If you are thinking about trading your ranger in, don't

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Are you special? You have aluminum doors? I thought it was just the hood and tailgate that were aluminum.
To verify this on my '21, I checked with a fridge magnet.
Tailgate - aluminum.
Bed - steel.
Cab - steel.
Doors - steel.
Front fenders - aluminum. (or plastic as some have suggested)
Hood. - aluminum.
I dunno, I figued that's why people complain about the sound of their doors closing.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I dunno, I figued that's why people complain about the sound of their doors closing.
They're so thin and "tinny" sounding they might as well be aluminum.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
They're so thin and "tinny" sounding they might as well be aluminum.
I don't get it, doesn't bother me. I know it's not like my old '68 Chevy! Friggin' tank. But probably 10 MPG.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't get it, doesn't bother me. I know it's not like my old '68 Chevy! Friggin' tank. But probably 10 MPG.
It doesn't bother me either but you do need to be more careful when hand washing. The first time I washed mine I thought I'd put a huge dent in the door from the wash mitt. :oops: The roof isn't that much better so I learned not to lean on it now. lol

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Surprised no one tagged the ultimate Nissan troll. Thanks for the truly honest review, David. Confirmed my suspicions about the new Nissan truck. They always cut corners even dating back to the old Frontiers, I mean how else was it the cheapest truck... I had a similar situation with the Chevy Colorado, when I went to the Ranger... it was night and day.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Can/will Ford disable fake engine sound?
Yes and no, they wont mess with forscan but you sure can... but I think you meant to respond to the other hot thread about fake engine noise.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Yes and no, they wont mess with forscan but you sure can... but I think you meant to respond to the other hot thread about fake engine noise.
You are right. I don't want to mess with computor systems, I was hoping Ford woud be willing.
If I did it, I might never be able to drive that Ranger again. :eek:)

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Are you special? You have aluminum doors? I thought it was just the hood and tailgate that were aluminum.
Tailgate - aluminum.
Bed - steel.
Cab - steel.
Doors - steel.
Hood. - aluminum.
I got smart....took some heavy duty aluminum foil and made imprints/impressions of all the Ranger's exterior panels. Stored them away in the shed for future body panel replacement if ever in a boo-boo.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
You are right. I don't want to mess with computor systems, I was hoping Ford woud be willing.
If I did it, I might never be able to drive that Ranger again. :eek:)
I am in the same boat, I thought I would mess with it but I tried and said maybe not.

N559br

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Retired
I also thought about the Nissan, but it's lack of towing ability killed that deal. My 2021 FX4 doesn't seem to suffer from the shocks as bad as everyone else's and it pulls my boat without complaint. I'll stick with it until the 2024 units come out with a hybrid.

MT2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL STX 4X4, 2008 Mercury Mariner
Occupation
Manufacturing Tech
Tailgate - aluminum.
Bed - steel.
Cab - steel.
Doors - steel.
Hood. - aluminum.
That's what I found on my 2021 as well. I thought there was more aluminum but was happy suprised there wasnt.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Same here. I had one "problem child" 1999 Cougar but the other eight new Fords & Mercurys were/are trouble free*

*Well until now. My 2009 Mariner goes in for a suspected worn out CV joint 1/30.
138k mi.
Update: seeing as how there isn't a Mercury Mariner thread, I'll hijack tis one. I took it in this morning for a "thunk" over frost heaves and chuckholes (the new shocks& struts didn't cure it) and a droning vibration at 60mph which I thought was a cv joint. It was, kinda; it comes as a whole axle shaft/CV assembly. The thunk? Center bearing. $934 plus tax to do both but the coffee was free.

It wasn't too difficult to throw nearly 1 large into a 14 year-old car, It has had only one other trip to the shop for a heater fan control (defaulted to highest speed) other than normal maintenance. and the body & paint are in great shape.
Bonus after MLK Day Hijack!!
They had a Mustang Mach-e Premium on the floor; $68,610 Star white Metallic as the only option for $795 right next to a Black Mustang GT Premium Convertible; $53,455 the '-e might actually be faster, but ICE 'Stangs are the boss hoss.

MT2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL STX 4X4, 2008 Mercury Mariner
Occupation
Manufacturing Tech
Update: seeing as how there isn't a Mercury Mariner thread, I'll hijack tis one. I took it in this morning for a "thunk" over frost heaves and chuckholes (the new shocks& struts didn't cure it) and a droning vibration at 60mph which I thought was a cv joint. It was, kinda; it comes as a whole axle shaft/CV assembly. The thunk? Center bearing. $934 plus tax to do both but the coffee was free.

It wasn't too difficult to throw nearly 1 large into a 14 year-old car, It has had only one other trip to the shop for a heater fan control (defaulted to highest speed) other than normal maintenance. and the body & paint are in great shape.
Bonus after MLK Day Hijack!!
They had a Mustang Mach-e Premium on the floor; $68,610 Star white Metallic as the only option for $795 right next to a Black Mustang GT Premium Convertible; $53,455 the '-e might actually be faster, but ICE 'Stangs are the boss hoss.
I have an '08 Mariner. Was the fan control issue the blower motor resistor? That's what happened on mine.
Sponsored