2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
From my retiree News letter

Ford’s 021C Concept Features Unique Design Inspiration

Sep-16-2021

Email Share

We recently brought you the story of how the interior of the all-new Ford Maverick Lariat series was inspired by a pair of shoes. Today, we have another great example of how everyday items can influence automotive design.
In 1999 Ford commissioned Marc Newson, an influential product designer known for his furniture, glassware and restaurant interiors (and later the Apple Watch), to create the 021C urban concept vehicle. With the exception of the powertrain, mechanical and electrical systems, Newson designed every part of the car. Aimed at consumers 21 and younger, the prototype was intended to challenge Ford’s own design process.
“As car designers, we tend to approach everything from an automotive perspective,” said former Ford vice president of design J Mays. Mays described the unique design of the urban concept vehicle as “retro futurism,” and said it treats the car as a cultural icon. “We have created a distinct point of view with this car, and if you don’t get it, don’t worry – you’re probably not meant to,” he added.
Built with elements of what was then Ford’s next-generation small car platform, the 021C featured a carbon fiber exterior with simple shapes and clean surfaces. The interior featured a flat floor that curved up to meet vertical surfaces, its spaciousness accentuated by an instrument panel that appeared to float. A variety of textures and materials in this minimalist design included aluminum, used for simple buttons that made up the car’s door locks, as well as rubber. Pedestal-mounted front seats swiveled 90 degrees to help with ingress and egress, while the rear doors were situated on a rear hinge.
“Ask children to draw a car and they’ll draw something like this,” said Newson. “So in many ways, the 021C is a familiar and comfortable project. But it doesn’t use many typical automotive design cues.”
A single horizontal LED headlight was created by an industrial lighting company, while the vehicle also featured a single taillight and retractable slide-out luggage tray. The 021C was powered by a 1.6-liter Ford Zetec engine mated to a four-speed push-button automatic transmission. Built at Ford’s Ghia studio in Italy, the project took nine months to complete.
021C, the name of which is said to also represent the color code for its original bright orange hue, won best concept at the Tokyo Motor Show in 1999. It was shown at International Furniture Fair in Milan a year later – repainted lime green – before being featured at the London Design Museum. It later resurfaced as part of an exhibition of Newson’s designs in Manhattan in 2010, and was part of a similar exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in 2014.

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Don't remember seeing this back then.

I like it. Reminds me of an old 510. Too bad they never made a similar production car.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Looks like Mr. Incredible's car.

Yes, I'm subjected to watching kids movies on a regular basis.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Good ole Jay May's days...

Last edited:

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I would drive that if they toned the "concept-ness" back from about a 13 to around a 7. Also, I agree, it reminds me of a Datsun 510.

1631916593837.png

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
They demolish prototypes right?

Do they demolish concepts?

God I hope so.
Hi HPRZ,

Some of these concepts go across the street to the Henry Ford Museum...they may never see light of day, but many are in storage on the property. I have had the opportunity to tour behind the scenes...Amazing what this museum has in storage in the way of automobiles. Wish I had a camera but not permitted....

Best,
Phil