Differentials and Transfer Case Fluid Change

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Changed oil in both front and rear differentials and transfer case at 1000 miles.

All three as expected had normal levels of metal collected on the drain magnet as well as some metallic shimmer to the oil itself.

Replaced differential oil with 75w-90 Amsoil gear oil.

Replaced transfer case fluid with Amsoil transmission fluid compatible with Mercon LV fluid. Factory fill was 7oz lower than required fill level.

8C98B5D8-8FC4-495B-ADFB-B71C6128DAE8.jpeg
Sponsored

mstealth22

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I did all mine today as well @ 1200 miles.

I agree the magnets were full.

IMG_20190504_141449.jpg

Rear Diff - that is chunks and fine particals soaked in oil standing upright on top of the magnet. Drained oil was pretty dirty and some shiny stuff.
IMG_20190504_160151.jpg

Front Diff - wasn't too bad. Oil was still pretty clean.
IMG_20190504_153121.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the transfer case, it wasn't terrible, but the fluid was pretty dirty.

Wasn't a terrible job other than no drain pan I have will stretch between engine oil and oil filter drip locations. Had to get a small pan for filter ramp drain. Now that I know, should be easy. Filter was simple, no tire turn, removed by hand, just took top, forward 3 plastic screws off, and flap out of the way.

I think the capacity on the rear diff is spot on.
Front Diff took less than 1 qt, manual calls for 1 qt and 1.76 oz. or 33.76 oz. Didn't fit.
Transfer case / PTU or whatever Ford calls it, took more than the 23.7 oz, but I couldn't tell how much more, I think about exactly a quart give or take an ounce. I felt fluid near fill plug before draining, so I don't think it's partial fill scenario - maybe.
Screenshot_20190504-224641.png

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Bumping this. I am looking to do the same.

Does anyone have the fluid requirements ? IE , not capacities but fluid specifications.

Gl4, gl5, 75w90, etc?

Much appreciated.

Inb4 read the owners manual.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand at all why this is necessary, aside from a fluid "upgrade"

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
As someone who has run in many motors, transmissions and rear ends in multiple applications , whenever you have two new metal surfaces making contact you will have initial wearin and metal dispersal into the fluid and onto the magnet.

I always feel changing these fluids, and clearing those magnets allows them to do the job of capturing normal wear and tear particulars vs the initial heavier wear in metal that you see in this thread.

It's definitely optional and not required but I am still looking for those fluid specifications if anyone has, much appreciated.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who has run in many motors, transmissions and rear ends in multiple applications , whenever you have two new metal surfaces making contact you will have initial wearin and metal dispersal into the fluid and onto the magnet.

I always feel changing these fluids, and clearing those magnets allows them to do the job of capturing normal wear and tear particulars vs the initial heavier wear in metal that you see in this thread.

It's definitely optional and not required but I am still looking for those fluid specifications if anyone has, much appreciated.
Hey so how long would you recommend changing the fluids initially then? Thx

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Woah that collected quite a bit of metal.
I was inspired by this post to replace the rear diff fluid with Redline 75W-90. I am only at 600 miles but it collected quite a bit of metal as well. I feel like the rear end is quieter but it could be my imagination. I didnt do the front diff or transfer case as i havent even used 4WD yet and assumed maybe there wouldnt be any metal collected yet?

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4121.jpg

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Yea, I was surprised when i had to go buy another bottle of D6.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Changed oil in both front and rear differentials and transfer case at 1000 miles.

All three as expected had normal levels of metal collected on the drain magnet as well as some metallic shimmer to the oil itself.

Replaced differential oil with 75w-90 Amsoil gear oil.

Replaced transfer case fluid with Amsoil transmission fluid compatible with Mercon LV fluid. Factory fill was 7oz lower than required fill level.

8C98B5D8-8FC4-495B-ADFB-B71C6128DAE8.jpeg
Hey Andy,

How come you did the 75w-90 Amsoil Gear oil vs the ford recommended 80w-90 amsoil?

Thanks

DMAX

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Gotya. Thanks. One more question. The manuals say to throw away drain and fill plugs on the axles after replacing fluid. Is that right? Feel like you can reseal them no?
Redline says the 75w-90 is a direct replacement for any diff requiring 80w-90.
1D245398-B780-4852-92E9-88FC9563E8F3.png

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have the directions and specs for changing out the transfer case fluid. Got the front end rear axles PDFs but not transfer case. Thx.
Sponsored