Has anyone done a complete 2019 Ranger oil/filter change by themselves yet?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The Wayne Michigan assembly gorillas add true meaning to the words factory tight.:devil:

I put an FL-400S so there's 2 more inches sticking out for me to grip this time, that and I'm not a factory gorilla, so tight means something different to me :)
Sponsored

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I put an FL-400S so there's 2 more inches sticking out for me to grip this time, that and I'm not a factory gorilla, so tight means something different to me :)
I have been wondering about this. I use FL 400-S on my Fusion that calls for the 910-S. Was hoping that it would work on the Ranger too, but was a little worried about room.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have been wondering about this. I use FL 400-S on my Fusion that calls for the 910-S. Was hoping that it would work on the Ranger too, but was a little worried about room.
Can confirm, no space issue. Doesn't even rub on the inner fender (even if it did there would be some "give" and it would still work)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can confirm, no space issue. Doesn't even rub on the inner fender (even if it did there would be some "give" and it would still work)
I have a few FL-400S left over from the Focus, and I've been acquiring some M1-212's with my oil for the past few months, so I should be good for filters for the next few changes :)

I like the extended filter because it has more media to catch "stuff" and it adds a few more usable ounces of oil (every little bit counts).

M1-212 is for my Edge, I apparently need to pay better attention.

Last edited:

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
So you guys have been using the FL-400S? I was going to order that but Amazon says "This will not fit your your 2019 Ranger". I'd much rather get the slightly bigger filter.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you guys have been using the FL-400S? I was going to order that but Amazon says "This will not fit your your 2019 Ranger". I'd much rather get the slightly bigger filter.

It's not listed as fitting, but it definitely fits. I've had mine in for 5K miles now, and it's completely fine. Also run the M1-212A which is basically the same thing.

Ignore me, the 212A does not fit, and I cannot be trusted for advise in the future.

Last edited:

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
It's not listed as fitting, but it definitely fits. I've had mine in for 5K miles now, and it's completely fine. Also run the M1-212A which is basically the same thing.
Thanks much. Ordered!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The Wayne Michigan assembly gorillas add true meaning to the words factory tight.:devil:
I believe the oil filter is PIA the engine. Blame the Cleveland Engine plant Gorillas... PIA means Purchased In Assemble..in other words, the filter is on the engine when it arrives at Michigan Truck Assembly Plant in Wayne Mi.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe the oil filter is PIA the engine. Blame the Cleveland Engine plant Gorillas... PIA means Purchased In Assemble..in other words, the filter is on the engine when it arrives at Michigan Truck Assembly Plant in Wayne Mi.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Either way, there's some Gorilla's tightening filters at some ford plant somewhere :)

Ranger #6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 2012 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had similar issue with RAV4 filter years back. I now let the engine run for a little bit before trying to remove the filter. I attempt to loosen the filter prior to draining the oil. That way, if I have to drive to a quick-lube place to get them to loosen the filter (they did it for free the one time this happened), at least I will be driving there and back to the house on old oil.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had similar issue with RAV4 filter years back. I now let the engine run for a little bit before trying to remove the filter. I attempt to loosen the filter prior to draining the oil. That way, if I have to drive to a quick-lube place to get them to loosen the filter (they did it for free the one time this happened), at least I will be driving there and back to the house on old oil.
I'll likely buy a filter wrench the right size because I can barely reach it with my short arms. That said, someone could get "creative" with a pair of channel locks and have it off in no time.

Ranger #6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 2012 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'll likely buy a filter wrench the right size because I can barely reach it with my short arms. That said, someone could get "creative" with a pair of channel locks and have it off in no time.
Or pound a large screwdriver through the middle of it from above (not sure if feasible) as close to the filter boss as possible and loosen it that way; take the wheel off to improve leverage. This is all notional since I haven't poked around in there yet.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Channel locks work. Source: don't worry about it.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Do you guys access the filter through the driver fender lining or from bottom of engine?

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Do you guys access the filter through the driver fender lining or from bottom of engine?
Through the fender. It's not nearly the big deal the Toyota-sponsored media made it out to be.
Sponsored