SuperCab Rangers are Rare Here, How About Your Location?

SuperCab vs SuperCrew What are you seeing where you live?

• Total voters

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I took delivery of my 2020 supercab xlt on December 30, don’t see hardly any Rangers of any kind in my area

713AFDE5-5C5E-4780-8BEC-007D96EF818E.jpeg
Looks like you already leveled it out? Looks good!
Sponsored

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I've seen just 2 S/Cabs here in Honolulu so far, one was a white XL 4x2 model the other a beautiful black Lariat 4x4.
Because I insist that my new Ranger be a S/Cab Lariat 4x2 because of its looks and slightly longer bed led me to special ordering a 2020 last August. S/Cabs in any configuration at the 3 dealers here on Oahu are rarer than hens teeth, yups we only got 3 dealers.
Hopefully, mine will be unique for a while, it will be a FX2 equipped Lariat in Rapid Red Tri-coat, I already have a FordRangerLifts 3" front leveling kit waiting for it.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
I took delivery of my 2020 supercab xlt on December 30, don’t see hardly any Rangers of any kind in my area

713AFDE5-5C5E-4780-8BEC-007D96EF818E.jpeg
My location is considered metro east, Illinois, St Louis,Mo across the river where I work.

foulmouf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Cab STX Fx4
Maybe my area was a fluke and we just got a disproportionate amount of SuperCabs in the first round of deliveries. My local dealership is full to the brim with Rangers and all but one are SuperCrews and the one SuperCab is a truly base model XL.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
My Scab is a year old now and was the 1st Scab in Texas. I still have never seen another exactly like it. Starting to see a few Scabs around here, maybe 1 in 8 is my guess. Truck has been flawless so far and does everything I want and more.

IMG_2330.jpg

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My Scab is a year old now and was the 1st Scab in Texas. I still have never seen another exactly like it. Starting to see a few Scabs around here, maybe 1 in 8 is my guess. Truck has been flawless so far and does everything I want and more.

IMG_2330.jpg
She's a beauty, Paul!

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
This is just my theory, but I wonder if the Supercab exists mainly because Ford recognizes there is some demand for 6' beds, and producing a Supercab was easier than adding a long wheelbase model (i.e., SuperCrew with a long bed) which Toyota and GM do have. They might have decided that most of the demand for 6' beds was for work trucks. Based on the small number of Supercabs on dealer lots, it does seem like for most of the target market segment, the 5' bed fills their needs, so maybe that was a good decision. If there was a truly large demand for Supercabs, dealers would have probably started ordering more of them by now.

We needed a 6' bed in a truck that's not a work truck primarily because we have an existing slide-in popup camper that wouldn't work in a 5' bed, but that probably puts us in a very small minority since anyone starting from scratch with a 5' bed can get a slightly shorter version of the same camper. As a side benefit, though, the Supercab was cheaper by a significant amount.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I just wanted a 6' bed and didn't particularly want the added length of a 4 door cab. Even if they had a long bed super crew I wouldn't get it. (Might as well get a full-size if size didn't matter.) The reality of the market right now is that there are more people trying to use pickups as people haulers than stuff haulers, so the market for non-supercrew trucks is limited. I'll admit that as much as I'd like to have an 8 foot bed, even I'd have to think hard before I'd lose the back seats entirely if that was still an option.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I just wanted a 6' bed and didn't particularly want the added length of a 4 door cab. Even if they had a long bed super crew I wouldn't get it. (Might as well get a full-size if size didn't matter.) The reality of the market right now is that there are more people trying to use pickups as people haulers than stuff haulers, so the market for non-supercrew trucks is limited. I'll admit that as much as I'd like to have an 8 foot bed, even I'd have to think hard before I'd lose the back seats entirely if that was still an option.
Same here. We no longer have much of a need to carry rear seat passengers, but it's nice to have some room to carry things that you don't want to toss in the bed, or a very occasional third person.

Someone who really needs both will have to go to Toyota or GM (unless they're willing to go full-size), but Ford must have estimated that market is small enough to sacrifice.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You are probably correct in your theory, Ford also produces a chassis/cab version of the S/Cab body, unsure if GM or Toyota offer this design.
This capability in body/cab design flexibility is something that the Asian truck manufacturers will never match the American's in (at least in what is available in our market).
My decision to buy a S/Cab is based on personal preference and practicality, the profile of the truck is better looking, I prefer a 6 foot bed and in the 20 years in which I owned my 2000 S/Cab the back of the cab was occupied by humans 5x at the most. More often than not, it held my personal crap and stuff, indeed I would have opted to delete the rear "seats" on my 2020, but that is not an option on the Lariat series.
About the only thing I am disappointed about is Ford's decision to install the 6 speaker sound system instead of the B&O setup which is included with the 501A package on S/Crews and not adjusting the price of the package accordingly.
This was not a deal-breaker for me at all, I expect to take delivery of my 2020 next week sometime.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Back in 1972, I worked for my Uncle who had a small contracting business as the designated 'gopher', I was a junior in high school.
My assigned vehicle was a '67 Chevy 3/4 ton stepside with an 8-foot bed, it was powered by a 327 with a compound 4 speed behind it.
It was the definitive work truck, no power steering or power brakes, no radio and no heater, I think it only had 1 sun visor.
I abused the bejeezus out of that poor thing, often hauling lumber and concrete dry mix well over its chassis rating, but it never whimpered nor faltered.
The 327 was a legendary motor, mind you that I am a Ford man, but I give credit when credit is due.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
You are probably correct in your theory, Ford also produces a chassis/cab version of the S/Cab body, unsure if GM or Toyota offer this design.
This capability in body/cab design flexibility is something that the Asian truck manufacturers will never match the American's in (at least in what is available in our market).
My decision to buy a S/Cab is based on personal preference and practicality, the profile of the truck is better looking, I prefer a 6 foot bed and in the 20 years in which I owned my 2000 S/Cab the back of the cab was occupied by humans 5x at the most. More often than not, it held my personal crap and stuff, indeed I would have opted to delete the rear "seats" on my 2020, but that is not an option on the Lariat series.
About the only thing I am disappointed about is Ford's decision to install the 6 speaker sound system instead of the B&O setup which is included with the 501A package on S/Crews and not adjusting the price of the package accordingly.
This was not a deal-breaker for me at all, I expect to take delivery of my 2020 next week sometime.
Absolutely. Of all the flexibility compared to the Asian models, the biggest is the ability to special order from the factory. Obviously you can't order a configuration they don't offer, like a S-Crew long bed Ranger, but it makes it so the fact that S-cabs are rare on dealer lots isn't a big problem if you're willing to wait out the two months or so. I assume GM also offers that as well, but we never got that far when we were comparing them.

On the Supercab, at least the XLT, the seat cushions are removable, though the seat backs are not. That's still pretty useful, though. It makes it a no-brainer to toss dirty stuff in the back seat area if it's raining without needing to put down towels or sheets.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
I will absolutely never ever buy a crew cab truck of any kind. I like that they give us a choice between the two options

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I think the proportions of the crew cab makes the truck look unbalanced and wonky. Just a slightly less wonky version of the Gladiator. Plus, a 5' bed is just too short for me. Since I rarely carry more than 1 passenger when using a truck, it just made sense to get the Super Cab (I still call it an extra cab). If we need to haul more than one person, then we have the SUV for that.

Red-2.jpg
Sponsored