First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Maverick is also part of the concept of disrupting our own business as well, drastically changing the way we develop products, shrinking time to market, and attacking new segments in which we know we can win.
The 2022 Maverick XLT has a bed with 10 tie down points! Does anyone want to guess how many it will have in 2023? My guess is 6.

drano38

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Supercrew
My question is what's the cost of the plywood-filled-bed option? That would be a hot seller! :LOL:
Seriously, looks nice. Since a lot of people don't use the truck bed a lot, nor need a heavier frame, the Maverick should hit a nice market segment.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Nice truck and price point. Considering how many empty beds I see on the road, this will suffice for many. Also the projected mpg on the hybrid is a gamechanger. I see Ford finally took a page out of the Toyota playbook with the bed rail system, power outlet, storage boxes, composite bedliner and tie-down d-rings which my 2005 Tacoma had. And the only thing I really miss about it.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Much closer to Ranger size than I imagined. Makes me think "what's the point?" Until I remember that Ranger will grow next version.
More interior space than the Ranger, but less bed. I like that they matched the truck exactly to the intended market. Not a fan of the styling, but I think they're going to sell a ton of them.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
This^! Everybody hates on CVTs because the early ones were a little finicky. Or because they might overheat if you try and climb Mt Everest at a snails pace. Or because they don't get that same Fast and Furious shifting sound.
The CVT in my wife's Escape Hybrid, which is likely the one in the Mav since it has essentially that same hybrid system, is wonderful. No issues whatsoever. A CVT is definitely not an issue in a vehicle like this.
spd
Forgive me if someone else has mentioned this ... but the 2.0L Ecoboost comes with an 8spd automatic and a 4000# tow rating

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I can't imagine that will happen at all. People that are looking for this kind of truck are not going to confuse a body-on-frame "real" truck for the Maverick. No hit on the Maverick which looks like a nice package I just don't think they will be cross-shopping it against Tacoma.
You are right, not in the same class, but body on frame is not the only way to build a real truck.
I'd buy the Maverick over the Tacoma.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I guess you're completely unaware of the difference between the bronco and the bronco sport? The former is built on the T6 platform (like the ranger) and the latter is built on the C2 platform (like the maverick)--there's exactly as much difference between a bronco and a bronco sport as there is between a ranger and a maverick. This is why I enjoy poking fun at the idiots at ford who came up with that naming/branding.
I think it has to do with Ford’s branding plans. Bronco is going to be a brand. Hence, Bronco and Bronco Sport (and future Bronco pickup). Mustang is also going to be a brand. Hence, Mustang and Mustang Mach-E (with more to come). Makes sense and seems logical to me.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
TL;DR

To sum up the general consensus of the posts thus far - overwhelming positive and rightfully so.

If this isn't for you - I think it's safe to say that we all want to see the dramatic interior, bed, and storage improvements make its way to the next-gen Ranger.

Ford did a phenomenal job and I've got to imagine that'll it'll carry over to future vehicles.

wintech

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Passport
Does anyone know how the hybrid system actually works? I see people mentioning how they don't care for the cvt. It is listed as an eCVT though. I suppose this could be a traditional cvt that is electronically controlled. However, Honda's Insight has an 'eCVT', but it doesn't actually have a transmission in the traditional sense. The car is basically driven directly by the electric motor while the engine runs to charge the battery which powers the drive motor. The only time the ICE is connected to the wheels is at highway speeds. That being said if I didn't already have the Ranger I would definitely consider an AWD Maverick. The only thing I am not a fan of is the rotary shifter. I don't know if it is as easily manipulated as the 4wd dial in the Ranger but I've managed to accidentally put it in 4wd more than once. On the other hand our Honda passport has a push button shifter which I thought I would hate but it isn't that bad. The only thing that is annoying is the noticeable delay between when you press the button and when the transmission engages.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I asked my wife if she would be interested in one. Im keeping my eye open for her a new vehicle. Just something to kick around and something I wont be crawling under to clean every time it rains. ?
We were looking at the New Ford Territory bc its loaded and cheap. However, I told her we would have to wait a year or two to so see how those dang CVTs hold up. I hope Ford is not using the same as Nissan bc they have a very bad rep here. Anyway, she said no, "sense you fixed the Everest up just give me that and you can get a Raptor or F150 4wd" ? Um, yeah, my head is spinning now. Might as well wait for the next gen bodies, bc if they give us a Raptor Everest that is rumored, Ill get that. A Raptor version of the Everest would be Gold. We are suppose to get V6 diesels for the next gen.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
However, I told her we would have to wait a year or two to so see how those dang CVTs hold up.
Ford has been using CVTs for years, and i would guess (too lazy too look) an off the shelf unit. So I wouldn’t be worried about reliability. Otoh there is a reason that Ford abandoned the CVT when it went from Freestyle to Taurus X. (A wagon I had btw, forerunner to Flex and really underrated, it and our Flex were the reasons I felt comfortable getting a Ford.) They are gaining more acceptance but it’s been a tough sell in N. Amer.
Sponsored