2019 vs 2021 Ranger cost cutting moves for Ford

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It’s funny there was another thread talking about the dominance of the Tacoma. Now it was more about it dominating the “off-road” segment, but I did chime in about its overall dominance in the mid-size range. We are talking about a truck that JUST got power driver seats, but still sells well ahead of what Chevrolet and Ford can do.

Now there are bad batches of vehicles made across the board. It happens. Now here we have Ford going the opposite direction. Slowly taking away things little by little. Sure the bed tie downs is small thing, but it’s those small things that leave a bad taste in my mouth. Not sure how this will play out for Ford, but it certainly will have me second guessing a Ford product if I ever change out of the Ranger.

E725E8F4-C4AA-41BE-9727-0B94F338B055.jpeg
Sponsored

Reactions: DHH

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
4 tie downs in my '20 manufactured in Nov '19. There are 4 at the bed corners which is plenty in a 6' bed for me. Where they eliminated the other 2 happens to be right where you can wedge a 2x6 as a cargo divider to keep cargo at the back of the bed.
1616159824512.png
Which are really handy to criss-cross straps to secure a load.

PalmettoRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4x4 Magnetic Ranger XLT SuperCrew with STX package
I do agree with not getting a first year run or at least waiting until the end run but the Ranger was still made ROW. The engine & tranny were already in several other vehicles so they're not a new redesign. I think some who had issues early on were isolated ones and I remember there were a bad batch of injectors (isolated incident) which could've been in any vehicle. Mine was made on 6/12/19 and Iv'e had ZERO issues and have all the bed ties and everything else.

With that said I'm getting my Bronco in '22 because this is a totally new design and I'm not wanting to be the test dummy in year one. Been there, done that, have the t shirt and don't want another. ?
I mostly agree with this. I knew I was going to get a '19 Ranger for the reasons you give and because if there is anything Ford should be able to roll out without screwing up it is a pickup. But I do think there can be minor kinks that get sorted out later in a production run for any vehicle. Even with the ROW experience, they were still making some design modifications and starting up production at a different plant with some changes in the suppliers. Stuff happens.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
RE: tie downs, 4 VS 6.
Forgive my rudimentary drawing, I made a graphic to show 6 tie downs vs 4.
For those who desire the strapping options 6 tie downs provide you, in less than the span of your wide open stretched arms (5.5ft) you can get some loop fasteners at McMaster Carr for a couple bucks. The created spider web of six straps seems overkill for 90% of the items you'll jam into your bed.
1616170959930.png
Untitled.jpg
You're right, crawling around adding all those straps is much more convenient than just throwing one ratchet strap over the middle!

The pricing info just shows how little Ford saved with this dick move.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
When I did my comparison shopping my list showed that the 2019 Ranger Lariat offered:

- 6 tie down brackets in bed
- lighted gear selector indicator
- engine cover
- pen holder for center console
- eco boost emblem
- folding rear headrest

And the Tacoma TRD Pro provided:

- somewhat sluggish engine performance
- gear hunting going up mountain inclines
- rear drum brakes
- uncomfortable seating position
- higher price than Ranger
- mpg numbers lagging

Can't explain why I'm driving the Ranger

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
How many tie downs in the bed? 2019 had 6 and 2020+ have 4 included.
What steering knuckles do you have? Sometime in 2020 they changed from aluminum to iron.
Oh and they removed the EcoBoost badging.
My 2019 only has 4..... granted it was purchased almost mid 2020, and was one of the last 2019s, which means it was probably a mid-year change since it's easy to do.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 only has 4..... granted it was purchased almost mid 2020, and was one of the last 2019s, which means it was probably a mid-year change since it's easy to do.
Okay Folks,

As I have stated many times before. The center tie downs were deleted by the Plant Vehicle Team, lead at that time by Roger B, a friend of mine. It was done by running change, not mid model year. I have no idea of savings but Roger retired pretty soon after the deed was done. PVT is part of Ford Light Truck Engineering and takes charge of the in production Rangers, located at the plant, while the forward model engineers in the Engineering/Research campus work on the New Vehicle Programs.

Yes it was done as a cost reduction action. Was it a wise decision...my opinion is no but I am not in charge, so my opinion does not count.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Yes it was done as a cost reduction action. Was it a wise decision...my opinion is now but I am not in charge, so my opinion does not count.
I think if it was just the tie-down deletion, the discussion would have tapered off long ago. The problem is that as this platform is maturing the list of deleted or substituted parts/options/features keep increasing. It doesn't seem that anything is being added or improved within a trim-line. I have an early 2020 and when I bought my truck I already was a bit disappointed by the changes. If I was buying now, I certainly would reconsider.

