Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yep! Hopefully tomorrow!:clap:
Hi Tracy,

I hope the dealer determined root cause of the failure. Just replacing parts without understanding why the old part went bad just kicks the can down the road...does not fix the problem... I fear the part changing mentality was there when there needs to be a plausible explanation of both modules failing...

At least it is not related to crooked parking, eh? :)

Best,
Phil

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I agree with Phil, just replacing parts is nice but you really want to know why it failed.
Hope it all works out for you.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Tracy,

I hope the dealer determined root cause of the failure. Just replacing parts without understanding why the old part went bad just kicks the can down the road...does not fix the problem... I fear the part changing mentality was there when there needs to be a plausible explanation of both modules failing...

Best,
Phil
That's why I always believed in the ASE certification Phil. The study guides explained the root cause, the why and why nots.
Any C tech can throw parts at it.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Hi Tracy,

Best,
Phil
And this is why I have the service and electrical manuals for all my cars, and now truck (well once it's delivered). I can pre-diagnose issues and the tech at the garage is use to me bringing my ideas and reasoning to the advisor up front. If I can pretest and roll in with a lazer pointing on a found issue it saves him time.

Ranger manuals were scheduled to be delivered today, but last scan was at ~06:00 yesterday in Perrysburg, OH. ?

Multiple things can cause multiple modules to fail. Dirty power (alternator, battery or connection) can do it fast. I've seen a tech (the managers son-in-law) destroy a PCM in a VW while replacing the battery because he didn't follow procedures that included using a power maintainer box. Car had an alarm and he was connected the Neg term and would disconnect as soon as the alarm would make noise. He did this about 5-6 times before I could get from the counter helping a customer to the garage and stop him, but it was too late.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Tracy Bowman

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Hi all, Butterscotch was picked up early yesterday morning. Iā€˜ve been sick , so still havenā€™t driven it yet, but husband says everything is good. @P. A. Schilke, @CB750F, @Toytec, @ControlNode, husband is going to send the HCU in to Ford and try to find out what happened. He will let them know about the PCM also, but the dealership kept that since it was a warranty part.

OP
OP
Tracy Bowman

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to hear Butterscotch is home and safe. Hopefully this is the end to your problem and it's smooth sailing for years to come. :like:
I expect it will be. Learned my lesson about extended warranties though. :facepalm: :)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I expect it will be. Learned my lesson about extended warranties though. :facepalm: :)
I have to make that decision myself by July. More than likely I'm going to keep my Ranger longer than I usually do so I'll probably get an extended warranty. Just not sure for how long just yet.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Hi all, Butterscotch was picked up early yesterday morning. Iā€˜ve been sick , so still havenā€™t driven it yet, but husband says everything is good. @P. A. Schilke, @CB750F, @Toytec, @ControlNode, husband is going to send the HCU in to Ford and try to find out what happened. He will let them know about the PCM also, but the dealership kept that since it was a warranty part.
Glad to hear you'll be back in BS again soon, and good of hubby to get keep the BS moving while you were ill. (I know I'm a child, lol)

Get well soon!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m glad Butterscotch is back where it belongs - it must have been sad looking out at that empty parking pad.

I hope youā€™re able to drive it soon, Tracy.

OP
OP
Tracy Bowman

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have to make that decision myself by July. More than likely I'm going to keep my Ranger longer than I usually do so I'll probably get an extended warranty. Just not sure for how long just yet.
I think Iā€™m still in the window where I can buy one according to Flood Fordā€™s website. It say 41,000miles or 41 months. Husband put a call in to them today. I plan on keeping this Ranger until it just stops. Hopefully 15-20 yrs from now. :shock: Ok, I just spoke with Granier from Flood Ford and there is a 5 month grace period, so Iā€™m about to buy me an extended warranty!:turkey: (I need me one of those money trees:crackup:)

OP
OP
Tracy Bowman

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to hear you'll be back in BS again soon, and good of hubby to get keep the BS moving while you were ill. (I know I'm a child, lol)

Get well soon!
Thank you!

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Glad to hear BS is better. Now get yourself feeling better!
SMH at all the TLAs you were throwing out there. Had to look a couple up.
TGIF! :turkey: :turkey: :turkey:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think Iā€™m still in the window where I can buy one according to Flood Fordā€™s website. It say 41,000miles or 41 months. Husband put a call in to them today. I plan on keeping this Ranger until it just stops. Hopefully 15-20 yrs from now. :shock: Ok, I just spoke with Granier from Flood Ford and there is a 5 month grace period, so Iā€™m about to buy me an extended warranty!:turkey: (I need me one of those money trees:crackup:)
Ask and you shall receive. ?

money-tree-351.jpg
Sponsored