Advertisement

TSB 20-2339 Vehicle Buck/Surge During Low Speed Operation And/Or Engine Runs Rough After Cold Start

GregM

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired
I've got a 2020 Ranger with a surge at slow speed after start up. To me, it almost feels like the motor is starved for fuel for a quick second and then stutters for just a moment before lurching forward. Is this similar to what you guys are experiencing? The TSB only covers 2019 models. Wondering if anyone else with a 2020 is having this issue. Thanks
I am starting to notice this characteristic now that it is getting colder temperatures in this region.
Not to concerned. I have been letting it warm up a little longer than usual.
Loving my Ranger :like:

Advertisement

awelzel

First Name
Andrew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A Supercrew in Black with FX4 / Sports Package
Vehicle Showcase
I did not have positive results from this.

I had this done a couple weeks ago, but was not able to test the truck out in colder weather until yesterday and today.

This only occurs to my truck during colder weather from startup and no warm up, or after sitting in heavy traffic for some time and then having to accelerate. (Rarely occurs during warmer times of the year)

It was finally cold in Mass the past two days and the bucking/surge came back right after a cold start and having to accelerate. I will say both yesterday and today the bucks/surge were not as bad as it was before though.

I haven't driven in the god-awful Boston traffic in months and probably won’t have to for a while so won't be able to test that out until next year.

Oh well, back to warming up the truck with remote start before leaving.

2.7EcoBoost

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I wonder if they can charge Ford for the "diagnostic time" in addition to the .4 hours of labor.
Unless something changed, no. The TSB should show up when the tech runs the data base with customer concern categories. That's why it makes no sense for these dealers to even throw the old "we can't verify it, or it's normal". Just hook up the scan tool, check for a later calibration. If the calibration is there, reprogram per TSB, get your .4 hours and at the very least let the customer know you tried what Ford said would work. Most people are going to at least appreciate that you did something. If there's not a later calibration, you simply say "road test, could not verify the concern, used (whatever scan tool) to check for codes, none present. There are labor times for that also, so they still don't lose money. Used to be you could "road test and monitor PIDS" which was like .3 hours on top of the rest of your diag. These dealers, the techs, service writers and/or service managers are pathetic. I have already had 2 dealers tell me the surge is normal, the 10 speed gets "confused" etc. My ongoing vibration ( which is not severe, but it is there ) was confirmed by one dealer and then considered "normal" after they balanced the tires and they didn't fix it. My latest dealer is telling me " yeah, we have seen that in all or most of the Rangers ". Which according to him makes it "normal" or "acceptable" or not worth trying to fix. Apparently if every Ranger had a check engine light on, it would make it normal too. I don't understand the mentality of these places. I really like this truck, and I have been a very loyal Ford guy, but we canceled our Bronco reservation because I can't find a competent dealer/ service department. I plan to keep the Ranger 4 more years, but unless something changes I'll be buying another brand (new) for only the 3rd time in my life.

Dan Kobler

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT SuperCrew 302A 4x4
I didn't not have any luck with this TSB. I will probably bring it back in next week sometime and hopefully they can do something. I have had this issue since I got my truck in March of 2019. I have brought it in several times and none of the TSB's have helped :(

2.7EcoBoost

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Dealer did do the flash on mine and I have not noticed my minor surging on cold mornings like previously. I mainly noticed it on a short loop taking my kids to school and that loop is no longer in my routine, so I can't say 110% for sure it eliminated the issue, but I do believe it did. I did get a few nasty, low speed down shifts until my truck relearned me.

bloosh

First Name
Braelin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I tried to get this done for my truck today. They kept it overnight and said they couldn't reproduce it so they couldn't apply it (which is hard for me to believe). They also told me my PCM was already up to date. Is it likely that it would have already been done?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to get this done for my truck today. They kept it overnight and said they couldn't reproduce it so they couldn't apply it (which is hard for me to believe). They also told me my PCM was already up to date. Is it likely that it would have already been done?
Hi Braelin,

Find another dealer. I had this done at my local dealer who kept the truck for 2 days on something that only pays 0.4 hours. They performed the TSB and I now drive a different truck...amazing the improvement...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Glocker

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT P-1SC-1 Stage II, 2013 Ford Escape SEL
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking about getting this done. Sometimes after sitting for a couple days, If I go to move the truck, it seems to bog driving up the hill in front of my house. But it gets better as the truck warms up.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape SEL 1.5L 4wd; 2009 Mercury Mariner Base 3.0 V6 awd: 2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 1980 Kawasaki: KZ 750E
I'm thinking about getting this done. Sometimes after sitting for a couple days, If I go to move the truck, it seems to bog driving up the hill in front of my house. But it gets better as the truck warms up.
Sounds like me
images.jpeg

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Took my 2019 in to the dealership to have them see if there's any correctable issues causing the rough/jerky 3-4 shift on cold starts. I suggested this TSB as possibly being the solution. They wanted to keep the truck a couple days so they could verify the problem, then apply the TSB and verify that it solved it. Update on day 1 was that they couldn't reproduce the issue and they were going to try again on the following (cold) morning. Service advisor was out on day 2, but got an e-mail update first thing this morning (day 3) saying that the TSB has been applied and they can't duplicate any further jerky sensations. Going to go pick up the truck shortly, so we'll see if this actually improved the shifting. Regardless, I feel better knowing the software is up-to-date and appreciate the dealership for taking my drive-quality concern seriously.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RWD XLT
Occupation
We Wo We Wo We Wo
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry it has not been corrected for some of you.

It has been in the 30's here in GA and I still have not had this problem since I took it in for the TSB. Also not sure why some of the dealerships are giving push-back. It is literally a 15 minute appointment. I went into my service department with the TSB printout, said "I want this done" handed it to them, they set a time/date, came in, done.

It costs them zero money outside of a small window of time/labor. They literally lost more money driving your truck to try and re-produce the problem than just doing the flash. On second thought, their "reproduction" steps probably involved driving it around the parking lot one time.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement