What's "all new" about the 2024 2.3L EcoBoost?

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
My wife’s car;) HPP Ecoboost.

2CDF9C3B-BF0D-466A-833A-528EC28B0DE3.jpeg
I can't read the badge.....

Edit: I looked it up: High Performance Package for the Ecoboost. Bless her heart - she coulda hada V8. My deepest apologies!

Knew a family who owned a farm in the Wellborn-McAlpin area and kept a home in Jacksonville.

Dad ran a business in Jax and mom ran the farm - I went to high school with their youngest son. Spent many a weekend on the farm. Good memories. Thinking they are probably all deceased now except for their older children (maybe).

hqdefault.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Doc

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
The 2.3 engine is not the same as the one in the mustang. The ranger has the same 270 hp, the mustang is 310 hp.
Don't forget the Rangers 270HP is rated using 87 octane and the Mustangs 310HP is rated using 93 octane. The Ranger on 93 is about 300HP. Ford rates the 2.3 in the Bronco on both 87 (275HP) and 93 (315) in their sales literature.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Don't forget the Rangers 270HP is rated using 87 octane and the Mustangs 310HP is rated using 93 octane. The Ranger on 93 is about 300HP. Ford rates the 2.3 in the Bronco on both 87 (275HP) and 93 (315) in their sales literature.
Recalling early 5g dyno runs (completely stock): 240 rwhp on 87 E10 and 255 rwhp on 93 E10. I still think the FRPP tune for Ranger is under rated.

Since I'm a truly modest story teller, I feel my Ranger makes 305 RWHP - 380 RWT on 93 E0, same as the Livernois tune. Gross numbers? 335 hp and 410 tq. :):):)

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Heres my ranger 93 octane, unleashed tune. Rear wheel numbers. 288 hp 388 torque.

B3266F7D-32F2-4A80-BD13-B979F80A7F87.jpeg

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I can't read the badge.....

Edit: I looked it up: High Performance Package for the Ecoboost. Bless her heart - she coulda hada V8. My deepest apologies!

Knew a family who owned a farm in the Wellborn-McAlpin area and kept a home in Jacksonville.

Dad ran a business in Jax and mom ran the farm - I went to high school with their youngest son. Spent many a weekend on the farm. Good memories. Thinking they are probably all deceased now except for their older children (maybe).

hqdefault.jpeg
Small world, I live on the live oak/McAlpin line…The old farmers there call it ( mycowpen) :)

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Dynos that show that for a ranger and not the bronco?

I see people who say that

Then

Others say it limits overall power (ref. My posts about how well it does in hot temps)

Seems like it Ford actually certified it higher on high octane they would have bragged about it somewhere. I can't find that somewhere other than the obvious statement it will run better with high octane under stress in the manual.

Subjective note: I just drained a low octane tank to nothing to replace it with 93, prepping for my tuner. There was not a 30 hp difference between those tanks. Even after it had time to adjust. I like to think my ass dyno tuned enough to notice that big of a jump.

Last edited:

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Aren't you being a bit presumptuous about the "electric car killing the future of the ICE?
Politicians are not engineers or scientists... and they can't just wish or force their delusions on the real world all that easily.
As Will Rogers was quoted as saying...
"There are men running governments who shouldn't be allowed to play with matches" :giggle:
I could only hope I'm being presumptuous, hopefully ICE can carry on in multiple forms, but it''s looking dim for transportation vehicles.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/11/ford-signs-pledge-to-phase-out-fossil-fuel-vehicles-by-2040/

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Dynos that show that for a ranger and not the bronco?

I see people who say that

Then

Others say it limits overall power (ref. My posts about how well it does in hot temps)

Seems like it Ford actually certified it higher on high octane they would have bragged about it somewhere. I can't find that somewhere other than the obvious statement it will run better with high octane under stress in the manual.