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
I am so happy Ford did not delete the rear disc brakes as standard in my 11/20 ELT scab Ranger. My previous 3 year old Tacoma had rear drum brakes...don't know if this is still standard with Tacoma.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I thought that GMC had the Canyon Denali?
It does look nice inside...but strangely enough it still doesn't have dual zone climate...only digital
Yes they do have the Denali, but that is just another example of what I'm getting at. The mid-size Denali is nowhere near as nice as the full-size Denali.

I feel like all the manufacturers are laughing at the mid-size buyers. For what I paid for my Lariat, I could option a F150 XLT and have better options, with better finishes.
I've done this excercise before. But for your sake I just did it again. To match MSRP dollar for dollar with my loaded SCrew FX-4 you get NOTHING.
When I saw your post, I had to take another look. Below is what I came up with, based on MRSP of my Ranger. Keep in mind I'm in Canada and using Ford.ca

2019 Ranger $52,764 Lariat (2021 price $53,229)
Crew cab
2.3L
White Platinum
Sync3/Nav
Remote start
Adaptive Cruise
FX4
Running boards
Trailer tow
Keyless entry
Bed liner
18” wheels
Sport
Mirrors: Power fold & adjust, heated
16 gal fuel tank
Leather seats, 8-way power, no memory
Single position pedals
Rear camera

2021 F150 XLT $53,414
Extended cab
2.7L
Space White
Sync4/Nav
Remote Start
Cruise control
FX4
Running boards
Trailer tow with Protrailer backup assist and Brake controller
Integrated
keyless entry
Bedliner
17" wheels
Mirrors: Power adjust, heated
Extended range 34 gal fuel tank
Cloth seats, 8-power w/memory
Power adjustable
pedals
360 degree camera
Both vehicles are basically the same price.
The Ranger beats the F150 for Crew cab, Adaptive cruise, Sport package, Power folding mirrors, and leather seats.
The F150 beats the Ranger for Sync4, Protrailer backup assist, Trailer brake controller, Integrated keyless entry, 34gal fuel tank, Memory seats, Power adjustable pedals, and 360 degree camera.

Some of the differences aren't in "bold" because I feel they aren't necessarily an "upgrade".
I've sat in the back of an F150 extended cab and I feel it is just as comfortable as the back of the Rangers crew cab. The Sport package is only different colored wheel opening trim, bumpers, and different wheels, so that's not really an upgrade, so much as personal preference. The only thing I like about the Sport package is the wheels and mine came optioned with different wheels, so for me, it doesn't add value. The Ranger does have leather seats, but then again, I don't feel like that is an upgrade because the leather is of such poor quality and fit is bad, so I'd much rather have cloth seats. Unfortunately, Ford forces you into leather if you want certain other options.
Overall, (IMO) the standard finishes on the F150 are nicer than the Ranger. The Ranger's (and all mid-size trucks) interiors just feels cheaper than full-size

If I was getting an f150 I'd be looking at the Platinum trim level, not XLT. Just checked B&P, it would be about $30k more than I paid for my ranger configured the way I want it. But I don't want something that big. I guess I could be the only buyer in the US who wants more in a smaller package, but I suspect not.
You are not. I too want more in a smaller package.
Now I'm not suggesting that Ford (or any manufacturer) jack up the prices of all Rangers in order to make them more luxurious. That's what options are for. I want a good off road truck with all the luxuries that are available in every other segment. How come I can option out a tiny Kia Soul better than a mid-size truck? I would love to have full panaramic roof, 10 way adjustable seats with memory and heated/cooled, power pedals, power rear window, fabric wrapped door panels, Protrailer back up assist with a brake controller, some type of tailgate step, stake pockets, multiple tie down points, decently powered 110v bed outlet. Oh yeah.................and a dampened tailgate!
And yes, I do know it may cost me as much as full-size. I am prepared to pay for it.........and I do not think I am alone on that.

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Yes they do have the Denali, but that is just another example of what I'm getting at. The mid-size Denali is nowhere near as nice as the full-size Denali.

