Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
His numbers are suspect. He is trying to justify buying that bemouth trailer. Why the OP asked the question is beyond me.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
His numbers are suspect. He is trying to justify buying that bemouth trailer. Why the OP asked the question is beyond me.
I agree. Until he puts that monster on a CAT scale and gets real numbers he don't know where he is in the ratings. He hasn't pulled it long enough to know what he's getting for mileage. You need to go multiple tanks back to back at highway speeds to really know. Give him a few days traveling across 44 in the southwest with some wind, then see what he thinks of his trailer. Admitted the Ranger is a monster pulling but a sail like that no thanks.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I havent been on 44 but 66 and I-40 will do.
"Does this train stop at Tucumcari? No. It will! Classic. ?

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Just an update if anyone still cares lol. I have taken my 33' 6,000 lb dry freedom express on about a dozen camping trips. I have had 0 issues and 0 scared. The ranger handles it without any issues. It's a very capable truck and very happy with the Ranger.

I have had about 8 people approach me at the campsite asking me how the Ranger handles the trailer and towing such a big trailer and I let them know I have no issues. I have probably sold ford 4 Rangers by now lol.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Rangers!! I know I am!
16222936660477940989294362574417.jpg
Jezzz that is impressive. I only tow a 19' travel trailer but man the Ranger does handle that super well. I think in my region your trailer would be too much on the Ranger but glad you are having a great experience. Florida is quite flat if not mistaken and I think that is something people need to consider before commenting.

I know my Honda Pilot towed OKAY/Good with our TT but online some people with larger trailers would say "It tows it so easily".....well, in their side of the country it probably did but not so much in my area. The region matters.

Safe travels :thumbsup:

Hannah

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 ranger
I did a experiment last week on a short camping trip, little over 200 miles , central Indiana, pretty flat, 99% interstate. 23 ft , 5000lb camper. Stayed at 55 mph. 16.6 mpg. previous trip about 400 miles, 63 mph 12.5 mpg.

20210427_153013.jpg

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Did about 250mi with my teardrop last weekend. Drove on I-40 over the Appalachian mtns and got about 21mpg.

Honestly I think about the biggest camper I'd be willing to pull any distance would be something like a Casita. Sure, the Ranger CAN pull something bigger, but if I get a camper, I want to do actual road trips with it. Not just pulling it a few miles to the nearest family campground. No way I'm dragging a behemoth halfway across the country with a little Ranger.

I also like to be able to put my camper in quiet, hidden little spots like this and getting too close to the max rating on the truck makes that a sketchy prospect.

51219601339_ab49d6daff.jpg
by Nate, on Flickr

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
I did a experiment last week on a short camping trip, little over 200 miles , central Indiana, pretty flat, 99% interstate. 23 ft , 5000lb camper. Stayed at 55 mph. 16.6 mpg. previous trip about 400 miles, 63 mph 12.5 mpg.

20210427_153013.jpg
Other than the gas mileage going down, how'd the truck handle while towing?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Looking at what he has I suspect it handle pretty well for the most part. With a towing capacity of 7,500 lbs the Ranger is pretty capable!!

Hannah

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 ranger
Great, no issues at all.
Handled great. No issues at all. I use a Anderson WDH which works very well with my truck and camper combination.

E Monty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger XLT/‘03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
After a camping trip I unhooked our Excursion (max 11k towing cap) and decided to pull the camper around the country block for a comparison. Our trailer weighs 5K, is 28’ and I had a WDH. I can honestly say to pull this trailer down a highway would be white knuckle experience. I could feel the trailer tossing the back of the truck around like a rag doll. I can only imagine what an overpass or wind feels like. There is plenty of power which is impressive. The size of the truck is the issue, it’s just too small and light. Keep the tt’s. Just my 2 cents.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
... The one time I got a surprise gust at the peak of a hill, everything straightened out almost immediately. The Ranger's built-in sway control likely restored order before I had a chance.
... I did find I needed to disable the Ford sway control, as it was fighting against the sway control hitch. So far, very happy with the trailer and truck combination.
Did you gets get some kind of alert or warning on the dash LCD about Sway Control kicking in? From what I've read, it won't be silent about anything it does.

