TSB: 19-2052 - 2019 Ranger - Engine Cold Start Runs Rough / Rough Shifting Transmission

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Update. My dealer ran (and is sending me) a copy of my vehicle's Oasis report. I hope that this would show whether my vehicle would need this PCM flash or not. p.s. my pickup was built on January 15th.
What is an Oasis report?
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
It's a report that Ford dealers can run detailing warranty work that has been done on a vehicle. I would HOPE this would tell if the update was needed, as my pickup was built before Feb 11. Any thoughts? Do all Rangers before Feb 11th need this?
20190711_153853.jpg
If it bugs you it's worth doing. Is your dealership saying they won't do it?

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I think there's a lot of confusion between a recall vs TSB, even the dealers usually don't know what they're talking about. I called up my closest dealer and asked their service dept whether they could perform the transmission TSB to my truck. The following is the quick convo:

"Hi, there's a TSB for the Ranger transmissions. When can I drop it off to get my Ranger serviced?"
"What's your VIN? All recalls are VIN specific."
"Well I can get you my VIN, but it's a TSB so it shouldn't be VIN specific. It says right here that it eligibility depends on build date."
"Sir, all recalls and TSBs are VIN specific. Please give me your VIN."
"A TSB is not a recall. Can you look up the TSB number so you know what I'm referring to? It's TSB-19-2052-2019"
"Sir, I need your VIN. I can't do anything without your VIN."
"Fine, my VIN is 1FTXXXXXX"
"You do not have any recalls or TSBs to your vehicle. You do not need any service at this time."

At this point I hung up and rolled my eyes at their stupidity. Went to another dealer and they were very helpful and understood what I was talking about as soon as I gave them the TSB number. Don't get bogged down by stupid dealer employees!

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Made an appt for next Wednesday for this issue. Forgot that my first oil change is free, so letting them do that as well (hope they do full synthetic free for the first one, because if not, I'll do it myself).

Fordguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Fixed operation Director Tuttle Click Automotive
Vehicle Showcase
Made an appt for next Wednesday for this issue. Forgot that my first oil change is free, so letting them do that as well (hope they do full synthetic free for the first one, because if not, I'll do it myself).
You won't get full syn for free, but just pay the difference between the two.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
You won't get full syn for free, but just pay the difference between the two.
Gotcha, may just do it myself in that case since I already have the filter, oil and Fumoto ready to go.

Fordguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Fixed operation Director Tuttle Click Automotive
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha, may just do it myself in that case since I already have the filter, oil and Fumoto ready to go.[/QUOTE

Honestly, take advantage of your first free service. Besides the free $40.00, it can be helpful to have this on record.

newmantjn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer
Doug;
Here's the thing: If your the PCM flash was to bring a vehicle up to a certain level, but your vehicle was already built at that level, the TSB won't apply. That is why it is VIN specific.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Doug;
Here's the thing: If your the PCM flash was to bring a vehicle up to a certain level, but your vehicle was already built at that level, the TSB won't apply. That is why it is VIN specific.
I beg to differ. TCB's are not VIN specific because it is a recommended procedure for the dealer to follow on common complaints if the vehicle shows described symptoms. Sometimes, there will be other eligibility restraints associated with the TSB, but not always.

For the case of this transmission and cold idle TSB, there was a build date eligibility restraint (before 2/11/19). My build date was in December and my vehicle showed the described symptoms; therefore, I knew I needed the TSB and that I was eligible. The TSB did not show up during a VIN search because this is a TSB and not a recall. Recalls are much more severe and the manufacturer pinpoints exactly which vehicles are affected, hence the VIN.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I have a February Build, but how do I determine the build date? I checked all my paperwork and short of calling the dealer to check for me...is there a way I can determine if my build was after 2/11/19...I suspect it is as I do not have any severe symptoms as described in the TSB... I tried my contacts inside the company but they were not able to help me.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I have a February Build, but how do I determine the build date? I checked all my paperwork and short of calling the dealer to check for me...is there a way I can determine if my build was after 2/11/19...I suspect it is as I do not have any severe symptoms as described in the TSB... I tried my contacts inside the company but they were not able to help me.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Do you have access to your window sticker? It’s on the very top in the middle, it looks like 320190101, which is 01/01/2019.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have access to your window sticker? It’s on the very top in the middle, it looks like 320190101, which is 01/01/2019.
Darn..did not get the Maroney label just the dealer invoice as it was a Z plan sale.

Best,
Phil Achilles
Ford Motor Company Retired

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase