10,000 Oil change interval.

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
My last diesel was an 01 7.3 that had a 14 liter. oil capacity. IIRC 5k was the recommended interval for normal operation. A Detroit DD16 has a displacement of 15.6 liters with a 49 liter oil capacity. It has a 60k mile recommended oil service interval for long haul service. You're correct. It has over twice the displacement with over triple the oil capacity but it wil go over twelve times farther between oil changes.
detroit recommends 60k oil changes because bean counters love cheap shit, they don’t care, they throw the truck away before 500k, doing 8 oil changes instead of 14 over however many thousands of trucks adds up to millions. it’s the second owners that pay the big costs for the neglect. My KW is 9.5 gal plus filter and I shoot for 15k but usually winds up being closer to 17-18k by the time I actually get to it, greased once a month.

my dealer does service on the ranger as part of the extended warranty and I have them do it at 5k, I don’t buy depreciating assets to throw them away, I’ve got no problem writing off maintenance even if the dealer wasn’t covering it, oil is cheaper then a replacement truck/engine
Sponsored

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
detroit recommends 60k oil changes because bean counters love cheap shit, they don’t care, they throw the truck away before 500k, doing 8 oil changes instead of 14 over however many thousands of trucks adds up to millions. it’s the second owners that pay the big costs for the neglect. My KW is 9.5 gal plus filter and I shoot for 15k but usually winds up being closer to 17-18k by the time I actually get to it, greased once a month.

my dealer does service on the ranger as part of the extended warranty and I have them do it at 5k, I don’t buy depreciating assets to throw them away, I’ve got no problem writing off maintenance even if the dealer wasn’t covering it, oil is cheaper then a replacement truck/engine
What does KW recommend for oil change intervals for your truck?

Last edited:

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I know I'm late to this party but I change oil when the oil minder tell me which is around 10,000 miles. I did the same with my 2013 Escape Titanium and I was well over 100,000 miles when I traded for my Ranger. In the Escape I used Mobil 1 full synthetic and in my Ranger I use Motorcraft synthetic blend. It works I have had no problems and I'm sticking with it.

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
15-25k depending on severity of duty i believe is what Cummins says, my trailer is done every 1500 hours

I would bet a majority of people do not meet the “light duty” condition that ford actually recommends the 10k for, severe duty is still 5k

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I don't know why we bother to argue about this, we all have our opinions and cling to the stuff our daddies or uncles or uncledaddies taught us anyway.
I completely agree.

Many of us want to stick to what we know growing up and our experiences with the vehicles we had back then. They are right.

Some of us want to trust the engineers and go with what they say. We are right.

Nuff said.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I would bet a majority of people do not meet the “light duty” condition that ford actually recommends the 10k for, severe duty is still 5k
I see someone is calling in from Lake Woebegon, where all the children are above average.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
my dad changed oil spring and fall, regardless of distance.
he did 40000km a year.
he never had a failed engine, but im sure he had many that were sick.

i dont follow what he learned me. theres been many advancements in that 40-50yr period.

i trust people who are educated. period.
personal experiences arent education.
Experience is education.
A diploma is not much more than a gatepass to gain access to an education through experience.
My money is on educated experience every time, with or without a diploma!

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I decided to test what I already knew to be true, that modern engines with modern oils can go much longer between oil changes than engines of the past.

Many on this site and on most other forums still claim the Ford recommended 10K oil change interval is foolish. Being a hardcore gearhead and a former Ford mechanic, I know that oil technology and engine technology has made great strides in the last few decades, and I feel the 3-5K mile oil changes are a waste of money and an environmental irresponsibility in my view.

The tolerances of todays engines and the great efforts made in friction reduction, emission and fuel controls have payed great dividends in oil life. I've noticed that the oil in my modern Ford's is cleaner at 10,000 miles than the oil was in my 70's and 80's Fords at 1000 miles.

As the oil analysis report shows, everything is A-okay after a 9800 mile oil change interval. The report says that potassium is higher than would be expected, which could indicate coolant consumption (or nothing at all). I'll go with "nothing at all" at this point, given I haven't added an ounce of coolant in to 40,000 miles I've driven the truck and it still indicated full.

Let the flaming commence.
But why? I honestly do not understand why you would want to let it go that long unless you were trying to prove a point or were a tree-hugger and worried about soil contamination, etc. from disposed oil. Compared to other things people have no issue paying money for, like a full tank of premium gas for instance, changing your oil is comparatively cheap.

I just do not get it. F**k what the oil analysis says, clean fresh oil, and oil with fewer miles on it between changes is MUCH better than oil that has been in there for 10K miles.

Just my opinion, but again, I just do not get it. I have seen this argument before and will never understand.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
But why? I honestly do not understand why you would want to let it go that long
Why would you leave your oil in for 3k miles? Why would you leave your oil in for 1k miles? Why don't you change your oil every time you put gas in the tank? If it's so cheap and easy there's no reason to not change your oil daily, right?

I have seen this argument before and will never understand why the hell people cling to some arbitrary number their "opinion" decided must be better than the recommended service interval.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
But why? I honestly do not understand why you would want to let it go that long unless you were trying to prove a point or were a tree-hugger and worried about soil contamination, etc. from disposed oil. Compared to other things people have no issue paying money for, like a full tank of premium gas for instance, changing your oil is comparatively cheap.

I just do not get it. F**k what the oil analysis says, clean fresh oil, and oil with fewer miles on it between changes is MUCH better than oil that has been in there for 10K miles.

Just my opinion, but again, I just do not get it. I have seen this argument before and will never understand.
There's the rub. It's just your opinion. Back it up with hard data and it becomes reliable information.

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
I see someone is calling in from Lake Woebegon, where all the children are above average.
And all the women are strong and all the men are good looking!

Loved the storytelling of Lake Wobegon, Minnesota! We actually have a Lake Wobegon Trail.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
provided that experience is correct
you cant say my dad had any skills as a teacher, nor the skills to determine what was best for his vehicle.
sure, theres anecdotal evidence that his 20000km oil changes didnt cause an engine failure, same time I never got taught what else to look for. I highly doubt his senses were anywhere near accurate as an actual oil sample.
So his experience, is quite honestly based on zero facts and worthless
Thus the rest of the quote.... "Educated Experience"

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
And all the women are strong and all the men are good looking!

Loved the storytelling of Lake Wobegon, Minnesota! We actually have a Lake Wobegon Trail.
The wife and I saw Garrison Keillor live before the COVID closed our local theater. It was a hoot, both funny and uplifting.

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
The wife and I saw Garrison Keillor live before the COVID closed our local theater. It was a hoot, both funny and uplifting.
I agree . . . and being from Minnesota, his humor is even funnier - especially to those that live in small Minnesota towns and can relate!
Sponsored