TSB: 19-2052 - 2019 Ranger - Engine Cold Start Runs Rough / Rough Shifting Transmission

19SilverRanger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 Ford Mustang GT
TSB: 19-2052 - 2019 Ranger - Engine Cold Start Runs Rough / Rough Shifting Transmission

Some 2019 Ranger vehicles built on or before 11-Feb-2019 may exhibit a rough, excessive fast idle and/or a rough shifting transmission condition when the engine is cold. This may be due to the powertrain control module (PCM) software parameters including cold start and warm-up drivability, idle speed control, and fuel injection delivery strategies. To resolve the condition, update the PCM software.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2019 TRUCK: FG P375N RANGER

19-2052.JPG
Anyone experiencing this issue with trucks built after this date?

I notice a vibration only when starting out and under 10 mph.
Sponsored

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase

Mine was built before the date and my dealer did the re-program and said about 109 updates to install. took 45 minutes. maybe just take yours to your dealer and see what they say, they might take care of it too depending on the relationship you have with them. I'm from a small town and they take great care of those of us that buy local.

One Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
family fleet of 4
Took my Ranger to the dealer this morning to get the rough shift TSB done. Had a 7:15 appointment with dealer A where I bought it. They said they had to keep it all day since the engine was hot. I told them I would go find a competent dealer and left. I went to Dealer B and they got me right in, the Service Adviser went on a drive with me, wrote it up, and took it back to the technician for the update. About an hour later I was driving it home. Needless to say, Dealer B is now my preferred service dealer.

I only have around 25 miles on it so far, but it does seem like the 10-20 MPH shifting is much better now.

19SilverRanger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took my Ranger to the dealer this morning to get the rough shift TSB done. Had a 7:15 appointment with dealer A where I bought it. They said they had to keep it all day since the engine was hot. I told them I would go find a competent dealer and left. I went to Dealer B and they got me right in, the Service Adviser went on a drive with me, wrote it up, and took it back to the technician for the update. About an hour later I was driving it home. Needless to say, Dealer B is now my preferred service dealer.

I only have around 25 miles on it so far, but it does seem like the 10-20 MPH shifting is much better now.
Was yours built after the February 11th date in the TSB?

Last edited:

One Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
family fleet of 4
Was yours built after the February 11th date in the TSB?
Mine was built on 1/28/2019

I have about 700 miles on it total, and about 30 on it today after the TCM update. Seems to have helped the low speed shifting vibration.

Last edited:

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just dropped mine off this morning, 1024 miles, build day of 01/30/2019. I'll update once I pick her up at lunch!

EDIT: Picked her up and it may be all in my head, but it definitely feels like some of the roughness in shifting has been smoothed out. No reason not to do this TSB I guess...

Last edited:

Grumpy Old Guys Ranger

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew Oxford white
Occupation
Retired
Just had mine done, makes a huge difference, same thing the dealer asked for the TSB# which I found kinda funny and sad.

mstealth22

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like mine has rough idle, and rough shiffts below 20~ mph. It's not terrible, but it does it, and inconsistently. Rougher idle seems worse cold but still there occasionally warm.

My build date is 18.02.2019. So this tsb doesn't seem to apply. Going to give it till 1500 miles and take it in to dealer if not dramatically improved.

Claudess

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford

@19SilverRanger did you ever solve this?

Mine when I back out of the garage idles slow and rough and vibrates/shudders. Built in mid April. It’s like they keep the idle too low when cold.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat

Mine when I back out of the garage idles slow and rough and vibrates/shudders. Built in mid April. It’s like they keep the idle too low when cold.
@19SilverRanger , I have exact same behavior. If I let it warm a little, it's is not as bad (however still there) but if I start and then back up immediately, it shudders badly...almost like it is trying to stall. My build date is also in mid-April.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Just had mine done, makes a huge difference, same thing the dealer asked for the TSB# which I found kinda funny and sad.
@Grumpy Old Guys Ranger , when was yours built? Did the TSB truly apply (date-wise), or was your build date after the TSB range but you convinced the dealer to do it anyway?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

The fan lock up is called morning sickness. I have this on my Ranger too. I agree it needs to be fixed as it is very objectionable.
Root cause is the viscous fluid drains to the bottom of the clutch and locks it up. The fluid will eventually redistribute to the correct chamber and the fan will start to freewheel....This condition is calibratable and needs to be fixed in my opinion

Best,
Phil Schike
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Grumpy Old Guys Ranger

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew Oxford white
Occupation
Retired
@Grumpy Old Guys Ranger , when was yours built? Did the TSB truly apply (date-wise), or was your build date after the TSB range but you convinced the dealer to do it anyway?
I took possession 15 Feb 2019, presented the TSB to the dealership and they confirmed my truck was one of the ones meeting the requirements. Not sure exactly when it was built.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I took possession 15 Feb 2019, presented the TSB to the dealership and they confirmed my truck was one of the ones meeting the requirements. Not sure exactly when it was built.
The blend date of the truck is on the sticker on the drivers door jamb near the bottom. That will tell you when it was built.

19SilverRanger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

No solution yet. Have started getting use to it. My truck was built after the TSB date.
Sponsored