velobluefx4az

velobluefx4az

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I came from a 2019 Frontier to a 2022 Ranger. Feels night and day different. The refresh of the Frontier looks nice, but the one I owned felt janky and low quality compared to the Ranger. I would certainly not go back that way again. In general I'd avoid Nissan like the plague these days. That aside that's a lot of wheels you're going through in a short amount of time even if it his a work-heavy related choice. I hope this last choice is the one you're happy with because if not its going to cost you in the end lol. Any reason you wouldn't work your way back to the F150 given it's the same manufacturer & you're familiar with it?
Ultimately it has to come down to size. I go across the country multiple times a year and sometimes the f-150 wouldn’t fit in garages of major cities I was living in due to width/turning radius and was forced to street park. It also wouldn’t fit on some off roading trails as well. The ranger you can just throw around everywhere and it is so easy to maneuver on and off road. I had the 5.0 and only got 17mpg on the highway (I usually put cruise at 82) and the ranger gets 20-23 depending on wind with a level.
Sponsored

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
For every complaint of the bed being too high there is apparently another that condemns the bed being too shallow. What is an auto maker to do ,lol.
I solved one of those problems and created the other at the same time.

I installed a Decked system.

OP
OP
velobluefx4az

velobluefx4az

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I think this is the first objective review I've read from an owner of the new Frontier. Interesting to see the list of quality issues. Welcome back to the Ranger family! I'm encouraged to read your opinion of it.
Considering no changes have been made from 21-23 rather than the deletion of auto stop start and the wifi hotspot, I’ll have the same impression I had before.

Nissan has great cabin space, better instrument layout, bed lighting with storage tracks, good ride, better tech with wireless charging and wireless Apple CarPlay, fender audio is good and you have a 360 camera even though it isn’t very good. The bad is the terrible turning radius, heavy steering feel, no telescoping wheel, seats aren’t as comfy as ranger, floor is pretty high, quality issues as listed before, doesn’t have lane keep assist only lane departure warning, rear seats are really upright, bed isn’t that deep, transmission is terrible on inclines and the stock pro-4x tires don’t grip as much as the fx4.

The ranger has the most comfortable midsize seats on the market, greater towing+hauling capabilities for both space and weight, better off road modes+ground clearance, liked the front and rear parking sensors with other safety features, feels much sportier, better fuel economy and never gave me any issues. The cons were the climate controls, oil drum sounding doors and wish the cabin was a bit larger like the frontier.

I did do my research before the whole purchase process but ultimately wanted to live with a different truck from a different brand but bit me in the butt. But luckily I have supplier discount through ford and got a great discount through the dealer so won’t be a loss.

For those interested as well as how I’ve gone through the trading process I’ll go over it here:
Chevy Colorado z71- bought for 31.7k in April of 2018, totaled it october 2021 and insurance gave me 37.6k due to the car market
F-150: Bought for 47k in October 2021 and sold it December 2021 for a straight trade on fully loaded ranger fx4 Lariat
Nissan frontier Pro-4x: Bough December 2022 with trade of 40 on ranger and msrp of 47 on pro-4x
New ranger: straight trade (maybe even money back if I keep below certain mileage) due to supplier discount and $1000 off due to custom ordering through this dealer.

Friday yet?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
I can't imagine owing at least 4 trucks since 2018.. with a fifth on the way. Personal opinion; research lowers buyers remorse, along with a healthy dose realistic expectations. I don't think the personal debt crisis which seems to be plaguing the US and Canada, would be the issue it is, if people followed the aforementioned and added a bit of personal restraint.

Frank
Well, seeing how I currently own a 10 year old Fusion Sport and a 9 year old Focus ST, think I'd have to agree with you. Research, research and then more research. Never regretted either purchase. Both absolutely trouble free btw. Kudos to Ford. But then again every single Ford I've ever owned has been trouble free.

Now if my Ranger will just get here......

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
I do all my research at TFL Trucks on you tube.

I avg 3 years in a vehicle.

Seriously though....I do so much research, I end up burned out and and walking away from whatever big puchase I'm considering for a month or more.

Re: Frontiers, I've had 4 between 2001 and 2007. Pre 2005 was the smaller gen. I Liked them. My o7, I drove for ten years, as my primary duty work truck when I was landscaping-lawn maintenace and small projects. Had an 04 ram for the big projects. Last Fronty was a '17 Pro 4x, and by far my fave. That was the one I traded for my Ranger. I have no complaints about any of them, loved them all.

I just didn't really like the look of the new Frontier (it has since grown on me), and their new pricing put them in leqgue with every one else.

My 17 was in the shop for repair after getting rear ended, and I had a Ranger as a rental. That's what got me shopping, but it still took me nearly 6 months to make a decision between the Ranger, the Frontier and the ZR2. Ultimately it was process of elimination. I felt the ZR2 was just too pricey, and really didn't like the bed style. The Frontier, I didn't like the look of the truck at the time. The Ranger was best looking, IMO, and it was best bang for the buck after considering price:build specs.

5thranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20ranger
Occupation
driver
Traded 2019 Frontier in on 2020Ranger Lariat FX4 my wife hated riding in the frontier because of the seats loves the ranger seats. The turning radius of the frontier was terrible and the 4.0 V-6 got poor mpg. No comparison

MT2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL STX 4X4, 2008 Mercury Mariner
Occupation
Manufacturing Tech
I am a huge car person and cars are my escape from my job and other stressors in life. All the trucks have been paid in cash. The reality is trucks hold their value really well and trading out is only about a 4K hit after a year which I’m fine with. To each their own I suppose
And over the past couple of years, losing 4k in a year hasn't happened.

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Well, seeing how I currently own a 10 year old Fusion Sport and a 9 year old Focus ST, think I'd have to agree with you. Research, research and then more research. Never regretted either purchase. Both absolutely trouble free btw. Kudos to Ford. But then again every single Ford I've ever owned has been trouble free.

Now if my Ranger will just get here......
Same here. I had one "problem child" 1999 Cougar but the other eight new Fords & Mercurys were/are trouble free*

*Well until now. My 2009 Mariner goes in for a suspected worn out CV joint 1/30.
138k mi.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
The only way I will trade in my Ranger, is for another Ranger, SCAB 4x4 next time.

If you turn your drawers inside out on Wednesday night, they will last even longer.
I've heard it said that you can wear them four times. Once normal, second backwards, then inside out to the front, then inside out to the rear.

But real men don't have to worry about any of that, just go commando.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
The only way I will trade in my Ranger, is for another Ranger, SCAB 4x4 next time.

I've heard it said that you can wear them four times. Once normal, second backwards, then inside out to the front, then inside out to the rear.

But real men don't have to worry about any of that, just go commando.
B5729BBC-644F-4F42-99A0-E3D2A32C63E1.jpeg

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
And embrace the aluminum doors.....
Are you special? You have aluminum doors? I thought it was just the hood and tailgate that were aluminum.
To verify this on my '21, I checked with a fridge magnet.
Tailgate - aluminum.
Bed - steel.
Cab - steel.
Doors - steel.
Front fenders - aluminum. (or plastic as some have suggested)
Hood. - aluminum.
Sponsored