First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Ford has been using CVTs for years, and i would guess (too lazy too look) an off the shelf unit. So I wouldn’t be worried about reliability. Otoh there is a reason that Ford abandoned the CVT when it went from Freestyle to Taurus X. (A wagon I had btw, forerunner to Flex and really underrated, it and our Flex were the reasons I felt comfortable getting a Ford.) They are gaining more acceptance but it’s been a tough sell in N. Amer.
From what I can find, the Ford "CVT" is a completely different beast than the Jatco belt style CVT's that people like Nissan are using.(Junk IMO) Ford's units are actually much more like a Toyota unit (Apparently they've also licensed some of the Toyota tech for the transmission). From what I've been able to see, it operates much in the same way the Prius transmission does, which isn't anything like you'd expect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive
Sponsored

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
I wonder if they made it to be (4 wheels down tow-able) If so it would be BIG competition for the Jeeps that are.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I think it has to do with Ford’s branding plans. Bronco is going to be a brand. Hence, Bronco and Bronco Sport (and future Bronco pickup). Mustang is also going to be a brand. Hence, Mustang and Mustang Mach-E (with more to come). Makes sense and seems logical to me.
Oh, I know the theory...I just think it's dumb, as well as being badly implemented. If it was really a brand then the bronco wouldn't be "the bronco", it would be the bronco "something". If they were going to actually make this work they also wouldn't have used "sport", which consumers associate with being a trim line on all sorts of products rather than being an entirely different thing. (I know, I know, there are only so many words and they had to use "sport" because there were no other words available.) So instead of building a product portfolio under a new brand they've mostly just confused consumers, diluted the bronco name while trying to relaunch it, spent a ton of money trying and failing to explain all this, and in the long run wasting all of this time and money when they inevitably change course in a few years. Ford is its own worst enemy.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Too small and underpowered for me, but Ford did a great job in producing a cool-looking, hybridized, inexpensive, economical pickup that will sell like crazy!

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
I think this is the perfect vehicle for someone like my son who now drives an older Lincoln hybrid sedan, he needs the seating capacity for his family of 4, room for his golf clubs, and he just built a new home so he could then quit borrowing my Ranger for most of his needs. BIG WIN for Ford in my mind.
As for the CVT, Chrysler has one in their hybrid mini van and the reported non electric gas mileage is higher than the traditional transmission equipped van and also just a smoother feel to it.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
More interior space than the Ranger, but less bed. I like that they matched the truck exactly to the intended market. Not a fan of the styling, but I think they're going to sell a ton of them.
While it's not for me, I can agree with the promise it has in today's market.

Although I have no faith in them bringing it to market as a 2022.

Deleted member 1634

Does anyone know how the hybrid system actually works? I see people mentioning how they don't care for the cvt. It is listed as an eCVT though. I suppose this could be a traditional cvt that is electronically controlled. However, Honda's Insight has an 'eCVT', but it doesn't actually have a transmission in the traditional sense. The car is basically driven directly by the electric motor while the engine runs to charge the battery which powers the drive motor. The only time the ICE is connected to the wheels is at highway speeds. That being said if I didn't already have the Ranger I would definitely consider an AWD Maverick. The only thing I am not a fan of is the rotary shifter. I don't know if it is as easily manipulated as the 4wd dial in the Ranger but I've managed to accidentally put it in 4wd more than once. On the other hand our Honda passport has a push button shifter which I thought I would hate but it isn't that bad. The only thing that is annoying is the noticeable delay between when you press the button and when the transmission engages.
Others have explained the hybrid-eCVT pretty well. At least in the way I understand, given we have one. All I can say is that I have no problems with this particular hybrid-eCVT system used in the Escape, Maverick, and I'm sure eventually Bronco Sport. Not in feel, performance, or maintenance.

