First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 lariat 4x4 ranger
Occupation
Engineering
That's basically my complaint about the entire mid-size truck segment. It's pretty much the only vehicle segment that doesn't have an upscale model. The best you can get in this segment is mediocre.
I was hoping Ford would be first to improve the mid-size market with the upcoming next gen, but based on what the OP said, it looks as if they are going in the opposite direction. :thumbsdown:
I’m overall impressed with my lariat, Ford did a nice job. Stereo is great with the B&O, competes with my Audi’s. Electronic driving aids work great. Overall pretty nice.
Three things I wanted but could get were electric rear window, sunroof and AC seats :(
Sponsored

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
Oh and they removed the EcoBoost badging
I'd argue this move made sense seeing as how the EcoBoost is the only available engine option for this truck.

99% of the complaints are legit though. The 4 tiedown hooks in the bed and the engine cover removal bother me considerably.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I can understand that everyone tries to cut corners, but cutting corners as your slowly progress through the model years is ridiculous. Ford is pretty much is shooting themselves in the foot. Why would I trade up to a newer truck at this point?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
That's basically my complaint about the entire mid-size truck segment. It's pretty much the only vehicle segment that doesn't have an upscale model. The best you can get in this segment is mediocre.
I was hoping Ford would be first to improve the mid-size market with the upcoming next gen, but based on what the OP said, it looks as if they are going in the opposite direction. :thumbsdown:
Yeah, the ranger is IMO the best of the lot, but none of the manufacturers will sell you a premium product unless you super size to a full size. (Jokes on them, I'll just keep the money!)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
-on 2019 both drivers and passenger head rest are nicely stitched and adjust horizontally, on 2021 only drivers side. Passenger side isn’t even stitched to match the seats
Is that what they meant with the vague language about a change in the number of directions for the seat? That is quite possibility the stupidest, cheapest thing I've ever heard of since the tie downs.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Love my 2019 XLT has all the stuff I wanted. I was looking at 2021s and they just felt different to me I know its pretty much the same truck mechanically But they just didn't seem like that great of a value compared to the 2019s knowing about the all the deletions and the higher prices.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
It is like wine, each model year is different. In some ways better in other ways worse. Since I have a 2019 vintage year edition I’d like to think Ford was out to make a great first impression.

The secret of happiness in general is to stop comparing to something else. You got what you got and be happy, mod away if needed and don’t overthink it.

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I've got an early model. February 2019 manufacture date. I've got all the goodies and no problems :p (knock on wood). Heck I remember when it was such a big deal 6 months into driving the thing when I saw my first other ranger in the wild! Now they're everywhere.
Picked mine up feb 4th 2019. It was 6 months before I saw another one, and I’m near where they build them.

Also, mine is an xlt and it has the glove box damper.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Yeah, the ranger is IMO the best of the lot, but none of the manufacturers will sell you a premium product unless you super size to a full size. (Jokes on them, I'll just keep the money!)
I agree. None of them have a premium product. It is the only vehicle segment that is like that. I'm now waiting for the next gen Ranger & Canyon/Colorado, to see if they have a better option. If neither step up, then I'll guess I'll be going in a different direction.
And I don't know about the joke being on them. I feel like all the manufacturers are laughing at the mid-size buyers. For what I paid for my Lariat, I could option a F150 XLT and have better options, with better finishes.

865RangerVol

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger. 2020 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Really? Huh. Both are Lariat? (I know your profile shows 2021 is lariat)
I wonder if XLT just never had that.
My early 2020 XLT has it. The loaner late 20 XLT I had from the dealership did NOT.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
I've got an early model. February 2019 manufacture date. I've got all the goodies and no problems :p (knock on wood). Heck I remember when it was such a big deal 6 months into driving the thing when I saw my first other ranger in the wild! Now they're everywhere.
Same here...when I got mine I saw none...then as weeks and months went by I'd see a few more here and there.

NOW...two are in my neighborhood....and I might be responsible for that. :p
Sponsored