After a camping trip I unhooked our Excursion (max 11k towing cap) and decided to pull the camper around the country block for a comparison. Our trailer weighs 5K, is 28’ and I had a WDH. I can honestly say to pull this trailer down a highway would be white knuckle experience. I could feel the trailer tossing the back of the truck around like a rag doll. I can only imagine what an overpass or wind feels like. There is plenty of power which is impressive. The size of the truck is the issue, it’s just too small and light. Keep the tt’s. Just my 2 cents.
I think there are some wildly varying experiences with long trailers due to a few things in particular:
  • Ranger suspension (stock vs FX4 vs aftermarket shocks vs sumos vs airbags etc).
  • Ranger tire pressures.
  • Particular weight-distribution & sway control hitch used (if any).
  • How well the hitch is actually configured.
  • How items within the trailer are stored / balanced.
This makes it really hard to predict how things will work out from one person to the next.

Myself, I just traded in a Jayco 174BH for a 264BH and am picking it up on Wednesday. I believe it's 29' 5" bumper to ball (26' box?), approx 4900 lbs from factory with full propane, and 6000 lbs GVWR. Some things that I am hoping will work in my favor:
  • I installed stiffer shocks in the rear of my Ranger (Eibach's).
  • I will be adding air to my tires when towing, which should help with lateral movement.
  • I have an Andersen no-way weight-distribution hitch, which I have a lot of confidence in, but I'm prepared to buy a ProPride hitch if need be. The ProPride (and the Hensley) legitimately appear to eliminate sway concerns due to their unique design compared to all other hitches.
  • I make the effort to setup the hitch properly myself rather than rely on a dealer.
  • I make the effort to not store heavy items in the rear of the trailer.
I'll report back with my experiences when I can.

Last edited:

Groo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020
Occupation
Gainfully umployed 5 Pointed Star
Groo here
After all the tail waging stories of late, I am thinking that a wdh or sway control
Will mess with the sway setting on the truck and cause more problems than it saves.
Those with tail waging , try to tow with out all the extra hardward.
Just allow the trailer to run flat not nose up and keep the rig under 70...
We only used wdh with 4horse trailers [loaded] with a truck camper.
No sway bars at all and IF the trailer started to wag , a quick brake application fixed it.
Ps live in ohio and never pulled over 60-65 [the limit]
Also , if FORD [aka the mother ship] says the truck can take 7500lb and 750 hitch,,,
You can bet the farm it will handle it and much more safely.[ sue happy as we are]

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Groo here
After all the tail waging stories of late, I am thinking that a wdh or sway control
Will mess with the sway setting on the truck and cause more problems than it saves.
Those with tail waging , try to tow with out all the extra hardward.
Just allow the trailer to run flat not nose up and keep the rig under 70...
We only used wdh with 4horse trailers [loaded] with a truck camper.
No sway bars at all and IF the trailer started to wag , a quick brake application fixed it.
Ps live in ohio and never pulled over 60-65 [the limit]
Also , if FORD [aka the mother ship] says the truck can take 7500lb and 750 hitch,,,
You can bet the farm it will handle it and much more safely.[ sue happy as we are]
Ford never said that you can disregard all other truck max ratings such ast GVWR, FGAWR, RGAWR, CGVWR and the maximum tongue weight. The max tow rating is at a minimum tongue weight. I would never pull a 30' TT at 10% tongue weight.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Did you gets get some kind of alert or warning on the dash LCD about Sway Control kicking in? From what I've read, it won't be silent about anything it does.
No, but had one popped up I wouldn't have seen it under those circumstances. I think the point of that system is to just do it's thing without distracting the driver who's attention needs to be on the road anyway.
Sponsored