Differentials and Transfer Case Fluid Change

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
I did mine at 5k due to towing and the manual says to switch to a synthetic gear oil if towing under severe conditions. Probably not needed unless you really work the truck.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I did mine at 24,000 and have done quite a bit of off roading with it and they said it was nasty. Next time I think I'd change it out at 10,000.

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Mine was dark at 5k so I think that is normal? Every diff Iā€™ve drained (even at low mileage) came out dark, same for the Ranger.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I did mine at 24,000 and have done quite a bit of off roading with it and they said it was nasty. Next time I think I'd change it out at 10,000.
Get out a here...you don't drive enough to make it past 15K...give me a break...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

GTHAYS

First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX
Occupation
23 Years in Prison on the 8 hour installment plan. (Retired, intact)
I did all mine today as well @ 1200 miles.

I agree the magnets were full.

IMG_20190504_141449.jpg

Rear Diff - that is chunks and fine particals soaked in oil standing upright on top of the magnet. Drained oil was pretty dirty and some shiny stuff.
IMG_20190504_160151.jpg

Front Diff - wasn't too bad. Oil was still pretty clean.
IMG_20190504_153121.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the transfer case, it wasn't terrible, but the fluid was pretty dirty.

Wasn't a terrible job other than no drain pan I have will stretch between engine oil and oil filter drip locations. Had to get a small pan for filter ramp drain. Now that I know, should be easy. Filter was simple, no tire turn, removed by hand, just took top, forward 3 plastic screws off, and flap out of the way.

I think the capacity on the rear diff is spot on.
Front Diff took less than 1 qt, manual calls for 1 qt and 1.76 oz. or 33.76 oz. Didn't fit.
Transfer case / PTU or whatever Ford calls it, took more than the 23.7 oz, but I couldn't tell how much more, I think about exactly a quart give or take an ounce. I felt fluid near fill plug before draining, so I don't think it's partial fill scenario - maybe.
Screenshot_20190504-224641.png
I did all mine today as well @ 1200 miles.

I agree the magnets were full.

IMG_20190504_141449.jpg

Rear Diff - that is chunks and fine particals soaked in oil standing upright on top of the magnet. Drained oil was pretty dirty and some shiny stuff.
IMG_20190504_160151.jpg

Front Diff - wasn't too bad. Oil was still pretty clean.
IMG_20190504_153121.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the transfer case, it wasn't terrible, but the fluid was pretty dirty.

Wasn't a terrible job other than no drain pan I have will stretch between engine oil and oil filter drip locations. Had to get a small pan for filter ramp drain. Now that I know, should be easy. Filter was simple, no tire turn, removed by hand, just took top, forward 3 plastic screws off, and flap out of the way.

I think the capacity on the rear diff is spot on.
Front Diff took less than 1 qt, manual calls for 1 qt and 1.76 oz. or 33.76 oz. Didn't fit.
Transfer case / PTU or whatever Ford calls it, took more than the 23.7 oz, but I couldn't tell how much more, I think about exactly a quart give or take an ounce. I felt fluid near fill plug before draining, so I don't think it's partial fill scenario - maybe.
Screenshot_20190504-224641.png
Sir
Thank you for posting this with all the information in one place. I went under my truck today and actually dumped the fluids from both dif's and the TC. Your post helped me the most. The only thing I would add is the TC has Allen key bolts and I couldn't find my sockets. Used an Allen wrench(10 mm) and finished the job. The other posts with the torque and suggestions about Permatex helped a bunch as well. Rear at 12K is not as bad as the other posts but I am glad I did it. Front diff was looking like a pale ale but it's been replaced. TC wasn't bad either but I am glad I did it too. Again thank you for putting this information in one place.

Bravohook

First Name
Addame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Sheepdog
Just replaced my Front Diff and Transfer Case fluid. Front diff looked new, Transfer case was surprisingly dark for only 25k. Went to do the rear diff and bam mine does not have a drain plug. Wondered why my fill plug had a magnet on it. Guess a new diff cover in my future, was gonna get one anyways so this a perfect excuse to spend some more coin.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Just replaced my Front Diff and Transfer Case fluid. Front diff looked new, Transfer case was surprisingly dark for only 25k. Went to do the rear diff and bam mine does not have a drain plug. Wondered why my fill plug had a magnet on it. Guess a new diff cover in my future, was gonna get one anyways so this a perfect excuse to spend some more coin.
If you go to the Valvoline Qwicky Lube they can change it through the fill plug with their suction machine. In my previous Rangers and Sport Tracs that was the only way to do the front.

Sped68

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
First differential and transfer case oil change on my Ranger. Trucks at 58,000km or about 36,000miles. Rear diff oil was very dirty and had a decent buildup on the magnetic plug. Front diff was definitely cleaner but still worth changing, magnetic plug also had a decent amount of filings as well.
Transfer case oil was nasty! Very, very black. I can assume it started red but nowhere close now.
it was also a bit low from factory, not really a surprise at this point though.
Iā€™m guessing my transfer case has a bit of a tough life, with our roads in the winter it gets switched a lot from 2wd to 4wd and back, on a regular basis at speed.
seeing what a saw today Iā€™m already planning on a rear diff and transfer case oil change next spring.
Did an oil change as well to complete the oil service. Iā€™d like to thank the Ford service tech for tightening the hell out of my oil filter on the last change, had some fun getting that off.
I think I need to find a suitable oil filter tool for this truck going forward.

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 2014 Ford Fusion
Just changed my TC fluid. I needed to put in about 1.4 quarts to fill up but manual says it should be around .7!?

Anyone else notice this? Can you "overfill" the TC? I just filled it until it came out the fill plug. Tourqed down the old plugs with nothing on them.

I'm 40k miles, don't offroad much, not sure about previous owner. My fluid came out pretty dark.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just changed my TC fluid. I needed to put in about 1.4 quarts to fill up but manual says it should be around .7!?

Anyone else notice this? Can you "overfill" the TC? I just filled it until it came out the fill plug. Tourqed down the old plugs with nothing on them.

I'm 40k miles, don't offroad much, not sure about previous owner. My fluid came out pretty dark.
You can't over fill as excess will come out the in hole...I wrap teflon tape around the plug before bolting them back on...wrench hand tight to not strip the aluminum threads...
Sponsored