Rough Shifting

David J Appel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Just wanted to say I brought my 2019 Ranger XLT in about a month ago for jumpy/rough shifting from 3rd to 4th on a cold start. My truck was built after the TSB recommended PCM update. They told me nothing was wrong. I'm still experiencing this rough shifting from 3rd to 4th but only on a cold start. Seems fine after that first acceleration. I now have a case number with Ford and will bring it in a second time. Something is not right with transmission. Let's see what they say. Also, I swear my rear view mirror slowly drops over time. Comments for either issue?

Cheers

David
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
If it is cold in the morning (it ONLY happens when it is cold - < 35 degrees or so - and I park my truck outside), sometimes I will get one somewhat hard shift when starting out from my driveway. It is only ONE that seems to be a problem - it could be first to second (or third) or third to fourth, and it doesn't always happen. I'm not worried about it - I just assumed it was due to being cold. As I said, it is definitely not consistent and only happens when cold.

As for the rear view mirror - I've never had any trouble with mine slipping.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I had the rough 3-4 shift when the ENGINE was cold, not the ambient temperature. However, it never happened after the first time it did it each time. I had the transmission software update completed (mine was manufactured before the build date) and that fixed the issue...mostly. Every once and a while, it comes back out of the blue, though. However, it still only occurs when the engine is cold and only one time.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had the rough 3-4 shift when the ENGINE was cold, not the ambient temperature. However, it never happened after the first time it did it each time. I had the transmission software update completed (mine was manufactured before the build date) and that fixed the issue...mostly. Every once and a while, it comes back out of the blue, though. However, it still only occurs when the engine is cold and only one time.
Hi Jason,

I had the TSB update too, and the trans works just fine, no rough shifts, but when it is a cold start (even in 100° plus) the engine runs rough as I back it out of the Garage. It cleans up by the time I get to the end of the block, about ¼ mile to the stop sign.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retried

OP
OP

David J Appel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I live in southern CA so a cold start for me is 95 degrees. Think I’m going to hit it hard out of work instead of trying to be smooth on acceleration. These new cars are way to computerized. I kinda miss a 5 speed transmission. The truck is sexy though.

OP
OP

David J Appel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Are you bringing it in?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I just figure it is like all of my Ford's have been - kind of cold blooded.... :giggle:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just figure it is like all of my Ford's have been - kind of cold blooded.... :giggle:
Hi Rob,

Okay...another back story. In Bemidji Minnesota. Temp is -40° F. We have to do an unassisted cold start. Motor on the Ranger does a arrrrr......arrrrr....arrrrr, Pop. Arrr. Arrr...Pop ( okay first fire) we are freezing our ass off....finally the motor starts. First start out of the blocks in the test procedure after the instrumentation is disconnected is to accelerate to 20 mph. Let out the clutch...the vehicle is not rolling. We have two Rangers in this test. Both having difficulty. Assessing the non movement, we determine that vehicles are frozen in place and cannot gain enough power to break loose. So we take our support vehicle, a 1981 Bronco to spank each vehicle in the ass to break it loose so we could do our accels out of the test area to start the driveablility testing. I have never been so cold in my life... And so another saga of the ill fated 2.0L Ranger. The program from hell!

Best,
Phil Schlke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I have never been so cold in my life... And so another saga of the ill fated 2.0L Ranger. The program from hell!

Best,
Phil Schlke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
We had -20 a few days last winter here in the Med City, and my old '09 Ranger sitting outside all day at work, and heading home, it rode like an old stiff lumber truck, cluch was stiff too!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We had -20 a few days last winter here in the Med City, and my old '09 Ranger sitting outside all day at work, and heading home, it rode like an old stiff lumber truck, cluch was stiff too!
Hi,

Did you have block heaters and had it plug in? We learned very quickly after our extension cord was stolen to park the Bronco, plug in and then roll the front tire over the cord to keep it from being stolen..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Hi,

Did you have block heaters and had it plug in? We learned very quickly after our extension cord was stolen to park the Bronco, plug in and then roll the front tire over the cord to keep it from being stolen..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Nope, didn't use it.. And kinda hard to find a place to plug it in at work! LOL
Sponsored