TSB 20-2339 Vehicle Buck/Surge During Low Speed Operation And/Or Engine Runs Rough After Cold Start

Jfleming

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4wd Supercab, 1996 Ranger XLT 2WD
Occupation
Fireman
TSB 20-2339

Sept 24, 2020

Issue: Some 2019 Ranger vehicles may exhibit a vehicle buck/surge during low speed operation and/or an engine that runs rough after cold start. This may be due to various software parameters within the powertrain control module (PCM). To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram the PCM.
Sponsored

Attachments

DsDad

First Name
DsDad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SC Oxford White
The dealer performed the TSB PCM update at my request, though they claimed they couldn't reproduce the issue. How did I know? Shifts were initially erratic as the truck "relearned" my driving style.. The truck no longer idles like a diesel tractor after cold start. Very smooth, no surging between gears, perhaps slightly better gas mileage. I recommend pushing for this TSB of you have cold start rough idle and surging between shifts. My perfectly sized truck now runs perfectly, as well.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Kind of a dumb question but.... i have the same issue and it's never bothered me, but if there is a 'fix' for it, does the TSB include 2020? Because it says one of the parameters is 2019... wondering if they just havent updated it.

RangerRick15

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Operations
Kind of a dumb question but.... i have the same issue and it's never bothered me, but if there is a 'fix' for it, does the TSB include 2020? Because it says one of the parameters is 2019... wondering if they just havent updated it.
I have 11,000 miles on my 2020 truck and it just started doing this when the temps got below 30’s this winter. Pretty bad - I agree with the description: it felt like I got rear ended a few of the times. Others, it’s just a bit clunky, until it warms up. (Kinda like a Tacoma shifts normally).

I printed off the TSB and it’s currently in the shop for a number of issues, including the back seat seat-back being hard to latch / unlatch (a 2019 TSB for that), and also the back-seat arm rest center console cannot fold out when the seat back is latched (possibly so tight it’s deforming the seat back). And I have a few other issues. I have some other issues with possibly the BCM - affecting several systems

why say all this? Because mine is a 2020 XLT SuperCrew with 2019 problems.

Ill update after I get it back, but it’s been a week in service and I have no updates (except they haven’t touched it yet…)

Edit / update - they replaced the battery, and found the TCU (Telematics) to be bad, parts on order.

Last edited:

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I have 11,000 miles on my 2020 truck and it just started doing this when the temps got below 30’s this winter. Pretty bad - I agree with the description: it felt like I got rear ended a few of the times. Others, it’s just a bit clunky, until it warms up. (Kinda like a Tacoma shifts normally).

I printed off the TSB and it’s currently in the shop for a number of issues, including the back seat seat-back being hard to latch / unlatch (a 2019 TSB for that), and also the back-seat arm rest center console cannot fold out when the seat back is latched (possibly so tight it’s deforming the seat back). And I have a few other issues. I have some other issues with possibly the BCM - affecting several systems

why say all this? Because mine is a 2020 XLT SuperCrew with 2019 problems.

Ill update after I get it back, but it’s been a week in service and I have no updates (except they haven’t touched it yet…)
Haha i have that issue with the backseat too, thought it was normal. Might as well haven fix that if its a tsb as well. I have to literally slam that shit to have it relatch.
Sponsored