As far as the rotary shifter goes. I too was wondering how the rotation would feel when Ford introduced their system a bit ago. But after driving my wife's Escape Hybrid, with the rotary shifter, I can safely say that there's nothing to worry about. There's no accidental rotating. The indents/stops are strong, and the resistance is there. Beyond the fact that you can't rotate it without the engine on and foot on the brake, like a regular shifter. So it's not like driving down the road you can accidentally shift into neutral or anything.
And honestly, as much as I like the feeling of throwing a shifter, like the one in the Ranger, into drive and driving off, I've found I can get essentially the same feeling with the rotary shifter. Just grab it and give a strong flick of the wrist, and since there's stops at either end it spins all the way to drive and off we go. It feels just as satisfying and still scratches that itch for me. I honestly think most people won't have a problem with it once they actually try it out and get used to it.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
As far as the rotary shifter goes. I too was wondering how the rotation would feel when Ford introduced their system a bit ago. But after driving my wife's Escape Hybrid, with the rotary shifter, I can safely say that there's nothing to worry about. There's no accidental rotating. The indents/stops are strong, and the resistance is there. Beyond the fact that you can't rotate it without the engine on and foot on the brake, like a regular shifter. So it's not like driving down the road you can accidentally shift into neutral or anything.
I would much prefer to get back the space that is wasted pretending that shifters work the same way they did 100 years ago; I see no down side to the rotary shifter.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I hear you. I thought I wanted a Wrangler simply because I could get a manual on the thing ... and then I drove one and ... big NOPE.
I learned to drive on our old willys jeep. Then rebuilt a cj5 with my dad and grandfather in high school (that I still have, and likely always will), and now I have a mustang and motorcycle I play with. I've always loved everything manual. It seems though, the older I get (32 yesterday), the less I actually want to row my own gears. It's still fun, don't get me wrong, but long trips and stop n go traffic have lessened my enthusiasm. Just one more thing my old man predicted ha. And I agree with Mike. Soon it probably won't even be an option. A lot of the sports cars are even moving more to the high tech, faster shifting automatics. For example, the new c8 corvette.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I recently drove what I thought would be the Holy Grail of Nissan Frontiers: a 2013 King Cab 4x4 with the 4.0 and a 6 speed manual.

Very nice truck, but I found that the thrill of rowing my own gears wasn't quite as thrilling as I remembered.

I came very close to buying it, but in the end I passed on it.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Too small and underpowered for me, but Ford did a great job in producing a cool-looking, hybridized, inexpensive, economical pickup that will sell like crazy!
If a 250HP 2.0L ecoboost with an 8spd auto is underpowered for the Maverick, then so is the Ranger(NOT!)
It is a lot lighter and designed to fit the lives of actual pavement drivers with light to midrange hauling/towing needs.

Remember the Maverick buyer is not stuck with a hybrid or a CVT, and it fits in a normal sized garage..

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
I agree with most of what I've read in these comments. It is a home-run for Ford, when you consider 90% of the "complaints" people have listed are "Why doesn't my Ranger have this???" I also agree with the commenters who have stated that we would expect to see these improvements in the 6th G of the Ranger, whether that's a 22 or 23 model to be seen. I do wish they had done the same type of naming convention that they did with the Bronco/Bronco Sport, but that is minor and these people who get paid the big bucks obviously have their reasons. The Maverick will never be on my shopping list because it's not a towable vehicle but I still can't wait to see one in person. Ford is having an amazing year (despite the chip shortages which are crippling them) and all of this makes me very excited for the next-gen Ranger to be just as great.

wintech

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Passport
Others have explained the hybrid-eCVT pretty well. At least in the way I understand, given we have one. All I can say is that I have no problems with this particular hybrid-eCVT system used in the Escape, Maverick, and I'm sure eventually Bronco Sport. Not in feel, performance, or maintenance.

And honestly, as much as I like the feeling of throwing a shifter, like the one in the Ranger, into drive and driving off, I've found I can get essentially the same feeling with the rotary shifter. Just grab it and give a strong flick of the wrist, and since there's stops at either end it spins all the way to drive and off we go. It feels just as satisfying and still scratches that itch for me. I honestly think most people won't have a problem with it once they actually try it out and get used to it.
Thanks for the info. I love my Ranger but if this had been available at the time I likely would have gone with it. Honestly for what I use it for, the Ranger is too much truck for me. I have the FX4 with the tow package but don't really need to tow anything. Standard tow capability would have been fine. It just happened to have that equipment. I would get a loaded Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD for sure. Gotta have push button start and the upgraded audio system. Could live without FX4 but would probably get the tow package just in case. Looks like it would be about $35k which is crazy and less than the Ridgeline starts at. I realize that the Ridgeline is more similar in size to the Ranger but I think the Maverick is more similar to the Ridgeline than the Ranger is. The bed length basically is the only difference. The Ranger is my DD and having a more carlike ride would be nice while still being able to haul stuff and take it up to the cabin in the mountains.
Sponsored