Subjective note: I just drained a low octane tank to nothing to replace it with 93, prepping for my tuner. There was not a 30 hp difference between those tanks. Even after it had time to adjust. I like to think my ass dyno tuned enough to notice that big of a jump.
My tune was the R+D tune by Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning. It was the prototype. Good luck with your Ranger, keep doing your research, these trucks are a lot o fun!
Regards
Doc
(Ferguson is a 5g member)

Heres some other tunes. Palm Beach Dyno.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Floyd

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Imagine these boards in about 10-15 years. “Mah truck won’t start and move - someone please tell why it won’t move. Ah have me uh screwdriver, crescent wrench and pliers…”

Already seeing this on the LX boards as the older cars have found their way into the seedy neighborhoods…?
In reality, ICE engines worked on the same principle in 1903 as they do today.
Its just that mechanics today rely on computers to diagnose and computers to control the process.
Fact is that not one in fifty working auto techs today could diagnose and repair my 1950 Ford.
Most have never seen a carburetor or even a distributor.
How many could still adjust the rack on a two stroke Detroit?
It is true that techniques do change fast though, a few years after retirement can sure leave you without out the latest techniques or specialty tools.
Back in 1973 I had a friend who was a full time qualified mechanic. The day someone called him on a newfangled electronic ignition car... he called me and closed up shop.
When I built my first flathead I called a 90 year old retired mechanic, and learned a lot from him.
Right now I personally know exactly one guy who still knows his way around a Y-Block.
The skills today are no more or less challenging,.....Its focused experience (and support) which makes all the difference.:like:

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Aren't you being a bit presumptuous about the "electric car killing the future of the ICE?
Politicians are not engineers or scientists... and they can't just wish or force their delusions on the real world all that easily.
As Will Rogers was quoted as saying...
"There are men running governments who shouldn't be allowed to play with matches" :giggle:
And exactly when has this stopped them from doing, or at least attempting to do that in the past. - Sadly.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Its just that mechanics today rely on computers to diagnose and computers to control the process.
Fact is that not one in fifty working auto techs today could diagnose and repair my 1950 Ford.
Techniques do change fast though, a few years after retirement can sure leave you without out the latest techniques or specialty tools.
Back in 1973 I had a friend who was a full time qualified mechanic. The day someone called him on a newfangled electronic ignition car... he called me and closed up shop.
When I built my first flathead I called a 90 year old retired mechanic, and learned a lot from him.
Right now I personally know exactly one guy who still kmows his way around a Y-Block.
The skills today are no more or less challenging,.....Its focused experience (and support) which makes all the difference.:like:
Hi Floyd,

Know Y blocks well. How about 4100 and spread bore 4150 carburetor or the replacement 2700 VV or worse the 7200 VV Carburetor... VV is variable venturi. I worked out of my garage in Michigan on the side on Fords of the time...As well as ran a clock repair business...Always busy...

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
Floyd

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And exactly when has this stopped them from doing, or at least attempting to do that in the past. - Sadly.
Never

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
It is true that techniques do change fast though, a few years after retirement can sure leave you without out the latest techniques or specialty tools.
Right now I personally know exactly one guy who still knows his way around a Y-Block.
This is true, I'm glad my dad (who was a mechanical engineer) taught me most of that stuff before he died. He also left me with a lot of old manuals. Still unless I'm actually working on, or restoring, an old car, I'll admit I'm not too sorry to see the Kettering ignition system, distributors, or carburetors go. I can't believe how often we had to change, or adjust points, or change spark plugs and leads, or oil in the "good" old days.

OP
OP
Floyd

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Floyd,

Know Y blocks well. How about 4100 and spread bore 4150 carburetor or the replacement 2700 VV or worse the 7200 VV Carburetor... VV is variable venturi. I worked out of my garage in Michigan on the side on Fords of the time...As well as ran a clock repair business...Always busy...

Best,
Phil
Got hooked on Face Wound Clocks many years ago, I have 17 running in my house as I type this.
Many are well over 100 years old, examples from several countries,... single, double and tripple train even Bim/Bam and multiple chimes. Funny how you just don't hear them much after a while but visitors sure do! :like:

DSCF0048.JPG

DSCF0075.JPG

DSCF0045.JPG

DSCF0046.JPG

DSCF0049.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: