If you are thinking about trading your ranger in, don't

velobluefx4az

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
This is my first post on any sort of forum so wanted it be of some value. You know the saying the grass isn't always greener on the other side? Trust me when I say that when it comes to the ranger. I had a 2021 lariat Fx4 in velocity blue I wasn't completely in love with. Something about paying 45k for a truck that sounded like an empty oil drum every time you shut the door, terrible climate control buttons and not the biggest center console along with terrible ride quality due to the fx4 shocks were my largest gripes.

Before this I had an F-150 lariat for a short amount of time that felt was much nicer and before that a 2018 z71 crew cab Colorado which was my first ever new car that I loved (except my water pump went out at 7k miles, transfer case output seal bust at 10k and had suspension problems at 60k miles-not to mention I had to put about 4k into the truck to make it look good and functional off-roading in AZ while not having the option for any safety features like the ranger). But back to my point-the ranger when I purchased it felt like I forced into buying it due to there being no inventory in the Phoenix area of December 2021.

I owned the Ranger for a year and managed to put about 20k miles on it (I travel a lot for work) and not once during the year did it give me an issue. Got about 21 MPG averaged between 70%hwy/30%city and being leveled 2 inch with a bedcover which I considered great cause I was used to 19 in the Colorado-but it had the worst front seat comfort known to man. So after owning a Colorado and now ranger, I decided to try something out-lets try a frontier. Found a fully loaded Pro-4X with leather seats/orange stitching, wireless CarPlay, wireless charger, and sunroof in the Baja storm metallic-that was the only spec id buy it in and I ultimately did. Thought I made a great decision- it wasn't.

Before I get into it I will give credit where credit is due. The Nissan rides really well on the bilsteins, the technology is pretty good, the space in the cabin is wider which is nice. However, it hasn't been all sunshine and rainbows. The driver seat is comfortable: the lower bolster jabs into your butt on the sides (im not a huge dude, 5'10 185), the tailgate decided to stop remote locking, the moonroof stopped working after about 5 uses, camera quality is shit although it is a 360 camera, the bed is very shallow-cant fit as much as ranger, and the transmission is terrible on steep inclines at low speeds (almost stalls out). Overall, after buying this brand new, it has been nearly 2 months and 1k miles, I decided to come back to the good side just because I rely on my vehicle heavily for work.

So, like any logical person, I put a custom order in for a 23 ranger fx4 Lariat in the same spec as my old one except in the hot pepper red metallic color(for those ordering or planning to- the window closes on January 26th and won't be able to get start/stop or 4g hotspot on the 23s). I will admit I am biased towards ford trucks-but in my experience they are much less of a headache than any other brand out there except for maybe 2020 and before Toyotas. Sure you might be thinking the 5g isn't super luxurious or you're missing out on some features or interior quality, but this truck is so mechanically sound from an engineering stand point and I believe is the most if not one of the most reliable vehicles on the road.

Looking forward to the 6G and will probably upgrade once the mid-cycle refresh comes out in about 4-5 years, just want all the new technology sorted out before purchasing. I know this is long but hopefully offers some insight on how special these vehicles out. If ya'll have any questions feel free to ask and I will try to respond in a timely manner!

Oh and if anyone wants my old truck and you're in the St. Louis area, here it is (just make sure to ask for a discount cause the seats are water stained from when me and 4 buddies got stuck in a monsoon): https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/vdp.action?listingId=346395882#listing=346395882

72AB9C59-EAC5-402B-A212-EE8223CA982A.jpeg
Sponsored

JoeDirt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
I fixed the oil drum doors by using dynamat. Filled every inch I could on the inside of the doors when I installed new speakers. Made a huge difference. I plan on keeping my 2021 until the raptor or a hybrid ranger drops.

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
I can't imagine owing at least 4 trucks since 2018.. with a fifth on the way. Personal opinion; research lowers buyers remorse, along with a healthy dose realistic expectations. I don't think the personal debt crisis which seems to be plaguing the US and Canada, would be the issue it is, if people followed the aforementioned and added a bit of personal restraint.

Frank

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Sorry, but I have no clue what your talking about.
I have a stock FX4, stock motor/trany/suspension.
Apart from the brake mis-installed from factory it's been flawless.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
To paraphrase Winston Churchill, "Ford vehicles are the worst in the world except for all the rest."

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I fixed the oil drum doors by using dynamat. Filled every inch I could on the inside of the doors when I installed new speakers. Made a huge difference. I plan on keeping my 2021 until the raptor or a hybrid ranger drops.
This makes a big difference.

Scottopia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '11 GMC Acadia, '03 HD VRod
Occupation
Grand Sovereign Monarch of Scottopia
Vehicle Showcase
Can’t imagine going through that many trucks, especially the dealers, in that short of time. I would lose my shit.

Glad you are back and welcome to the ??? family!

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Ford ASSET Instructor - Program Director
This makes a big difference.
Those that have done it, know!
Night and day difference.

I turned off the fake engine noise with FORScan and it's a delight how quiet it is now when going down the road.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Can’t imagine going through that many trucks, especially the dealers, in that short of time. I would lose my shit.

Glad you are back and welcome to the ??? family!
I usually trade my trucks in every 3 years. This guy changes trucks more than I change my underwear. lol :oops:?

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I usually trade my trucks in every 3 years. This guy changes trucks more than I change my underwear. lol :oops:?
If you turn your drawers inside out on Wednesday night, they will last even longer.