When I saw your post, I had to take another look. Below is what I came up with. Keep in mind I'm in Canada and using Ford.ca

2019 Ranger $52,764 Lariat (2021 price $53,229) 2021 F150 XLT $53,414
Crew cab Extended cab
2.3L 2.7L
White Platinum Space White
Sync3/Nav Sync4/Nav
Remote start Remote start
Adaptive Cruise Cruise control
FX4 FX4
Running boards Running boards
Trailer tow Trailer tow with ProTrailer & Brake controller
Keyless entry Integrated keyless entry
Bed liner Bedliner
18” wheels 17" Wheels
Sport No Sport
Mirrors: Power fold & adjust, heated Mirrors: Power adjust, heated
16 gal fuel tank Extended range 34 gal fuel tank
Leather seats, 8-way power, no memory Cloth seats, 8-way power w/memory
Single position pedals Power adjustable pedals
Rear camera 360 degree camera

Both vehicles are basically the same price.
The Ranger beats the F150 for Crew cab, Adaptive cruise, Sport package, Power folding mirrors, and leather seats.
The F150 beats the Ranger for Sync4, Protrailer backup assist, Trailer brake controller, Integrated keyless entry, 34gal fuel tank, Memory seats, Power adjustable pedals, and 360 degree camera.

Some of the differences aren't in "bold" because I feel they aren't necessarily an "upgrade".
I've sat in the back of an F150 extended cab and I feel it is just as comfortable as the back of the Rangers crew cab. The Sport package is only different colored wheel opening trim, bumpers, and different wheels, so that's not really an upgrade, so much as personal preference. The only thing I like about the Sport package is the wheels and mine came optioned with different wheels, so for me, it doesn't add value. The Ranger does have leather seats, but then again, I don't feel like that is an upgrade because the leather is of such poor quality and fit is bad, so I'd much rather have cloth seats. Unfortunately, Ford forces you into leather if you want certain other options.
Overall, (IMO) the standard finishes on the F150 are nicer than the Ranger. The Ranger's (and all mid-size trucks) interiors just feels cheaper than full-size

You are not. I too want more in a smaller package.
Now I'm not suggesting that Ford (or any manufacturer) jack up the prices of all Rangers in order to make them more luxurious. That's what options are for. I want a good off road truck with all the luxuries that are available in every other segment. How come I can option out a tiny Kia Soul better than a mid-size truck? I would love to have full panaramic roof, 10 way adjustable seats with memory and heated/cooled, power pedals, power rear window, fabric wrapped door panels, Protrailer back up assist with a brake controller, some type of tailgate step, stake pockets, multiple tie down points, decently powered 110v bed outlet. Oh yeah.................and a dampened tailgate!
And yes, I do know it may cost me as much as full-size. I am prepared to pay for it.........and I do not think I am alone on that.
Apparently Rangers are more expensive and F-150s are cheaper in Canada?

That is not at all the way things break down here.

For me to option out an F-150 the same as my Lariat I'd be around $55k-$60k.

Personally I avoid lower trim levels. I've explained it for decades to people by saying I'd rather have a loaded Ranger than a stripped F-150.

Just now I've finally done it.

Plus I love looking down on folks who spent 50% more than me for a truck to do the same weekend chores that doesn't fit in their garage.

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat, 2003 XLT Ford Ranger
Occupation
Beekeeper
-doors on 2021 must not be sound sprayed or something, closing them sounds tinny. On 2019 closing doors hard sound solid.

none of this big, just surprised at how they cut costs!
I was actually going to post here about this exact thing. My 2020 Lariat doors sound like I'm hitting a empty oil barrel when I close them. Sounds so f'n cheap. Cars that cost half the price sound better.

And look, I get that they "tune" doors and it makes no structural difference when they sound solid as opposed to this. I just don't want my $42K vehicle to sound like a Yugo.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
i can easily go to a Canadian Ford dealers site, find a Ranger at a price, then find an F150 at the same price, click compare and painfully go through each feature one by one and see what has more value for the same price.
Some of the F150's are hitting some raw dog prices on rebates, so you can essentially find a sweet F150 with a lot more options than an equivalent priced Ranger. If you go MSRP for both, removing any deals, then you always get a much better equipped Ranger dollar for dollar.
when I did this exercise back when I was buying my Ranger, the difference for similarly equipped was almost $15gs more for the F150.
That's about what I'm seeing here as well.

With F-150s being Ford's bread and butter they are definitely times where the incentives are much better. But right now on a "new" model that doesn't seem to be the case.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Apparently Rangers are more expensive and F-150s are cheaper in Canada?
I haven't check the Canadian/US price difference between an F150 and Ranger, but I have checked the difference between an F150 lariat and Raptor and noticed that Ford puts a different percentage increase on those models.
Last time I checked, the Canadian increase over US cost was about 10% on the Lariat and about 30% on the Raptor. Based on the exchange rate at the time, the Lariat's cost was subsidized and the Raptor was full exchange rate.
Sponsored