with less fuel.

They are also well on the way to GCI engines (gasoline compression engines, F1 origin) no spark plug, it's a crazy design.

At Honda Racing we melted down many engines during combustion chamber and GCI development.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I'll Bite
It comes with a COVER!!! ?

OP
OP
Floyd

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Now I know it does not make sense to redesign an engine like that, but there have been such huge advancements in cylinder combustion in the last handful of years it's amazing , if the electric car had not killed the future of the ICE, in the future we would all be driving cars with super efficient, high output, small displacement gasoline engines.

It started in racing where most state of the art designs tend to come from, they have figured out how to get the whole charge to burn in the chamber, evenly and all at once, more power, clean burning with less fuel.

They are also well on the way to GCI engines (gasoline compression engines, F1 origin) no spark plug, it's a crazy design.

At Honda Racing we melted down many engines during combustion chamber and GCI development.
Aren't you being a bit presumptuous about the "electric car killing the future of the ICE?
Politicians are not engineers or scientists... and they can't just wish or force their delusions on the real world all that easily.
As Will Rogers was quoted as saying...
"There are men running governments who shouldn't be allowed to play with matches" :giggle:

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
That’s impressive: One of its big emissions enablers is fitment of both port- and direct-injection, with the latter's pressure bumped to 5,000 psi.

Like to see the alternator up higher too.

Wonder if this change is to help with the buildup on valves we see with just the direct inject.
Imagine these boards in about 10-15 years. “Mah truck won’t start and move - someone please tell why it won’t move. Ah have me uh screwdriver, crescent wrench and pliers…”

Already seeing this on the LX boards as the older cars have found their way into the seedy neighborhoods…?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
The 2.3 engine is not the same as the one in the mustang. The ranger has the same 270 hp, the mustang is 310 hp.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
The 2.3 engine is not the same as the one in the mustang. The ranger has the same 270 hp, the mustang is 310 hp.
Let's tell the Mustang people the Ranger motor is superior. Only rubes drive Eco boost Mustangs anyway.... :)

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Let's tell the Mustang people the Ranger motor is superior. Only rubes drive Eco boost Mustangs anyway.... :)
My wife’s car;) HPP Ecoboost 330 hp, 350 torque stock.

2CDF9C3B-BF0D-466A-833A-528EC28B0DE3.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: